Cell phone/gps mount?!

Cortez

Reaction score
Visit site
I hope I hit the right subforum here.

I'd like to mount my Samsung Galaxy II on the handlebars to be able to use
it as a GPS, however, I'd like to find a mount that will enable me enough
articulation so I can use the same phone as a camera to record video.

Anyone aware of such a thing?

The camera bit is actually more important then the GPS bit at the moment.
I figured it might be an issue since this phone is on the big side of things
with a 5.55" screen.

Maybe some universal 5,5" GPS mounts would work?

CHEAP, please!
It's only a toy that will be used a few times this year!

Thanks!

Cortez

Reaction score
Visit site
Um, yeah, $75 for a complete RAM set.
That's way over the top and probably as expensive as it gets.

seacliff

Reaction score
Visit site
well.. if you really want to go cheap.. any hardware store should have what's required to build yourself one ! :)

something similar to this : [ame="http://www.amazon.com/BoxWave-TinyMount-Windshield-Adjustable-Smartphones/dp/B001G0HW18/ref=sr_1_22?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1390928554&sr=1-22&keywords=Samsung+Galaxy+S2+ram"]http://www.amazon.com/BoxWave-TinyMount-Windshield-Adjustable-Smartphones/dp/B001G0HW18/ref=sr_1_22?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1390928554&sr=1-22&keywords=Samsung+Galaxy+S2+ram[/ame] adapted with some handlebar brackets would make it cheap :)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know of an inexpensive mount for your phone which will allow for camera angle, but let me just mention this:

1. Video quality will not be very good, as the handlebar vibration will translate to blurryness.

2. High likelihood of damaging the phone due to constant vibration.

Look into SANGAR navigation solution (search the forum), if your bike has fairings and you insist on using phone for visual GPS. I occasionally use my phone for GPS, but only as voice guidance, so it's not mounted to the bike.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know of an inexpensive mount for your phone which will allow for camera angle, but let me just mention this:

1. Video quality will not be very good, as the handlebar vibration will translate to blurryness.

Look into SANGAR navigation solution (search the forum), if your bike has fairings and you insist on using phone for visual GPS. I occasionally use my phone for GPS, but only as voice guidance, so it's not mounted to the bike.

I'm not sure if this is an option Eric, as Cortez has a FZ6N, as I think this means you need the Fazer fairing.
here's the link anyway: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/18278-my-new-ingenious-sat-nav-mount.html

Last edited:

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use this :

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FA892IS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Amazon.com: GreatShield Clip-Grip Handlebar Bike Mount Holder for iPhones, samsung galaxy, htc smartphones, GPS Devices and More: Cell Phones & Accessories[/ame]

to mount my Galaxy SII T989 on my bike - mostly for video recording. I have tested it twice and the holder itself is pretty sturdy, easy to clamp the phone, and very easy to mount it to the mirror. But the video captured is shaky at low rpms, maybe it is more due to mounting it to the mirror.

odachi13

Reaction score
Visit site
With a bit of modification a generic sat nav mount could work. Such as one of these

They have foam insert you can cut to shape to reduce vibes, and with a bit of thick clear plastic you could cut a whole in the back where the camera lens is and glue that in to protect it as it should face forward(ish)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

LINDYMAC

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to go back to the Ram Solutions - Don't know where your getting 75 Bucks from - I use Ram Mounts for my go pro, so I only had to buy this adaptor.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/RAM-Universal-X-Grip-Holder-1-Inch/dp/B0055PH0XA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390935378&sr=8-1&keywords=ram+cell+phone+mount]Amazon.com: RAM Mount Universal X-Grip Cell Phone Holder with 1-Inch Ball: Cell Phones & Accessories[/ame]

It's really awesome - and will work for just about anything out there - very sturdy - great design.

You can also get this for 40 if you want.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/RAM-Handlebar-Coated-U-Bolt-Universal/dp/B006X387ZS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1390935421&sr=8-5&keywords=ram+cell+phone+mount"]Amazon.com: RAM Handlebar Rail Mount with Zinc Coated U-Bolt Base and Universal X-Grip(TM) Cell Phone Holder: GPS & Navigation[/ame]

Again great build on these parts - it also means you can get a jumpstart on parts for go pro builds if you want.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to go back to the Ram Solutions - Don't know where your getting 75 Bucks from - I use Ram Mounts for my go pro, so I only had to buy this adaptor.

Amazon.com: RAM Mount Universal X-Grip Cell Phone Holder with 1-Inch Ball: Cell Phones & Accessories

It's really awesome - and will work for just about anything out there - very sturdy - great design.

You can also get this for 40 if you want.

Amazon.com: RAM Handlebar Rail Mount with Zinc Coated U-Bolt Base and Universal X-Grip(TM) Cell Phone Holder: GPS & Navigation

Again great build on these parts - it also means you can get a jumpstart on parts for go pro builds if you want.

I believe I have the same mount. But I have issues with it. Since the grips are spring loaded, it happens to tighten up right against the side of your phone where the on/off switch or volume control is. I have a Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro. I have to place it near the very bottom of the grip so that it doesn't turn off the phone, dangerously close to falling out but it hasn't, even after I had my spill earlier this month.

I also cannot get the phone to activate using my hands since I'm always riding with gloves. Once it's mounted, the phone will go dark until I take it off the mount.

Cortez

Reaction score
Visit site
well.. if you really want to go cheap.. any hardware store should have what's required to build yourself one ! :)

something similar to this : Amazon.com: BoxWave TinyMount - Universal Windshield Dashboard Car Mount, Fully Adjustable, 360 Degree Rotatable Windshield Car Mount Holder for Smartphones - Apple iPhone 5s 5 4S 4, Samsung Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 3, Note 2, HTC One, Blackberry Z10, adapted with some handlebar brackets would make it cheap :)

That wouldn't hold the phone properly, it needs to be in a case.
I can't build anything myself, I live in a flat and have no tools or skills.

Cortez

Reaction score
Visit site

I have been using my phones as GPSes for years, but it's been easier to mount
on a big scooter on the inside of a screen with a suction cup.

Cortez

Reaction score
Visit site
I use this :

Amazon.com: GreatShield Clip-Grip Handlebar Bike Mount Holder for iPhones, samsung galaxy, htc smartphones, GPS Devices and More: Cell Phones & Accessories

to mount my Galaxy SII T989 on my bike - mostly for video recording. I have tested it twice and the holder itself is pretty sturdy, easy to clamp the phone, and very easy to mount it to the mirror. But the video captured is shaky at low rpms, maybe it is more due to mounting it to the mirror.

Now we're talking, $10 and not $70, and looks ok.

I just wish it was more of a case since this can't work in rain.

I have to check if it's available on Amazon EU since the .com won't ship here.

EDIT: Um, yeah, nothing for the 5.5" devices, it's like everyone is using
the iphone on the planet.

Cortez

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to go back to the Ram Solutions - Don't know where your getting 75 Bucks from

Go to their site, select samsung note2, motorcycle mount by
manufacturer, etc, it just asks you everything and then brings up the total.