Can somebody check my math?

Jessie B

Reaction score
Visit site
For fuel mileage: I filled the tank completely, I mean as much as it would hold and hit the trip button. Next time I stopped for fuel, this is what i got; 18 mi. on the F-trip, 163.4 miles on the trip meter. As far as i know the trip meter continues to count even when the F-trip comes on.

I refilled the tank with as much as it would hold, 4.341 gallons. (which is strange because i expected closer to 5 gallons) Anyway when I divide it out I come out to 37.64 mpg, which seems a little low to me.

I have only had the bike since July, it has 6,437mi on the odo. I am about 5' 8" tall, about 140 pounds. I wear full gear, drive like a sane person, watch my tire pressure, and regularly carry about 15lb of extra gear strapped to the back.

This is a commuter bike, and spends long amounts of time cruising at about the same speed and rpm. It still has the stock rear tire. Its pretty worn, and will be replaced at the 7000mi service.

Is my math right? I thought I would be getting closer to the mid 40's for mpg, or could it just be a winter fuel blend thing. Its been in the 50's- 70's here ambient temps lately.

Thanks

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site
Your math is right and don't feel bad. I get about the same (average 38mpg and I drive like gramma Steph). When I first bought the bike back in August 3k miles ago, I was getting 42mpg.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
You picked the wrong bike if you wanted to get 60mpg. It sounds right. Also depending on your throttle hand you should be able to go 30 miles on the f-trip.

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
Where do you buy your gas from? I find shell is the best.
Do you have any aftermarket parts?
-1 Front sprocket?
Do you do a lot of stop and go riding?
What rpm are you shifting?

All these factors can make an imput on your gas mileage

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
wow, i ride fairly agressiely and i get about 48-52MPG depending on the tank.

wonder why? I am also a good chunk heavier than you are...

waymaster

Reaction score
Visit site
my fz6 2007 does around 36/38mpg but fitted power commander and now it a lot quicker and responds and lot quicker and now around 44 mpg

waymaster

Reaction score
Visit site
my fz6 2007 does around 36/38mpg but fitted power commander and now it a lot quicker and responds and lot quicker and now around 44 mpg :ban: 4x4 box drivers

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe it's because you always ride downhill. There's a lot of downgrades in NH compared to where the OP is in Florida which is mostly flat.:rof:

:rof: Nice theory but it cannot be downhill on the way back!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I get about 42 - 48 depending on how aggressive I am on that tank. I am heavier than you or Reiobard.

What I'm not understanding is a tire wearing out with 7k and the rider is non-aggressive? This is odd. :don'tknow:

What octane do you fill with? Where do you buy fuel? Additives from different places make a difference. Try two tanks full from each of the branded companies around you and compare the MPG. I found Mobil to be the absolute worst and Shell to be the absolute best. It was significant for the FZ6 too. I ran these tests using a typical commuting week and remained constant with the throttle and routes. Mobil's best MPG was 40 and Shell's best was 48. This tells me that Mobil's additives are designed for the engine to burn fuel at a higher rate in order to sell you more (if you're brand loyal!).

Do you buy in the AM or PM? Gasoline expands a GREAT deal with temperature. Buying fuel late in the day means you get less dense gas as it is warmer and expanded. In the early AM is the best time to fill up. Just don't fill it "to the brim" because unless you're running out a fair amount, the heat of the day will expand it in your tank and push it out the overflow. Fill normally and you'll have the room for it to expand or fill to the brim when you know you're going 20+ miles afterward (commute?) and will burn half a gallon.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe its just me, but I noticed when i ride more aggressively or at higher RPMs (between 5 - 7k), i get better gas millage than when i keep my RPM's low (40mph at 4k rpm).

I noticed though too that I thought my tank would be upwards of 5 gallons and even after 20 miles on the F-Trip, a full tank is only around 4.1 gallons (more or less). I was under the impression that F-Trip is only triggered when it switches to the reserve. I know this is in the manual but i haven't checked yet. Maybe the odometer switches to F-trip at the end of your tank, before you switch to reserve. I'm unsure and curious myself so I'll try to check.

Shell 93 octane gas gets me 42 - 44mpg (i log all my miles, $$ spent, gallons, and date). Other gas stations give me around 38 - 40mpg. I try to regularly use shell gas.

I am still new to this bike though and am trying to learn its quirks, but that is what I have observed thus far.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I got 46-50 mpg when I first bought my FZ6. Since then I've been getting less (43-45). Likely has something to do with my more 'spirited' riding style lately :thumbup: and the taller windshield/topcase I've added.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
There was some evidence that 04-06 model year got better mileage than the 07-08. I have 07 with 5500 miles, ride sedately, and get 44mpg every single time. F-trip usually comes on at 170 miles or so.

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site
What octane do you fill with? Where do you buy fuel? Additives from different places make a difference. Try two tanks full from each of the branded companies around you and compare the MPG. I found Mobil to be the absolute worst and Shell to be the absolute best. It was significant for the FZ6 too. I ran these tests using a typical commuting week and remained constant with the throttle and routes. Mobil's best MPG was 40 and Shell's best was 48. This tells me that Mobil's additives are designed for the engine to burn fuel at a higher rate in order to sell you more (if you're brand loyal!).

LOL maybe that's the problem...I have an Exxon right near my house that is cheaper than others around so I fill up there. Ill go the extra mile down the road to get the Shell next time haha.

Jessie B

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow. thanks for all the replies.

Lets see: I buy gas at different times in the day, but my commute is always the same so I always buy gas the same times on the same days. I buy from different stations, all of which have at least 10% ethanol. 87 octane. Depending on what day it is, I am either going 45miles one way, or 20 miles one way. So even if I start with a full tank, it is down a bit when I get where I am going.

My worn out tire is the stock BT 020. It is past the wear bars but there is still tread grooves going across the worn middle. The sides of the tires still have the little casting whiskers (yes Florida is that flat) I do not always ride like a granny though, I ordered a BT 016 today to replace it.

Besides that the bike is completely stock, goofy rear fender and all. I have lowsided it a couple times, and dropped it a couple times, if that matters, never tore anything up though really.

I guess from all the responses, my mileage is normal for what I do. I do go pretty fast down the long empty stretches of highway, so aerodynamics play a part i'm sure.

Thanks again

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Does florida have inspection for bikes? I have a 08 and i usually get 45-47

Wow. thanks for all the replies.

Lets see: I buy gas at different times in the day, but my commute is always the same so I always buy gas the same times on the same days. I buy from different stations, all of which have at least 10% ethanol. 87 octane. Depending on what day it is, I am either going 45miles one way, or 20 miles one way. So even if I start with a full tank, it is down a bit when I get where I am going.

My worn out tire is the stock BT 020. It is past the wear bars but there is still tread grooves going across the worn middle. The sides of the tires still have the little casting whiskers (yes Florida is that flat) I do not always ride like a granny though, I ordered a BT 016 today to replace it.

Besides that the bike is completely stock, goofy rear fender and all. I have lowsided it a couple times, and dropped it a couple times, if that matters, never tore anything up though really.

I guess from all the responses, my mileage is normal for what I do. I do go pretty fast down the long empty stretches of highway, so aerodynamics play a part i'm sure.

Thanks again

Jessie B

Reaction score
Visit site
Florida has not had inspection for bikes or passenger cars since 82' IIRC. A deputy will sometimes come out to your house to verify a very old vehicle when you try to register it at the DMV though.

And I lost my owners manual for the bike the very first day i had it. I trailered the bike home, unloaded it, pulled the manuals out, quickly read them, and promptly misplaced them. Then i got a helmet and started riding it.

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I check my gas mileage regularly. I have right at 2600 miles on my bike. I went for a ride the other day and met some other riders. We rode pretty fast up and then back down a mountain. When I was done and back home I checked the trip meter I had driven 159 miles. I then drove to the gas station up the road and then had 160miles on my bike. I filled up putting 3.6 gals in my bike. That gives me 44 mpg. I had full gear on, I weigh 255 lbs and I am 6'-2''. I beleive also your your gas to the miles per gallon is low.