TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so it is definitely the drive chain. I think I found the source, there is a groove cut into the plastic piece that sits on top of the swing arm. Also am I missing a bolt?

View attachment 55675

View attachment 55676

Edit: and yes I lubed the chain immediately after posting

There's one bolt that holds the guard on, the rest of the guard clips in and snaps over the front of the swing arm, please see the link and below pic.

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2008 FZ6 - FZS6XL REAR ARM Diagram

The lines in the guard are normal. As Randy noted, that chain needs to be clean and well lubed. You can easily tell if the links are binding if you remove the front sprocket cover(three bolts). As the chain comes off the sprocket, there should NOT be ANY KINKs. If there are, clean the clean, re-lube and works the kinks by hand. If they don't work out, its time for a new chain.

Checking the front sprocket while there is a good idea. Any hooking of the teeth is bad. If it has the stock ft sprocket, it has a plastic (maybe?) type ring as part of the sprocket (for either sound deadening or ?). If that's worn thru a bunch, agin, the sprocket is toast.

The chain, especially with unexperianced wrenchers/riders, is probably the most neglected part on the bike. Like Randy, I lube my chain often (probably every 200 miles). While under way, looking at the lower run, after a fresh lube, it'll flow like water, very smooth, no vibrating back and forth, etc..

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As Randy noted, LUBE is the ANSWER!!! Blah

For reference - I'll clean it with a grunge brush and old cotton towels, ride it for 10min, lube it; then run it 350 - 450miles, lube it, run another 350 - 450 miles lube one last time. Clean it. Repeat cycle.

Did I mention at the cleaning stage I spin every roller? :eek: