Buzzyness Observations...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Scott, for the detailed reply. So, I just loosen them up and then re torque them down to 40ft lbs?

Yes, BUT first loosen the exhaust clamps (both ends of the cat and if a mount-behind rear brake master cylinder as I re-call) first.

*You basically want everything that's taught(at the rear end), loosened up just enough, maybe move it just a bit (by hand), just so it sits happy on it's own (NO TENSION). Tighten the sub-frame.

Then jiggle the exhaust just a bit (probably won't even see it) and re-tighten it as well.

We're just trying to make all the parts come together W/O stress- Which if stressed, could make vibs that you'll feel..

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike has been feeling "buzzy" lately to the point where my wife complained of the vibes on one of her rare rides with me. I had been expecting them to smooth out with the onset of Winter here in South Africa as they usually do with the cooler ambient temperatures, but they have instead become more noticeable.

So I decided today to check it out after reading this thread. Lo and behold the right front engine mounting bolt and top left subframe were not as tight as they should have been... so I loosened the exhaust mounting bolts under the seat and the two joints, loosened and re-torqued the subframe mounting bolts, re-torqued the engine mounting bolt before tightening the exhaust bolts again.

The test ride proved that things were a whole lot better in the vibe department. The bike has always had a buzz in the seat at around 5200 rpm but was now reduced, but the super smooth feel at 6-6500 rpm has returned. :D

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
I just did this as well. My bike did not have much vibration in the first place but this definitely made a noticeable difference. I just loosen the screws near the tank under the seat and then the ones on the side directly below those. Did not mess with the exhaust as I did not know what to loosen... I had the bike on the center stand and then I just made the bike go up and down on the stand in case anything would shift freely and re-tighten to 40ftlbs. Bike feels good.

Thanks!

Cra1g

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to revive an old thread, but it came across a search I did on fixing vibrations on the FZ6. I've been dealing with some annoying buzzing/vibrations, almost all of it in the right handlebar and in the footpegs at certain higher RPMs. And it only gets worse the higher the RPMs go, with certain ranges worse than others (~7K is especially bad).

I did what Townsends recommended: loosening the subframe and the entire exhaust system until it's all relaxed, then torquing it all back down. Didn't really seem to help any. I'm at a loss!

I replaced the chain and both sprockets, replaced the spark plugs and checked the spark plug caps, did a TB sync (although didn't sync at 4K RPMs that some recommend; didn't want to bug the neighbors). I've checked the torque on the engine mount bolts, tried heavier bar ends (that actually made it worse!). Not sure what else to try :(