Chain Replacement - Recommendations

linus

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking to replace my chain and researched o-ring vs x-ring chains. The x-ring chains seem to offer up more efficiency for a bigger price.

What chains do you recommend? I was looking at the DID brand

These are the options I found:
https://www.amazon.com/530-118-Stan...F8&qid=1467299346&sr=8-1&keywords=did+530+118

https://www.amazon.com/D-I-D-Pro-St...F8&qid=1467299346&sr=8-5&keywords=did+530+118

Leaning towards this one should I need the sprockets changed too
https://www.amazon.com/D-I-D-DKY-00...08------1-0&sr=1-9&ymm=2007:yamaha:fzs600+fz6

Thanks

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The first kit isn't o-ringed, I'd pass on that.

The last kit with sprockets looks like the best deal. That's the chain I have (top of the line, VX, X ring chain).
I don't what their using for a link, ie removable ML(standard clip) or a pressed ML (which is preferred).

Last edited:

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Agree with above. X ring chains are my preference.
I liked the look of the gold linked chain, so I went with this:
https://amzn.com/B00TQQX6IM

Had to remove a few links, but the price was right. If you get the kit with the sprockets, you should replace the nut/washer for the countershaft sprocket. Will have to be ordered separately, best deal is at Ron Ayers.

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
I got my chain and sprockets from Sprocket Center.

Complete Sprocket & Chain Kits - FZ-6 2004-2009 - Yamaha - STREET

The Superlite/RK 520 conversion was my choice. You can choose your chain color, and gearing for front and rear sprockets very easily in the options. Bit more expensive than the DID option you are leaning towards, but if you were wanting to do a 520 conversion or change your gearing it's worth it.

Just my 2c

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, too. Starting to get a couple sticky links in my chain, so it's probably on it's way out. My sprockets still look good, so probably won't replace those.

X-rings and rivet master links seems to be the thing, but I'm a complete newbie on which brands are considered reliable.

How big a difference does the 520 conversion really make? Also curious if anyone has gone +1 on the rear sprocket without changing anything else and what they thought of the change.

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, too. Starting to get a couple sticky links in my chain, so it's probably on it's way out. My sprockets still look good, so probably won't replace those.

X-rings and rivet master links seems to be the thing, but I'm a complete newbie on which brands are considered reliable.

How big a difference does the 520 conversion really make? Also curious if anyone has gone +1 on the rear sprocket without changing anything else and what they thought of the change.

Give some thought to replacing it as a set, chain and sprockets wear together and if you don't run it on the loose end of the spec you can eat up a new chain pretty fast (ask me how I know...) on the other hand, sticky links can be dealt with via a good cleaning and lubing with an oil based lube (not wax) if they aren't too far gone. How many miles on your setup?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

From another thread but running +2 on the rear. Stock chain used up all the adjustment to make it fit. Thread was which 15T front sprocket....
A 520 is a lot lighter but may not last as long. Doing -1 front and a +2 rear with a 520 will help your acceleration!

Sunstar PN: 2-547448 48-Teeth (530 PN) for the rear if you want to go that route. Hint: Amazoo for $42 so it cost more, but the chain doesn't have to turn as sharp of corner....
It's steel and lighter than the OEM 46T Sunstar from where they trimmed the material. A worthwhile change and the stock chain will fit but it does move the axle forward 3/8"

That said you get more ratio change w/ 15/46 - 3.07:1 vs 16/48 - 3.00:1 but its so close, who cares...

If you look close you see its cut out right to the edge near the teeth.
It does not come in black - that's powder coated.
DSC_8274_zpsqwmmzrbl.jpg

Yes, the rear sprocket swap costs more, but here you can see the difference in material removed making the sprocket a lot lighter.

