Cell phone GPS

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
Guys not sure if this is posted anywhere else (couldn't find it) but for those who weren't aware this could be very helpful.
My current Garmin 550 is on it's last legs (touch screen issue) and I started looking for a replacement. Came across a rideapart article where the author was using a Nexus 7 tablet as a bike gps. Since we have a pretty decent cell phone plan our family has started accumulating smartphones in the house as we get regular upgrades. Starting thinking that my wife's rather large Samsung Note could work as a gps for cost of 0$. Article states that a data plan isn't required....nor is an active cell phone number for the new smart phones to be used as a gps as long as the phone has OFFLINE maps downloaded. Went to Navfree (many other good ones) and downloaded the free app. Turned on the Samsung's gps and bluetooth and voila.....I now have a large screen gps which fits on my ram mount....free! Doesn't cost me a cent. The gps graphics are extremely clear. An option to consider before you go out and spend $500 or more on some of the newer motorcycle gps units.

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, but is it waterproof?

Sent sa Nokia Lumia 625 using Taptalk

It is if I put it in a waterproof cover....plus it has bluetooth....I can store it anywhere i want on the bike (my bike has top box and waterproof compartments) and it will notify me of upcoming turns.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Guys not sure if this is posted anywhere else (couldn't find it) but for those who weren't aware this could be very helpful.
My current Garmin 550 is on it's last legs (touch screen issue) and I started looking for a replacement. Came across a rideapart article where the author was using a Nexus 7 tablet as a bike gps. Since we have a pretty decent cell phone plan our family has started accumulating smartphones in the house as we get regular upgrades. Starting thinking that my wife's rather large Samsung Note could work as a gps for cost of 0$. Article states that a data plan isn't required....nor is an active cell phone number for the new smart phones to be used as a gps as long as the phone has OFFLINE maps downloaded. Went to Navfree (many other good ones) and downloaded the free app. Turned on the Samsung's gps and bluetooth and voila.....I now have a large screen gps which fits on my ram mount....free! Doesn't cost me a cent. The gps graphics are extremely clear. An option to consider before you go out and spend $500 or more on some of the newer motorcycle gps units.

I'd read that article awhile back and almost did the same thing (would've had to buy the phablet, but still wouldn't have to activate it). It's a great idea. :thumbup:

dainese

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
I like the idea very much, have you tested for tuneless??? Does it work with screen off?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Smartphones or tablets would have to have a GPS receiver to be accurate when there is no carrier service to reference from. So even if you don't have a data plan enabled the software can still use tower signals for calculation but when there are no tower signals...? From what I've read the software estimates where you are when it can't use a tower signals for calculations but does not accurately know where you are. That's one of the reasons I started using Spot. I can still be tracked on the Spot and send a canned text message, Help or SOS if I'm in a bad jam without a cell signal.

A Spot geo-locator or GPS receiver can be accurate to 10 or 15 feet as long as it can get signals from the satellites.

My Garmin battery went bad and I ordered a new one and replaced it. Good for another 7 years! :rolleyes:

My next GPS will have a Bluetooth to my Sena although I rarely use GPS on the bike. :)

As long as your unit can see towers it should be great for getting around! :)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Smartphones or tablets would have to have a GPS receiver to be accurate when there is no carrier service to reference from. So even if you don't have a data plan enabled the software can still use tower signals for calculation but when there are no tower signals...? From what I've read the software estimates where you are when it can't use a tower signals for calculations but does not accurately know where you are. That's one of the reasons I started using Spot. I can still be tracked on the Spot and send a canned text message, Help or SOS if I'm in a bad jam without a cell signal.

A Spot geo-locator or GPS receiver can be accurate to 10 or 15 feet as long as it can get signals from the satellites.

My Garmin battery went bad and I ordered a new one and replaced it. Good for another 7 years! :rolleyes:

My next GPS will have a Bluetooth to my Sena although I rarely use GPS on the bike. :)

As long as your unit can see towers it should be great for getting around! :)

Most (if not all) smartphones have a GPS receiver built in.
You can try this by turning off mobile data and turning on GPS. I don't know where this option would be in iPhone, but on Android they're right next to each other, typically.

