CBR Electrical Trouble - Rough Idle, Dead Battery, Loose Terminals

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Heya guys. Been having an issue now for a little while in which my idle is periodically rough for seemingly no reason, the bike is having a harder and harder time starting, and finally - it's died on me twice in the last two days, after slow bouts in traffic. Once it's running and I'm moving, there's no issues, but whenever I'm in gridlock/roasting in the heat, it gets way lopey and twice now has died - once when I came back after it started running rough, and just today while I was still on it. Had a guy give me a bump start and I was able to rocket my way through traffic along the shoulder and break at least 50 laws in order to get home without really, truly slowing down.

It seems to run and hold a charge just fine as long as I'm on it, which I think has something to do with the bike being ridden around 5000RPMs or higher (which is when they charge, AFAIK). Traffic and gridlock, meaning prolonged idling and low RPMs seems to kill it - and finding my battery terminals loose twice now is concerning (feels like it'd arc itself to death or whatnot), so I'm going to be grabbing some loctite and proper star washers to help hold the bolts in place with the new battery I just picked up. Would this by chance be related to the regulator/rectifier? I ask because it runs fine when I'm on it and after having tightened the battery connections, but dies when I'm doing little to nothing. Then again, perhaps there isn't enough power being generated by the R/R which is a common thing to 'go' on this bike, and my spark plugs were looking sort of fouled as if they ran rich - and I'd imagine that would increase the amount of power required to make a spark, and run the battery down even faster. I've got a new battery, and will be getting new spark plugs in a few days. Do you think it'd be worth grabbing an R/R to eliminate any/all potential problems?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd just clean real good and loctite the battery bolts and nuts.

A faulty / bad connection or bad battery WILL cause all kinds of issues...

Crank it up and put a volt meter on the terminals while running.

Voltages should be about the same as the FZ, at least 13 volts at idle, 14 or so at roughly 5K RPM's.

I wouldn't replace the VR that you don't even know is an issue. You DO KNOW the cables WERE LOOSE...

Make sure the battery's fully charged too if you ran it down... If slow cranking, fully change and get it load tested first.
(probably not needed)..

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd just clean real good and loctite the battery bolts and nuts.

A faulty / bad connection or bad battery WILL cause all kinds of issues...

Crank it up and put a volt meter on the terminals while running.

Voltages should be about the same as the FZ, at least 13 volts at idle, 14 or so at roughly 5K RPM's.

I wouldn't replace the VR that you don't even know is an issue. You DO KNOW the cables WERE LOOSE...

Make sure the battery's fully charged too if you ran it down... If slow cranking, fully change and get it load tested first.
(probably not needed)..

Going to put the new battery in, which is pre-charged from the store (as the guy told me) and really tighten her down - more properly than I've ever done. Going to borrow a voltmeter from my neighbour and check the readings hopefully tomorrow, and get a set of fresh plugs in to spice things up. You're right though, in that I only seem to have trouble when the terminals get loose, and my current battery may have been run down a bit because of that.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Going to put the new battery in, which is pre-charged from the store (as the guy told me) and really tighten her down - more properly than I've ever done. Going to borrow a voltmeter from my neighbour and check the readings hopefully tomorrow, and get a set of fresh plugs in to spice things up. You're right though, in that I only seem to have trouble when the terminals get loose, and my current battery may have been run down a bit because of that.

Golly, I don't know how you fine these guys.. Jeez... :(

New batteries come 80% charged.

You have to Trickle charge them to 100% for maximum performance and the longest life out of your battery.

Figure 6-8 hours on a tender...

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Golly, I don't know how you fine these guys.. Jeez... :(

New batteries come 80% charged.

You have to Trickle charge them to 100% for maximum performance and the longest life out of your battery.

Figure 6-8 hours on a tender...

Affirmative. I'll put it on a tender overnight before dropping it in. Thanks for passing the info along, much obliged!

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Marco! Its up and running again?

Managed to cobble everything together over 7 hours worth of playing. Up until 2am the other night, skipping meals yesterday just to get it road worthy. I went for broke and changed the oil/filter too considering I had all the plastics and everything else off, so that certainly didn't help.