Sunstar PN: 2-547448 48-Teeth vs OEM 46 tooth. Notice the material being trimmed right up to the teeth, the beveled teeth, and the narrower spokes. Its a lot lighter.
Sunstar46-48_zpszkf8zl0e.jpg

heath_AU

Reaction score
Visit site
I have just recently replaced my chain/sprockets and decided to get a 525 conversion kit. Bought the sprockets (steel) from Metal Gear and its a DID X-ring chain. Around 5000km so far and its just bedded in nicely. Very decent. Highly recommend a 525 convo. The 530 is way too heavy for a widdle 600

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Give some thought to replacing it as a set, chain and sprockets wear together and if you don't run it on the loose end of the spec you can eat up a new chain pretty fast (ask me how I know...) on the other hand, sticky links can be dealt with via a good cleaning and lubing with an oil based lube (not wax) if they aren't too far gone. How many miles on your setup?

Sorry I missed this when you first asked it. I'll see if a more thorough cleaning and some different lube works on the sticky links.

As far as miles, I'm pretty sure these are the factory sprockets and chain. So, 26,500ish? :D

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my chain from online as an OEM Yamaha Fz6 chain. Think I got it from Motosport and then you look under OEM parts and find the chain on the parts fitch. The chain was like 60% off so it only cost me $59.. a stroke of luck I guess. Then I ordered a stock rear sprocket and stock front sprocket(with the rubber dampener).

I think I got it all for $110 or so.

Its still a DID O-ring chain and was continuous with no master link, so the swing arm had to come off to get installed.. It had been about 15,000 mi since I last had the swing arm off so it was due for some fresh grease anyway. Good to go for another 30,000!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my chain from online as an OEM Yamaha Fz6 chain. Think I got it from Motosport and then you look under OEM parts and find the chain on the parts fitch. The chain was like 60% off so it only cost me $59.. a stroke of luck I guess. Then I ordered a stock rear sprocket and stock front sprocket(with the rubber dampener).

I think I got it all for $110 or so.

Its still a DID O-ring chain and was continuous with no master link, so the swing arm had to come off to get installed.. It had been about 15,000 mi since I last had the swing arm off so it was due for some fresh grease anyway. Good to go for another 30,000!

That chain, discounted on Partzilla, is $130.

Best watch over you shoulder for the cops as you stole that!!

Great deal and that chain has been known to go over 30,000 miles if maintained!!

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
That chain, discounted on Partzilla, is $130.

Best watch over you shoulder for the cops as you stole that!!

Great deal and that chain has been known to go over 30,000 miles if maintained!!

Yeah you know me.. Quite the Bandit!!
I might have googled the part # and found the best price.. I do that from time to time to find stuff cheap. Have I ever mentioned that I am Cheap?!

I figured this next chain should last me a solid 30,000.
I'm trying to be part of the exclusive 100k club here.. though only about 65k more to go lol.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Heck, I'll look around for the best deal as well, BUT, I can "beat" you on that chain deal!

Sometime ago, I replaced my chain with a new DID X ring chain. Within approx 5,000 miles, the x-rings started spitting out the sides (about two years old).

Admittedly, I'm very anal about the bike and lube the chain no less than every 200 miles. I bitched to DID, sent them pic's, etc.
They were very understanding and eventually sent me a brand new gold side plated chain as a replacement!!

They wanted the old one back to inspect and they paid to ship that back.

Talk about customer service!! This chains held up fine so far, adjusted it once, looks sharp too (the only gold on the bike)...

bpchura

Reaction score
Visit site
Figure I'll jump in on this while its somewhat new... Anyone have recommendations on break/rivet tool???

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Figure I'll jump in on this while its somewhat new... Anyone have recommendations on break/rivet tool???

You need to rivet it back too!

I bought the top of the line (tool addict) and bought this KM501E which you CANNOT over tighten the master link.

It IS top of the line, super heavy duty and NOT cheap..

Others, you have to MEASURE the flared end as you go along. Too tight, grind it off, get a new link and get to perform a "do over".

D.I.D. Racing Chains and DirtStar® Rims

DID KM500 Chain Cutting and Riveting Tool - Motorcycle Superstore

Last edited: