Careless Mistake. Fuel pump damaged. Need Help

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I did not secure the tank properly when I lifted it. I turned for just a few seconds and the tank fell to the ground. I am an idiot. With all going on at home with my wife being in the hospital and having surgery I was not focused enough. but, no excuses, I am still an idiot.

So the bad news:
1) Fuel pump outlet broken off.. Assuming need to buy the whole pump
2) White connector plug ripped wires out

Good news
1) My wife should make a full recovery (thank goodness) :cheer:

2) Tank not damaged. Just 2 micro dents in left front corner. the part that gets hidden under the inner fairing.

NEED HELP WITH
1) Prayers for my wife. Seriously. she has had a long hospital stay and will finish recovering at home. Every bit helps

2) Anyone selling a good used fuel pump?
The part # on this one is: 5VX 13902 01 101961-8591 Denso

3) The white connector plug - anyone have an extra with wires lead I could splice into the harness?

4) What is this part shown in photo #4? It fell out. need help identifying where this goes

Any advice however small would be appreciated. Anyone with parts, please PM me.

Thanks all!! FB

Photos shown
#1 Connectors - white one not shown but wires ripped out showing
#2 bottom of pump with white connector still attached
#3 Denso pump part#
#4 Some miscellaneous part that fell out. Anyone know what this is?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did not secure the tank properly when I lifted it. I turned for just a few seconds and the tank fell to the ground. I am an idiot. With all going on at home with my wife being in the hospital and having surgery I was not focused enough. but, no excuses, I am still an idiot.

So the bad news:
1) Fuel pump outlet broken off.. Assuming need to buy the whole pump
2) White connector plug ripped wires out

Good news
1) My wife should make a full recovery (thank goodness) :cheer:

2) Tank not damaged. Just 2 micro dents in left front corner. the part that gets hidden under the inner fairing.

NEED HELP WITH
1) Prayers for my wife. Seriously. she has had a long hospital stay and will finish recovering at home. Every bit helps

2) Anyone selling a good used fuel pump?
The part # on this one is: 5VX 13902 01 101961-8591 Denso

3) The white connector plug - anyone have an extra with wires lead I could splice into the harness?

4) What is this part shown in photo #4? It fell out. need help identifying where this goes

Any advice however small would be appreciated. Anyone with parts, please PM me.

Thanks all!! FB

Photos shown
#1 Connectors - white one not shown but wires ripped out showing
#2 bottom of pump with white connector still attached
#3 Denso pump part#
#4 Some miscellaneous part that fell out. Anyone know what this is?

Don't fret,
I did pretty much the same as you a while back. I managed to fix it with the help of the forum guys. I will do a quick search for you.
Hope your wife gets better soon. I found the thread, sadly the pictures seem to have gone????? http://www.600riders.com/forum/gara...fuel-gauge-error-nelly-mechanical-genius.html
I was able to relocate the wires back into the connector plug with a small engineers screw driver.
I can't place where the black clip goes in relation to the connectors?
Nelly

Last edited:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, well I lost the part in the fourth picture the first day I owned the bike. I'm fairly certain. It never gave me problems not having it.

Automobile plugs are usually the simpler ones, I've come to find out. (Try building a 56-pin, weather-proofed, solder-cup, dual locking set-up. I swear, if the whole ship wasn't made out of metal, I would have punched something) Anyway, you can tell the wires aren't soldered to the pins, they're just crimped in there. So you'd just have to find a new pin, undo the front lock (the $0.25 pin extractors from radio shack work great), and put it all back together. You just push the extractor in the front, and pull the wire/pin out the back. Easy day. Or solder the wire to the broken pin, as long as the actual pin/cup parts are okay and stick it back in there.

As for the fuel sender... well, as long as it makes a good seal, I don't know why it wouldn't work. There are epoxies that work well in gasoline even. JB Weld is resistant to gas, I believe. At least one of the mixtures, anyway.

Last edited:

tanman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hope your wife makes a full and speedy recovery. The last picture is a small clip that covers the fuel pipe going into the pump. Not needed. I'm glad your tanks ok and the rest can be fixed. Luckily when I needed a spare fuel pump I got one for £1.85 on eBay absolute steal. Good luck and don't beat yourself up it's not worth it :thumbup:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Down Range: Thanks for the advice on extracting the pin. I already have a member in Instanbul, Fazil (is this place great or what?? :D) who is sending me the connector. btw, how is that spencer seat working out? I really wish I had not parted with it. They are better than the TS seats for the long rides.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
It worked like a charm until they totaled the bike. :( Although the OEM Aftermarket seat on my monster is actually nicer still.

The spencer seat did get rid of the soreness I was having come friday on my commute.

sparkycrew

Reaction score
Visit site
dont risk a repair if your not 100% sure it wont leak,
ive just had a fuse box fire at home good job i was in,sh!t my pants, the cost to repair is irelevant it could have cost a life,dont worry mate we all make mistakes,just be safe

Dougie

Reaction score
Visit site
Best wishes to your wife m8,under these circumstances mistakes can be unavoidable,as mentioned there are epoxies etc that are 100% fuel proof,the key to it is ensuring the repair area is spotless and clean and that you allow adequate curing times before exposing it to the fuel,

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the risk of having a leak is just too great to consider repairing the fuel outlet. It broke in a spot close to the base and would be difficult to repair. Regardless of how sturdy and gasoline proof the epoxy is I would always worry of springing a leak and suffering the god awful consequences.

Prices for the FZ6 pump are astronomical. Looking into using an R6 pump as they are in much better supply on the used market.