I've used my phone on the track as lap timer, using built-in GPS only.

My biggest issue with phone navigation is offline maps. I tried doing this through Google maps and it doesn't work well at all, but apparently there are other offerings out there now? (like Navfree)

dainese

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
Not sure what you mean by tuneless. Yes it works with screen off.

Sorry for my bad English, how does it work in town center's, tall buildings jam the signal, tuneless also, can you compare with Garmin? I have Lumina 625 and navigation doesn't work when screen off, Garmin probably have better GPS receiver, I'm thinking it would work better in areas with lower GSM signal?????

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
I live in a rural area so we don't have very tall buildings. I haven't had any issues with the signal. Download Navfree and try it.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Droid Razr HD - the gps signal falls off in buildings of most any kind, tunnels, and some bridges.

As stated, with data and wifi off, it does keep track of gps sat's (even in Airplane mode).
I'm guessing its usefulness among high rise buildings would deteriorate. That said I'm sure they'd be more effective w/a data pkg enabled and use the cell carriers towers.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for my bad English, how does it work in town center's, tall buildings jam the signal, tuneless also, can you compare with Garmin? I have Lumina 625 and navigation doesn't work when screen off, Garmin probably have better GPS receiver, I'm thinking it would work better in areas with lower GSM signal?????

I've used 3 different Garmin units in the city (tall buildings). Signal goes bad, making the GPS worse than having no GPS at all.. it keeps changing its mind every 2 seconds.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was responding with some information on differences between dedicated GPS receivers and smartphone/tablet GPS navigation. Then my browser crashed. They both work in optimal locations and in some cases smartphone have shown even more accurate because they use other services and data from tower, GPS and wireless routers.

I hike desert locations and I stopped to test 3 devices. My Spot geolocator, GPS and smartphone. My smartphone said you're here...no you're here...wait a minute......you're here....

The dedicated devices knew where I was and agreed with good accuracy.

The GPS receiver or Spot geolocator use it's primary power for determining accurate location. The Spot has a transmitter and can send a signal to a satellite which includes your location. Needless to say this is important when you're in a jam.

From what I've read a smartphone or tablet uses it's GPS chip with the primary consideration to saving power and uses the power of other services (towers/wireless) to establish it's accuracy. I'm pretty sure there would be an easy way to dedicate the phone GPS for better standalone accuracy but I think when there are no hint's from other services it can take away from accurate reporting.

Maybe if I gave my phone more time it would give better accuracy to a specific location, void of other service for it's calculations. I will give it a longer test the next time out.

I will check out the Navfree. :)

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

:rockon:Your English is fine but I have to ask......Who is on the left and who is on the right in your picture and where can I get a green hat like that!? Blah

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe if I gave my phone more time it would give better accuracy to a specific location, void of other service for it's calculations. I will give it a longer test the next time out.

You mean "slow down??" Haha! Ya, right! :rof::rof:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You mean "slow down??" Haha! Ya, right! :rof::rof:

Well I was on foot when I did the tests, but yeah there have been times the services thought I could only be airborne and why does the altitude indicate the device is on the ground? :eek: Lol! My old Palm Centro would reboot! :spank:

dainese

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
Main problem is that when you are traveling all day, there is no problem to ride few kilometers if you miss some turns, but in the end,when you finally reached your destination, it's pain in the ass to get to the room you booed, that said you understand why I am closer too real GPS navigation than smartphone with navigation

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
This thread prompted me to look for a GPS solution -- should I ever need on -- for a wifi only iPad Mini Retina. I ran across two products that would solve the "no cell service" problem with the cellular A-GPS.

The Bad Elf Pro works with Bluetooth devices -- up to five -- and provides GPS data to a ton of apps that have downloadable offline maps. Aviators use them a lot apparently. $144 from Amazon.

The Bad Elf GPS for Lightning connectors augments an iOS devices, including a USB charging pass through that would go well with a motorcycle mount. Also $144 on Amazon.

I'd be inclined to get the Pro GPS logger and use it for nav with an offline maps app on my iPhone and also for geolocating photos from a non-GPS-enabled camera.