Buying Sliders?

eparisien

Reaction score
Visit site
What do I look for when buying sliders? Is there a certain make to veer away from, are they all made of the same material, what's the average cost of these (Canadian dollar)? Thanks.

oldtimer

Oh Noes!!
Reaction score
Visit site
There are a lot of different frame sliders out there - it's all in preference. There is one thing I do want to make important. It's about the new bolts and how much thread is on that bolt. You can see it here: Frame sliders : I want a motorcycle!

Also there are a lot of threads on frame sliders in the forum. From what I found, the most popular were

motovation
shogun
puig
LSL
t-rexx
no-name eBay (I'd stay away from these)

Last edited:

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
What do I look for when buying sliders? Is there a certain make to veer away from, are they all made of the same material, what's the average cost of these (Canadian dollar)? Thanks.

Things to look out for - make sure they have a metal insert.
After much searching, I bought OES sliders last week. To me they look as good as the Motovation, but they are a LOT cheaper ($38 plus $8 shipping to my house, don't know about Canada.) You have your choice of diameters (1.75" or 2",44.5 mm or 51 mm) and a rounded or angled cut on the outside edge. I ordered on Wednesday, August 27, they were received Friday, August 29. They seem to be quite high quality, the only slight negative is that they supply hex head bolts (of the same 10.9 strength as the stock bolts) instead of the allen socket head bolts.
newFZ6Pic-250x158.png

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Stay away from Shogun unless you find some that are listed as extended length. I have Shogun sliders now and I feel they are not adequate in length to protect the bike. I plan on getting some Motivation sliders during the winter to mount before spring.

Most are made of Delrin ( DuPont Heritage: Delrin® ) from Dupont. Cheaper ones are made of less than quality plastics. For the FZ6, a set will almost always have a longer slider for the clutch or left side of the bike. As stated, metal inserts or posts for the pucks are almost a must.

One thing I've never checked on though... has anyone gotten sliders where you *know* you can order a single replacement puck should the need arise?

oldtimer

Oh Noes!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Things to look out for - make sure they have a metal insert.
After much searching, I bought OES sliders last week. To me they look as good as the Motovation, but they are a LOT cheaper ($38 plus $8 shipping to my house, don't know about Canada.) You have your choice of diameters (1.75\" or 2\",44.5 mm or 51 mm) and a rounded or angled cut on the outside edge. I ordered on Wednesday, August 27, they were received Friday, August 29. They seem to be quite high quality, the only slight negative is that they supply hex head bolts (of the same 10.9 strength as the stock bolts) instead of the allen socket head bolts.
newFZ6Pic-250x158.png

sirisaac - how are the threads on the bolts they sent you? I would love to find a cheaper alternative to the motovation sliders (which I currently have). If I have to replace the sliders, not too crazy about paying anouter $100 for the sliders :\

oldtimer

Oh Noes!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! Any recommendation on source of vendors?

Motovation
FZ6_lg.jpg

motovation: Buy them directly from MotovationUsa.com

Shogun
3f26f5b0a6a12e5e027bdfd28330ead7_rough.jpg

shogun: I found out about these from KneeDraggers.com. Buyer Beware: there have been multiple posts of people complaining about kneedragger's lousy in-stock quantity system. I've placed two separate orders with them only to find out a week later the item is backordered for multiple weeks. I cancelled both orders without any problems.

T-Rex
N67.jpg

t-rex: T-Rex Racing. I think they also sell on ebay. If I could do it again, I would probably buy these since they are the cheapest but I found a post on this forum where someone received bolts with the wrong length of threads and ended up stripping their engine mount threads. T-Rex eventually sent him some proper bolts.

PUIG
c3dca58a6b367dbfeac2b637be458ae7_rough.jpg

Puig: Available from KneeDraggers.com I didn't get a feel for how good these were...so I didn't order them.

