Central Illinois newb looking to learn

Spanky's Monkey

Reaction score
Visit site
My name is Q and I'm trying to get this 2009 FZ6R from the auto dealer I work for. I don't know the mileage right now but I can find out tomorrow. Anything I should be aware of from looking at the pics. Looks like the bike was dropped in a driveway on both sides. Forks are clean, the controls are clean with light scuffing on the tips of the handle bars and the pegs are clean. I've never ridden before and I'm taking the MSF next month and no I will not be riding until I learn how to do so.

20160609_164424.jpg

20160609_164530.jpg

20160609_164540.jpg

20160609_164553.jpg

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't be in a rush to purchase a bike, it should be the very last thing in terms of priority for a new rider. Save your money! Chances are, you will be wasting it. Start off by successfully completing your MSF Basic and earn your M endorsement. Purchase additional safety gear and then you should start looking in purchasing a new bike. It's best to bring an experienced motorcyclist when purchasing a used bike. There are certain things to look for as well as asking the right questions. Your rider coach may even assist you when it is time to purchase a used bike. Used is best, not new.

Spanky's Monkey

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice Vegas. If I told you the price I was offered on it you may not be quick to pass up the deal. I'm a newbie not a squid. I've got my gear lined up and wouldn't even consider riding without it. I've been doing some serious research on all the gear I would need and I plan on having most of it come the class.

Spanky's Monkey

Reaction score
Visit site
To my understanding someone that rides without the proper gear. I don't know if it's an honestly valid term as I've only heard it referenced on vlogs with regard to riders that are in the know or at least come off that way.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
To my understanding someone that rides without the proper gear. I don't know if it's an honestly valid term as I've only heard it referenced on vlogs with regard to riders that are in the know or at least come off that way.

"Squid"- Yep, shorts, baseball cap, etc, a goober...

To your original question, if its been dropped on its side, you want to check and make sure the fairing "stay"(which holds the
plastic nose piece on) did NOT get bent.

If the bike has a center stand, set the bike on the stand and sit on it. Simply look straight ahead and see if anything looks
crooked/ bent. If no CC, do the same on level ground. If bent, and if it bugs you, the stay can be replaced within a couple
of hours..

The scruffs elsewhere, really a non issue. Paint or replace....

Make sure all the lights / directionals are working as those have been changed out
and you don't have a electrical hack job under the plastic.

2009 FZ6R - FZ6RYB Yamaha Motorcycle Parts

Last edited:

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Along with Scott's advice, here are my 2¢:
Motorcycle test ride points:
1. throttle in first gear
2. suspension
3. braking
4. weight
5. helmet lock
6. capacity under the seat

buying a bike:
oil level should be within range of it is side glass. and should not be over filled.
exhaust must be cold, not hot(make sure he didn't start the bike for you and keep it warm, before you visit him)
vin numbers should match with engine/frame.
look for accident scratches everywhere.
look for chain tight spots and whether S/he maintained well or not.
brake pads and rotor for Wear level.
throttle should be loose/s mooth and should return smoothly
tires should not be worn out, else negotiate 250$ more

test ride:
transmission must be smooth while shifting gears
no shaking in handle bars when riding off hands(for experienced riders), check at 40mph, for balancing.

These were my notes from last year, before buying the bike.
Hope they help.

BTW, if you post the same on fz6r forum, they might say to look for something particular, based on the model's year.
For instance, people from Acura TL forum mentioned to look for oil level, as 2010-12 models tend to consume oil and see a decline in oil level for every 1000miles.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How many miles on the bike? How old are the tires, are they still the stock tires? If yes they need to be replaced, 7 plus year tires are just flat out dangerous.

Great attitude on your safety gear. The MSF requirements for you to take the class is very minimal as they don't want students to invest too much money on something that may not be interested in after taking the class. There are some students that will find out real quick that Motorcycling is not for them.

Spanky's Monkey

Reaction score
Visit site
6,000 miles on the odometer and I'm proud to say that I own the bike now for $3000 out the door. Had a coworker ride it home for me. Not a bad score for me they go for $5000 before the man takes his cut around here.

20160610_180048.jpg

20160610_182620.jpg

20160610_182644.jpg

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats. I think the FZ6R is the perfect bike for a new rider. The tires look like they are the originals. Check and see if you can find a four digit date stamp. I know you're itching to get on the bike and ride it. Bad idea though. Stay disciplined.

Spanky's Monkey

Reaction score
Visit site
I can wait to ride it, got her tucked in a corner in the garage while I get my act together. I've had my fill of having my cake and eating it too if you catch my drift. I've got my starter jacket but no helmet, gloves or boots and on top of that I have no skills. The only reason I have the bike first is the stupid deal I got on it. Like it was meant for me but that doesn't mean it was meant for me to be a fool with it.

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good for you. I didn't get a bike until _after_ I took the MSF. It cemented the fact that I liked it and wanted to take it further. Totally get it with the deal you got, congrats. You got a newer bike with less miles for not much more money (than what I paid). Craiglist has been awesome for me in collecting gear, plus it's fun to look. You have time, check often in your area, lots of good stuff pops up. Good luck.

Spanky's Monkey

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the love guys. I did try looking for a date and there isn't one to be found on either tire. She sat for a long time from the looks and needs oil on the chain.

Edit: I don't like the flush front signals how do I get a pair of the oem stalks without breaking the bank?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When you take your class, IF you can ride their bike (even if it costs more), do so. Their bikes are
generally naked and a tip over won't hurt anything... A tip over on yours- not so much..

Re the front lights, here's the parts fisch for your bike:
Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2009 FZ6R - FZ6RYB FLASHER LIGHT Diagram

Being an "R" bike (un-like most here) it does look very similar the NON "R" bikes.

I'm sure there's a site for the "R" bikes and finding a used take off should be had for pretty cheap...

Last edited: