Chain Guard Synthetic by Maxima **/***** stars

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Not to rub salt in the wound, but I did a chain clean and wax yesterday and was VERY liberal with my application of the Maxima chain wax, and still no fling this morning on my 35 mile commute to work.

As per usual I cleaned the chain with solution and a grunge brush, then wiped the chain down with a rag to remove excess cleaner and remaining dirt and grime, and then sprayed a butt load of wax onto the inside of the chain. Got to work, and saw no fling or mess anywhere, even on close inspection.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not to rub salt in the wound, but I did a chain clean and wax yesterday and was VERY liberal with my application of the Maxima chain wax, and still no fling this morning on my 35 mile commute to work.

Chain Wax, or Chain Guard?

The Maxima Chain Wax is excellent, the Chain Guard is sh!t.

If you like it, then congratulations - for me the experience was rather less than I would have hoped for. (which is why I buy another product)

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Chain Wax, or Chain Guard?

The Maxima Chain Wax is excellent, the Chain Guard is sh!t.

There, my wounds are freshly salted.... (sorry, but did you think your good experience would 'hurt' or annoy me?)

If you like it, then congratulations - for me the experience was rather less than I would have hoped for. (which is why I buy another product)

Cheers,
Rick

Ahh..thought we were talking about the same product all along. Yea, I use the chain wax and love it! What exactly is the chain guard and why use it over/in addition to the wax?

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ahh..thought we were talking about the same product all along. Yea, I use the chain wax and love it! What exactly is the chain guard and why use it over/in addition to the wax?

Have a look at the pics I posted.

It's Maxima Chain Guard.

It's apparently fortified with polytetrafluroethylene (sorry, I just like saying it!)

But, even though it says it resists fling-off, it fkn doesn't.

The Maxima Chain Wax, is superb. The ONLY reason I tried the Chain Guard, is that it was recommended to me by one of my local bike shops. (and as I already used Maxima Chain Wax, I thought it'd be 'as good')

Never again!

Cheers,
Rick

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's maxima Racing Oils Synthetic Chain Gaurd Crytal Clear Chain Lube. . .

The part on the can where it says, "Chain Guard sets to prevent Fling-OFF and avoid attraction of dust and dirt" - yah, that part. DON'T BELIEVE IT!!!!

Granted it may very well give the chain some life as it goes on nice where you put it, but holly crap me, the bike, my boots, the wheel and even the damn brake caliper, exhaust, both stands, you name it it FLEW OFF AND STUCK TO EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

I don't ride in the rain and I pride myself in a clean bike, I have some work to do as the back end is covered. Both sides of the wheel and the damn tire too! I can't say much for how long it could or will last as I'm guessing I'll never apply it again. $10 bucks to lube my patio sliding door perhaps???

I just don't see how it could help the chain if its all over the bike so I give it 2 out of 5 stars! But in defense of the Manf, none of the bullets on the cans label include words like, "cling, stays, won't fling, no mess, no clean up.... etc.

A great 150 miles ride today - but a huge mess to clean up!

So if you don't mind big mess, I will say this product gets in there and keeps the chain running smooth. This stuff must have gotten in there as the bike is vibration free at the end of 550+ miles. It still has some of the lube on the outer rollers but some of the side links have a very slight rust haze from being under the bike cover in the rain.
I'm not sure if I cna bring myself to spray the whole bike again. But if don't care, this product might be a shoe in! :eek:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I figured I'd give this product one more shot as I also used a new cleaner which I thought could have impaired its performance so I used my old cleaner

CONCLUSION: Product FAIL in the area of CLING!
Its all over the bikes wheel, tire, muffler, my left boot and countless other places.

I'm done. Next product will be ??????

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe I got clingless batch???? :rolleyes:

Then, incredibly, so did I.

I call BS on the 'no-fling' claim by the manufacturer....

Cheers,
Rick

EDIT: I should qualify that by saying they may have adjusted the constituents, because the stuff I used didn't cling worth a damn.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Some real world testing. . . Not just me blahbing away. . .

Motorcycle Chain Lubes Reviewed 2010 - webBikeWorld

A small excerpt from some of the runners. . .

Motorcycle Chain Lubes - Subjective Evaluations (2010)
wBW Review Type Efficiency Sprayer Fling-Off "Sticky" Factor
Go Chain Wax Liquid Low N/A Medium Medium
Kal-Gard Clear Chain Kote Spray Medium Good Low High
Kal-Gard Moly Chain Kote Spray High Good Low High
Kleen Chain Synthetic Chain Lube Gel Low N/A Medium High
Original Bike Spirits Chain Lube* Spray Excellent Excellent Very Low Very Low
Royal Purple Max-Chain Spray Medium Good Low Low
DuPont Teflon Chain Lube (Benchmark)** Spray Excellent Excellent None Very Low
* Winner of the 2010 wBW Spray-Off **Included for comparison purposes only.
See Also: Chain Lube Comparison 2008

VUU

VW gearhead
Reaction score
Visit site
x2 but in reverse I used the grey can first (my first maintenance purchase back in 06) and was hoorified at how much wound up all over my brand new bike. Used alot of others until the local cycle gear was out of everything but the gold can maxima, bought it expecting the worst and have been using it since. Only time I've had fling off with the gold can was when I was teaching my gf to lube the chain (she's looking at her own bike and I told her maintenance on her bike is her buisiness so she asked me to help her learn before she gets it) needless to say she way over did it and I had fling off all over the rear of the bike. That said it still wasn't as bad as the grey can was when used appropriately.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I found a place where Fling is least likely to occur - as such a good use for this $11 can of fling. . . .

CLICK!!!!
View attachment 43431

Yes, the rollers on my patio door! :eek: :D :thumbup: