New Bike, first bike!

AWF33

Reaction score
Visit site
Howdy!

I'm here in Western KY, just purchased my first bike, '08 FZ6, it has some miles on it but it runs well and the previous owner was very fastidious about their maintenance, so I'm happy with it.

EXCEPT FOR ONE THING.

The exhaust.

It has a 2 Brothers M2 slipon and it is just too damn loud, I use this bike for commuting and I leave the house around 5:45, I can't live with myself being "that neighbor" who wakes up all the children in our quiet neighborhood before the sun comes up.

I've looked into the P1-X insert, which sucks because it will cost almost $70 to get them and from what I've read their effect isn't as extreme as I'd like.

The bike has the fender delete, so I'm not sure if I can put a stock system back on.

Any advice? Home hacks on how to quiet a two brothers exhaust?

Thanks!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrates on the "new" bike and welcome to the forum.

The insert for my Scorpions made the bike sound stock, (sewing machine quiet stock)…

I'd think the DB killers for yours would quiet the bike down considerably, enough to pass various noise standards... Others will chime in but I would think that'd solve your issue.

You can put the stock muffler back on but your adding a bunch of weight and literally a "heat sink" back there...

If the DB killers aren't an option, you could easily trade them for a stock muffler as the stock muffler is very expensive (and generally not kept on the bike).

And yes, you can put the stock muffler back on.. Used, their pretty cheap, shipping would cost more than the muffler..

In the local neighborhood, especially in the am, I keep the RPM's low, till the bike warms up (under 2500 RPMs) and isn't bad noisy(mines fully open)

Last edited:

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome.

The 2Bros without the inserts is obnoxious. I have the inserts and to me it sounds a lot better then the stock system without being "wake-up-the-neighborhood" loud. But then again, I don't live in a neighborhood. If you keep the revs below 2,000 you shouldn't piss off too many neighbors. You might be able to find inserts on ebay for cheap.

AWF33

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks!

I think my first steps are going to be to try to repack and get the dB killers on and see what happens.

This morning I just idled until I got to the end of the street then throttled out, the pipes definitely have a bit of a drone at idle though.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, TB is the only exhaust which cannot really be quieted down. Instead of barrel-like inserts most companies use, TB just uses tips, which help quiet it down some, but not nearly as much as DBkillers from Scorpion or Leo Vince.
For those who don't mind the loudness, TB sound is very good and people know this, so one of your options is to post in "for sale/trade" and see if someone has another aftermarket setup they'll trade you. You should be able to trade TB for full stock + cash, but as has been mentioned, you're adding weight, heat and one of the wimpiest sounds an inline 4 can make. lol

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to our great forum!

I remember someone making large washers with a hole in the center that reduced the decibels quite a lot with out causing any problem.

The P1x gives the best db reduction.

Last edited:

AWF33

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to our great forum!

I remember someone making large washers with a hole in the center that reduced the decibels quite a lot with out causing any problem.

The P1x gives the best db reduction.

That's what I was wondering about, I think I'll tear into them this weekend to see what I can fab up to stick in there.

Thanks!

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

Yep, the TB is apocalyptically loud! You might want to think about buying stock or scorpion cans then you'll break even or better when you sell the TB.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
hiya and welcome,
I have delkoviks on my bike and it came with dB killers but the cans are still rated as track only.
To get around the noise issue I havestuffed the insert with stainless steel exhaust wool and wrapped the dB inser t with fibre glass woven exhaust packing. It has lasted about 18 months and now is just starting to give that burble sound when I back off and coast for a bit. My concer , as yours, is for my neighbours and that I dont want to sound obnoxious. I know this doesn't he;lp your particular issue but we all have the same concerns.
I too remember the discussion a few years back of someone using a washer in the exhaust flow to slow down the escaping exhaust and I remember talking to an MT-10 owner years ago that had used the same technique.

the only thing I can offer is you could search for dB killers on the web and check how they fit and then how you might need to augment the packing, thats the road I followed until going down the extra packing method.

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The exhaust.

It has a 2 Brothers M2 slipon and it is just too damn loud, I use this bike for commuting and I leave the house around 5:45, I can't live with myself being "that neighbor" who wakes up all the children in our quiet neighborhood before the sun comes up.

I've looked into the P1-X insert, which sucks because it will cost almost $70 to get them and from what I've read their effect isn't as extreme as I'd like.

Thanks!

Welcome to Forum! :welcome:

I also have the TB exhaust. The stock system was just too darn quiet and a multi-camed, multi-valved engine certainly needs to sing a little on occasion.
I had installed the system over a weekend a few years ago when I was doing various other things and ran the engine only a little to check for any leaks. On Monday morning
I hopped on and headed for work. I hadn't even ridden for a mile when I realized the exhaust was extremely loud and while most LEOs do not normally stop anyone
for loud exhaust I rolled off the throttle when one passed me by. As soon as I arrived at work I ordered a pair of the P1-X tips and did not ride again after returning home until
I installed them. The result is a much more tuned sound and as others have mentioned, if you stay below 2500 rpms the sound is not disturbing at all. When you are able to run it up though,
you will appreciate the free flow sound and weight reduction is a bonus as well. Best of luck!