Calsci screen 8, 9.5 or 11"

Clunk, could you elaborate a little about the Laminar?? I may do it for cool weather!!
The Laminar Lip is the extra curved piede of plastic attached to the top of the windshield by four pieces of 3M dual lock tape. It basically influences the airflow off the top of the screen to raise it up a few more inches. The CalSci 11" by itself caused quite a roar in my helmet (Shoei RF-1000), but the Laminar Lip knocked the noise level down to a comfortable level (I would say comparable to driving with the window partly down in your car). I can now ride with my visor up until 45-50ish, and then with it closed at highway speeds I can clearly hear the engine over the wind noise that's left.

I'm actually considering going without a screen for the summer to increase the airflow to my body, but I'm not sure I'll like being tossed around by the wind again ...

The Laminar Lip is the extra curved piede of plastic attached to the top of the windshield by four pieces of 3M dual lock tape. It basically influences the airflow off the top of the screen to raise it up a few more inches. The CalSci 11" by itself caused quite a roar in my helmet (Shoei RF-1000), but the Laminar Lip knocked the noise level down to a comfortable level (I would say comparable to driving with the window partly down in your car). I can now ride with my visor up until 45-50ish, and then with it closed at highway speeds I can clearly hear the engine over the wind noise that's left.

I'm actually considering going without a screen for the summer to increase the airflow to my body, but I'm not sure I'll like being tossed around by the wind again ...
Thanks, I noticed Laminar is out of stock on all models!! I emailed them about availability. We'll see.

I put a Laminar Lip on top of an 11" CalSci to finally get my peace and quiet. Shoots the aesthetics all to hell, but you can't beat the wind/noise protection (or maybe you can with a Cee Bailey?).

View attachment 19384

I like the looks of the Cee Bailey a lot better ...

Which one do you have? The picture does not look like the FZ6 version.

It's the Cee B. 24" and was thinking of adding the Laminar LIP!

I was actually wondering which one clunk had on his Calsci. :Flash: I have a Calsci too and noise really gets to me sometimes, so instead of buying my fourth screen, I thought I would try out the Laminar.

Pictures of the FZ6 versions did not look like what he had on his bike so I was wondering which one he had.

I was actually wondering which one clunk had on his Calsci. :Flash: I have a Calsci too and noise really gets to me sometimes, so instead of buying my fourth screen, I thought I would try out the Laminar.

Pictures of the FZ6 versions did not look like what he had on his bike so I was wondering which one he had.
Sorry, I was waiting on clunk also!!

I tried riding around without a windshield today. I felt like I had to pull my head forward at high speeds, and it stressed my neck a little.

I am 6'4", and with the standard windshield it blows the air directly at my neck! It goes up my helmet and dries my eyes out.

I may try lowering the handlebars. I saw that discussed in another thread, and the posture change might make a difference. From what I hear about the taller windshields, they might not be a real solution?

With the standard windshield, cut to be a few inches shorter and with a hole in the bottom, that would direct most of the wind lower and toward my chest.. but would I still have to stress my neck the same as riding without a windshield at all?

but would I still have to stress my neck the same as riding without a windshield at all?
Yes, you would be. While it may be quieter to ride with no windshield, it makes it harder to ride at "high"way speeds unless you are pretty much hugging the bike (which is very uncomfortable on FZ6).

Don't bother, I am 6' 2" and brought the 11" high and it flows the wind at a point that it sounds like a freight train. The way the screen angles back it deflrcts the wind right into the helmet. I did get the touring screen from Yamaha and its quiter. It's the angle of the faring mount.

Get the 11' AND add the Laminar Lip (for the FZ6) to it.

Problem solved but it won't win any beauty awards!

Fred

Get the 11' AND add the Laminar Lip (for the FZ6) to it.

Problem solved but it won't win any beauty awards!

Fred

Oh, I misunderstood. The Laminar Lip is actually NOT the FZ6 version. Since the CalSci windshield is significantly different from the stock FZ6, I went with the 14" universal cruiser-style. The curvature is not an exact fit, but the size is correct.

And yes, it hasn't won any beauty awards ...

Thank you for your post.

Is the Cee Bailey screen specific for the FZ6 or is it a generic one?

Cee Bailey screens are sprecific to FZ6, but if you want to add other things to it, they will not be FZ6 specific.

Why buy a windscreen then modify it with another attachment? Isnt it possible to modify the OEM windscreen and get the same result?

I ended up giving up on the lip. Didn't like the look of the velcro!! I think after a few thousand miles I got used to the cold and wind. Bought a balaclava and a full faced flip up HJC helmet. Those 2 items made a huge difference. Hope this helps somebody.

Why buy a windscreen then modify it with another attachment? Isnt it possible to modify the OEM windscreen and get the same result?

Anything is possible. Same result? That will be debatable. Everybody's taste and opinion is different.

Back