Newbie question: What tools do I need for an oil change and chain adjustment?

Johnson

Reaction score
Visit site
What type/brand of chain lube, regular petroleum based, chain wax, etc are you using?

Is the cleaner chain specific? Are you using water PRESSURE to remove the dirt? If so, DON'T... A running garden hose is plenty. You don't want to blow all the oil from inside the chain out..

I've found lubing the chain more often than every five hundred miles helps with noise /longevity...

Lastly, the RPM's shouldn't change in neutral or in gear with the clutch in. IF it IS, you have an issue with the clutch dragging, not adjusted correctly, etc..

It was pretty cold this morning (35F) and it was hovering around 1600 when I first started but then settled to around 1100-1200 once I was on the road and stopped at any point. Haven't had the engine die on me since adjusting the idle RPMs so I take that as a good sign? Is this something that should be mointored?

I use Dupoint Chain/sprocket degreaser and Dupont lube degreaser. Didn't get a chance to check slack today as I found out my finger injury is a bit more severe than I thought and thus will be sidelined for 6 - 12 weeks...which might end my riding season depending on weather in January but will start the winterizing process just to be safe.

Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated!!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like it's pretty good, both cold and hot.. Doesn't sound like it needs monitoring unless it starts acting up.

Make sure you "winterize" your bike if it's laid up for months-Fuel stabilizer, FULL FUEL TANK, etc.

Just a side note, I use Yamaha's Ring Free in every gas machine I own. Keeps the fuel system clean, carbon down and the bike running tops.
Highly recommended... https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/ring-free-plus?b=Search&d=34&nw=yamaha-motor-company

Most Yamaha marina's carry it or order on-line(usually a little cheaper). Not cheap but 1 oz treats 10 gallons and your bike will be purring.. :)

Good luck with the finger too! NO snow shoveling for you!