Caution with Photobucket latest upgrade

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I upgraded Photobucket yesterday and was very pi55ed off to discover that the application had tried to upload 2000 images and videos from my PC.
I am very cautious about having pictures of my children on the interweb and only use Photobucket for hosting bits and bobs I do with the bike.
I have deleted most of the pictures from my account and I am in two minds whether to delete the account totally as Tapatalk allows me to upload pictures from my phone.
I'm sorry but many of the threads that I have posted pictures in will now have broken links.

Nelly:thumbup:

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I upgraded Photobucket yesterday and was very pi55ed off to discover that the application had tried to upload 2000 images and videos from my PC.
I am very cautious about having pictures of my children on the interweb and only use Photobucket for hosting bits and bobs I do with the bike.
I have deleted most of the pictures from my account and I am in two minds whether to delete the account totally as Tapatalk allows me to upload pictures from my phone.
I'm sorry but many of the threads that I have posted pictures in will now have broken links.

Its not what it was years ago when I first uploaded there and the monopoly of all these "GIANTS" getting together is driving me off the deep end with their Linking us to everything.. .. ..

Be wise people - it is your privacy being spread all about! Hats off to FACEPLANT (aka facebook) for leading the horse to water! :Flip:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the phone app? or just visiting the site?
It was the main site upgrade. It installs "Photobucket Desktop" which automatically backs up the pictures from your driver to their server. It runs in the background if you're logged into your account. I was alerted to it because I got a message saying my 2GB limit had been exceeded, "Please purchase more space".
You can unselect the folders that tries to back up but I couldn't work out how to delete the cached files which contained all the pictures and video of my children.
I've uninstalled the desktop update and deleted those files from my account.

Nelly

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Its not what it was years ago when I first uploaded there and the monopoly of all these "GIANTS" getting together is driving me off the deep end with their Linking us to everything.. .. ..

Be wise people - it is your privacy being spread all about! Hats off to FACEPLANT (aka facebook) for leading the horse to water! :Flip:

What bugs me is its very underhanded how they go about brushing privacy aside. Unless you are very savvy you don't always know what your agreeing to.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I use picasa which gives a good way if keeping tabs on images on my PC and(so far) only loads on line when I want it to, then I can invite anyone I choose to view an album
great for individual invites maybe not so good if u want to share with the forum per se
be very carefull how you agree and what you agree to these days
the wily bastards are using double negatives and opt in or out clauses willy nilly with no uniformity

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner and it works every time !

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Flickr just went to hell too. I'm trying to find a new site that's similar to Flickr, without the new "awesome" BS to go with it.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up Neil :thumbup:... I started using flickr just because the image quality is so much better but I still have my bucket account..
Can you link images from flicker & Picasa to the site?

Nelly

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Can you link images from flicker & Picasa to the site?

Nelly

Yes with Picasa you can but they have to be "public" (open to everyone).

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
I too use Photobucket and liked the earlier versions better, why is it the new and improved isn't and for some reason the designers make it harder to use:spank:

There is another method to upload photo's that is very easy, just use the paper clip above to attach photo's from your computer. I save and reduce the photo's in size to a folder on my desktop, that way they are easy to find and don't clog up the site to much. At least I don't think this causes any problems, please post if there are negatives to using this method, thanks.

Jerry

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I too use Photobucket and liked the earlier versions better, why is it the new and improved isn't and for some reason the designers make it harder to use:spank:

There is another method to upload photo's that is very easy, just use the paper clip above to attach photo's from your computer. I save and reduce the photo's in size to a folder on my desktop, that way they are easy to find and don't clog up the site to much. At least I don't think this causes any problems, please post if there are negatives to using this method, thanks.

Jerry
Thanks Jerry, I have the same issue with each new version of Windows Office. All of the functionality from the previous version is jazzed up with whistles and bells I simply do not require.
I used to use the FZ6 sites picture attachment service before, but it is very slow with my dial up network. I may well go back to it. The plus side of other picture hosting sites are the choice of picture resolution and automatic resizing of files.

Neil

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to use the FZ6 sites picture attachment service before, but it is very slow with my dial up network. I may well go back to it. The plus side of other picture hosting sites are the choice of picture resolution and automatic resizing of files.

Neil

Neil - I just spit out my coffee when I read dial-up - it's been a while since I've heard those wonderful sounds and I didn't realize people still used it.

On a side note - Imgur allows you to keep the fullsize image, they're all private unless you share the links, and has a very simple re-sizing tool built into the personal album view.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Neil - I just spit out my coffee when I read dial-up - it's been a while since I've heard those wonderful sounds and I didn't realize people still used it.

On a side note - Imgur allows you to keep the fullsize image, they're all private unless you share the links, and has a very simple re-sizing tool built into the personal album view.

Brrrrrrrrr bung bung grrrrrrrrr ding ding brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr gluuuung gluuuung ding:BLAA: