changed plugs/oiled filter, running weird

kennedyted

Reaction score
Visit site
i changed out the plugs, bike has 7k miles on it, u could smell the fuel and plugs were black, i replaced em with autozones plugs, their system says it will work, but my concern is they are only single head plugs, the stock ngks are 2 headed, i get everything back together and reload zero map in pc, and it seems to be running worse , it bogs down alot, like a standard in the wrong gear, especially if bike is cooler if i go from 0-WOT it will almost stall but catches itself, could i get away with cleaning the ngks off and trying em out, trying to avoid taking it to the dealer here, but will if i have to.......... on a side note its got airbox mod and pc3 with slipons, should i just unhook the pc3 or does the 0 map make it default to the bikes setup?.......i dont get it , the plugs are black , doesnt that mean its running lean? i can smell fuel in the exhaust, and it has all 3 cats still, oh yeah cleaned and oiled kn air filter as well

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
If your plugs were black and you are smelling fuel that is a tell tell sign that it's rich. I would be looking for a good tuner in your area to have the bike dyno tuned. Also did you gap the new plugs before putting them in?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Were the NGK's black when you pulled them as well?

That would indicate you had a problem before, just worse now...

You may try unhooking the PC altogether and see what happens...

Last edited:

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
The thing I would try is unhook the power commander and chuck a new set of standard ngk plugs in it. Also make sure you havnt over oiled the air filter. Then see how you go. Get the bike nice and hot and give it a good ride and then pull the plugs to see how they look.

kennedyted

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah i gapped em, the ngks were black i have not checked the autolites yet, was gonna go through a tank of gas, issue with unhooking the pc3 is it has 4 plugs and i dont see anything else that is unplugged, to replug the fuel computer

kennedyted

Reaction score
Visit site
on a side note, could the airbox mod, prolly a 3 inc oval, cause any of this,could it be sucking in way to much air and not handling it ? it does it way more when bike is cold, i let it warm up b4 riding but i noticed it anyways, after i changed the plugs it began to feel almost like a misfire, id hit it real hard it would accelerate but there would be like a hitch in the smooth accelleration, ill let it go the rest of this tank then change the plugs back

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Autolite? Might just want to get the proper spark plug to start. If you ran it too rich you might have fool a plug. Air filter clean? Hook up all the hose back on from the airbox? AT sensor hook back up?

My airbox is modded also (FZ6R) stock the opening is about the size of a cigarette pack, now it's open the size of the air filter. I haven't feel any huge difference other than better top end. Might be different on your bike...

Ok, running out of idea... Good luck!

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure your Zero map is all zeros.

Disconnect the negative lead on the battery for a few minutes then re connect.

As others have said, you're running rich. More fuel and less air. If you haven't, open and inspect the air box and check air filter.
Running that rich, I'm surprised your ECU hasn't thrown an error code. Check O2 sensor and wires.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Also you said you oiled the filter, what did you use? The k&n stuff?

It seems that either one or 2 things could be making it run worse then it did before. Either the plugs are not igniting all the fuel, or the bike is not getting enough intake air because of too much oil or the wrong oil.

Here's a quick easy test you can do to eliminate the oil and air filter thing, just take it out and run around the block. Don't run it too long like this but a short ride to get a idea won't hurt. If the bike starts to run great then you over oiled or used the wrong oil on the filter. If nothing changed then it's the plugs.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What does this mean exactly??
but my concern is they are only single head plugs, the stock ngks are 2 headed

Are you talking about the top of the plug and one has threads and the other has solid fill? OR are you talking about the ground strap(s) by the electrode end??

If its the first of the two its going to run bad as the cap is likely not locked on to the plug correctly to transfer the ignitions energy. Did you feel the spark plug boot/cap assembly click into place and lock onto the spark plug? This is very important or you will be stranded one day when the cap burns out.

Please advise. . .

kennedyted

Reaction score
Visit site
by 2 heads i mean by electrode, ive only ever seen spark plugs that have one head as i call it by the electrode that ignites, the ngks have 2 the autolites they said would work have 1 like a normal car plug, im noticing a misfire, at least what i think is a misfire im gonna clean off old plugs, they r in great shape just blackened, i shoulda just replaced with the ngks instead of being a cheap prick

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
by 2 heads i mean by electrode, ive only ever seen spark plugs that have one head as i call it by the electrode that ignites, the ngks have 2 the autolites they said would work have 1 like a normal car plug, im noticing a misfire, at least what i think is a misfire im gonna clean off old plugs, they r in great shape just blackened, i shoulda just replaced with the ngks instead of being a cheap prick

The part that you would adjust the plug gap is the ground prong/tip... The electrode is the center part.

If the NGK's were black coming out, your bike was running too rich for some reason... It'll run better for a little while but new plugs won't fix the running rich condition

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
on a side note, could the airbox mod, prolly a 3 inc oval, cause any of this,could it be sucking in way to much air and not handling it ? it does it way more when bike is cold, i let it warm up b4 riding but i noticed it anyways, after i changed the plugs it began to feel almost like a misfire, id hit it real hard it would accelerate but there would be like a hitch in the smooth accelleration, ill let it go the rest of this tank then change the plugs back

I second the above motion. If ZERO map didn't help it, I'd pull the PC off and disconnect the battery.
No, your air box mod should not play a roll at off-idle rpms. Did you gap the autolites? And to what value? Have you ever ran it at night (Need it real dark) and looked for arc-over at the plug wires? It could be you have a weak or faulty ignition coil(s) / wires.

It simply sounds like its WAY TOO RICH! Does it blow black clouds when rev'd?
Does it still have the O2 sensor connected?

Also - is it just me or did Yama'rs fail to detail how to troubleshoot the O2 sensor? As best I can tell if it doesn't generate a fault that is detected by the ECM, its good. But in reality, THAT IS FAR FROM THE TRUTH!

O2 Sensors go bad and get lazy especially if abused by excess fuel being dumped into them, oil, silicone, and none approved fuel products.

ECM have any erros on display?

kennedyted

Reaction score
Visit site
appreciate all the input, got an update, i drove it to buffalo and back and around while there, changed back the ngks after i cleaned em off, ran alot better, ended up getting around 45-50 mpg as well, the autolites came out clean but they were not in there long, ill see how it works,on a side note i found out the wot throttle is just a side issue of not being warmed up enough, buddy with 09 r6(rode out to meet him) says his does it as well, i had usually warmed my bike up but i didnt this time when i was changing plugs so i noticed it