Chain "cracking" under load/take-off

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just an update..

I replaced my front sprocket this afternoon.. I know its the original from the factory (I bought it from my friend, the original owner) and there was indeed RED locktite on the threads..

What I ended up doing to remove the nut and re-torque it after the new sprocket was installed was the following:

Initially I put a 1.5" x1.5" stick wrapped in a towel thru the rear wheel lodged up against both sides of the swingarm to hold it in place. The transmission was in neutral.. The wood broke rather quickly with some force so I upgraded to a 5/8" steel bar, again wrapped in the same rag to prevent scratching to the wheel/swingarm.. The chain/sprockets took the full torque and the nut came off with a 1/2 drive ratchet (no breaker bar).

With the new sprocket replaced, the threads cleaned and the steel bar now on the other side of the swing arm, I tightened up the chain a bit (just to keep it from skipping on the sprockets). A bit of red locktite on the clean threads with a new nut and 65 ft lbs set on the torque wrench, locked it down, peened over the edge of the nut (on the output shaft) no muss, no fuss... Re-adjusted the chain, done...

All on the center stand, no extra hands required..

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The 07 doesn't use a lock washer outside the sprocket but a thick
(maybe 1/8"?), flat washer and a nut with a tapered end that get flattened out on two sides of the output shaft that locks it down...

Between the red locktite and the flattened nut, it took a steady amount of force to get it fully off the shaft. The new one (with locktite and of course not flattened yet) went on easily by hand. The locktite and flattened ends of the nut seems to work very, very well...