Cam Chain tensioning

Fortunately, all I paid for is the gasket and washer. Less than $3.00 american. The tensioner itself only gets replaced if it is faulty. The little plunger moved freely so I put it back on the bike.
Don't know much about fuel injectors but my noise is the same wether the tank is full or empty. The sound does seem to be coming from the area of the injectors. It dosen't make the tapping until it warms up though. Never cold.
I guess I should just get loud pipes and forget about it huh? :surrender:
As a side note, Since my bike sounds funny, I decided to make it look cooooler. I did the dual headlight mod and added front LED flushmount signals with a electronic direct replacement flash regulator (that was a mouthful) so I didn't have to use resistors. They look/work great. Pod mod is next for running lights. Got the wiring soldered up to the sockets. Just need some time to take the cowling apart and drill out the socket holes.

+1 try ear plugs and pipes, although once you get use to ear plug if you ride without them you'll really notice all the little noises!!!

The sound does seem to be coming from the area of the injectors. It dosen't make the tapping until it warms up though. Never cold.
QUOTE]

Same as with me, very bizzare. I get on every morning and think its fixed, then the bugger warms up lol. So +2 for loder pipes. I wont be getting those for a while as baby Perry #3 arrives next week.

Thanks for all your help though mate.

Neil
Obviously if I resolve the problem you will be first to know. What year is your bike BTW?

Congratulations on Perry #3 ! Just got married 4 months ago. No babies in the near future for us. I don't want to get a sidecar just yet.
My bike is a 2005. Just under 4500 miles and i'm the second owner. I suppose the tapping is the reason the original owner parted with her.
Hey Sportrider, Did you say you had an XS850 ? I just sold my '79' XS750. That bike was a blast to ride. Wore earplugs (no helmet law in Pennsylvania). I miss the ol' girl. Check out my tidy tail with the short stalks. I did that before I knew what a tidy tail was. Just thought it looked cleaner.

Last edited:
I took my bike to a new dealer today. After about 2 nano seconds he said that the cam chain tensioner was failing, This will be done under warrenty hurrah, if that doesn't sort the rattle then he will investigate the cam chain.

Cam chain tensoner replaced.............................................................................fixed or I pray that it is. It is definately much different. Over the last few weeks the tapping was coming in at as low as 1390 rpm. Now its virtually gone. The tapping sounds like a purr now and not a bag of spanners.
I am still sceptical and will keep an ear open for it. Unfortunately I arrived so late in the evening to pick the bike up that I did not get a full break down on the work. I think that the cam chain guide was also replaced to. I am though very happy.

Neil

Cam chain tensoner replaced.............................................................................fixed or I pray that it is. It is definately much different. Over the last few weeks the tapping was coming in at as low as 1390 rpm. Now its virtually gone. The tapping sounds like a purr now and not a bag of spanners.
I am still sceptical and will keep an ear open for it. Unfortunately I arrived so late in the evening to pick the bike up that I did not get a full break down on the work. I think that the cam chain guide was also replaced to. I am though very happy.

Neil

Neil - How many miles/kilos on your bike when you first noticed the noise?

From the first 3 miles when I got it, It took straight back to be told they all sound like that. The engine had 3000miles on it.

WOW! I am surprised, Japanese motorcycles are so good and they almost all use the Toyota model of manufacturing which allows the assembler to stop the manufacturing line if there is a problem. One of those things I guess. I'm glad you were able to get it fixed. :thumbup:

*&^%$"?*"^&$ and Bugger

Cam chain started rattlling again today, I have just e-mailed the dealer.
Bit fed up with it really:confused::mad:

Hey...

my 06 bike also make the ticking noice @ around 3000-4300 rpms. At around 3700 it's the worst. I wouldn't worry to much about it though. it's probably the valve heads hitting the conic seats on the top of each sylinder, as can be heard in many cars. It oftens helps to add a ticking remover to the oil. i have not tried that yet though.

I would think this sound can be heard in all fz6 bikes and probably also in r6 bikes, as they virtually use the same motor block in both bikes, the only difference being a tuned down version in the fz6.

Back