LSL
8cf7e4b534817c5fe7757b2f0ca85b27_rough.jpg

LSL: These frame sliders looked more cosmetic than functional. Well - maybe functional for track use, but worthless in stationary falls / street use imo. I think KneeDraggers.com sells them also.

D2Moto or eBay
FS017-Carbon.jpg

DO NOT BUY THESE!! The material they are made of is crap and the bolts will have the wrong number of threads. I have a pair of them sitting on my garage shelf never to be used.

Last edited:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Stay away from Shogun unless you find some that are listed as extended length. I have Shogun sliders now and I feel they are not adequate in length to protect the bike. I plan on getting some Motivation sliders during the winter to mount before spring.

Most are made of Delrin ( DuPont Heritage: Delrin® ) from Dupont. Cheaper ones are made of less than quality plastics. For the FZ6, a set will almost always have a longer slider for the clutch or left side of the bike. As stated, metal inserts or posts for the pucks are almost a must.

One thing I've never checked on though... has anyone gotten sliders where you *know* you can order a single replacement puck should the need arise?

I am fairly sure you can get replacement pucks from motovation...... just give them a call and I'm sure they will square you away.

To the O.P..... I bought FS6 sliders and regretted it. Should have went with motovation. (thats who I ended up getting my hardware from!)

jsw4178

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a set of Motovation Axle sliders but have not installed them yet.
Not sure they are needed , but they can't hurt.

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Uncaged Sliders haven't been mentioned yet. I saw some folks get pretty good results from them after, uh, incidents so I picked up a pair a while back. I like 'em.

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
sirisaac - how are the threads on the bolts they sent you? I would love to find a cheaper alternative to the motovation sliders (which I currently have). If I have to replace the sliders, not too crazy about paying anouter $100 for the sliders :\

Well, right now the threads are torqued to 40 ft-lbs, holding the sliders to the bike. If you mean did they have enough threads, I did a quick check when I put them in. They were slightly (maybe 1/8" to 3/16") shorter than the stock bolt, i.e., the length sticking beyond the slider with the bolt fully inserted compared to the total length of the stock bolt. Looked like plenty of threads to me.

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone know if the Motovation (or other) sliders will work with the full fairing? Not too keen on spending $ on something I can't use..

Image of the bike with full fairing:
2008 FZ6 Grand Tour S2 ABS

FYI, I still have the stock short screen, and no top box.. :p Makes for a sporty look imo.

oldtimer

Oh Noes!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Uncaged Sliders haven't been mentioned yet. I saw some folks get pretty good results from them after, uh, incidents so I picked up a pair a while back. I like 'em.

I saw "uncaged" sliders being mentioned, found their website through a search on this forum, and it was an abandoned site. Not sure they are in business anymore...

oldtimer

Oh Noes!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone know if the Motovation (or other) sliders will work with the full fairing? Not too keen on spending $ on something I can't use..

Image of the bike with full fairing:
2008 FZ6 Grand Tour S2 ABS

FYI, I still have the stock short screen, and no top box.. :p Makes for a sporty look imo.

Nice and sexy fairings. Looking at the picture, it doesn't look like you will be able to use them unless you drill a hole into the fairing to get to the engine mount.

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
I sent in the order for some motovation sliders yesterday and today I got the email that there are none in stock :(

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice and sexy fairings. Looking at the picture, it doesn't look like you will be able to use them unless you drill a hole into the fairing to get to the engine mount.

Yeah, I know I'll have to cut a hole in the fairing, but that can be done nicely. Just need to know if the sliders will have an affect, seeing as the fairing builds out a little on both sides.

-Chris

Alpine

Reaction score
Visit site
It was mentioned above that your sliders should "ideally" be two different sizes to protect the clutch housing, and this makes sense to me. My Motovations came as the same size and I'm skeptical as to whether the left one will do me much good. Is this correct or do I need to follow up with them. I called Motovation before posting this and, as mentioned, they are out of stock so they could not confirm lengths for me. Help?