changing fork oil/seals

kennedyted

Reaction score
Visit site
ive read a couple write ups but am clueless when it comes to suspension, id like to change my fork oil and seals, im a good 315lbs and i think im seeing a slight leak out of the right fork ive cleaned it off a few times its a red oil, not sure what color fork oil is but nohting else it can come from at the spot its in, my question is does it require any special tools to change the fork oil and seals?

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
You will need a seal driver for 43mm forks. You may want to get new springs for your weight.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
used fork oil is usually a silvery colour, so i'd be a little concerned if red stuff was coming out.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
ive read a couple write ups but am clueless when it comes to suspension, id like to change my fork oil and seals, im a good 315lbs and i think im seeing a slight leak out of the right fork ive cleaned it off a few times its a red oil, not sure what color fork oil is but nohting else it can come from at the spot its in, my question is does it require any special tools to change the fork oil and seals?

Changing the oil involves taking the fork legs off the bike. You have to remove the wheel, fender, brake calipers, to be able to slide the legs out of the triple clamps.

If you are seeing a ring of oil on one of your fork legs, sort of like a high water mark.... that's your seal leaking on that leg. If the color of the oil something other than nearly clear, it's not OEM oil. Someone has been in there before.

At 315 lbs, you would benefit a bunch from changing the fork springs while you are in there fixing the seals. If would be a very good idea to look into changing the rear shock spring, as well. At 210lbs, I considered the stock suspension to be very weak -- It's got to be far worse for you.

The seals, it may be less bother to take the legs to a shop and have them pressed in for you. Depends on your mechanical expertise.

irish190

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd love to see a pic of you on your bike. I'm 280 and can only imagine, LOL. Looks like I'm riding a little 80 or something.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A short cut, at least for the KLR's (and could be adapted for the FZ) is that they have a shrader valve (tire air valve) installed in the top fork cap (for higher fork pressure off road).

Once the dust seal and retainer clip is removed from the fork leg, pressurizing the fork literally blows the fork oil seal up and out of the lower leg. Obviously, making sure where the seating surface is nice and clean makes things easier.

Should you find a spare fork cap for your FZ, drill, then epoxy in a full thread (nuts on both sides) shrader valve and let dry.

Install on the fork and put a rag around the seal to prevent oil from spraying out. It should blow out the seal without pulling the forks full apart.

On the KLR it would take pressure anywhere from 50-90 PSI but would come out...

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
You can use the same sort of trick but fill the fork totally up with oil and put it in a press. Shouldn't take much and the seal will pop out. I would recommend pulling them all the way apart though, lots of crap builds up in forks overtime.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A short cut, at least for the KLR's (and could be adapted for the FZ) is that they have a shrader valve (tire air valve) installed in the top fork cap (for higher fork pressure off road).

Once the dust seal and retainer clip is removed from the fork leg, pressurizing the fork literally blows the fork oil seal up and out of the lower leg. Obviously, making sure where the seating surface is nice and clean makes things easier.

Should you find a spare fork cap for your FZ, drill, then epoxy in a full thread (nuts on both sides) shrader valve and let dry.

Install on the fork and put a rag around the seal to prevent oil from spraying out. It should blow out the seal without pulling the forks full apart.

On the KLR it would take pressure anywhere from 50-90 PSI but would come out...

That's a good idea! Be sure to Dump the oil out while the cap is off!

You can use the same sort of trick but fill the fork totally up with oil and put it in a press. Shouldn't take much and the seal will pop out. I would recommend pulling them all the way apart though, lots of crap builds up in forks overtime.

That's a good idea! Be sure to Pull the SPRING out and it may work like a charm.

Hint: fill it back up with 10wt oil!
As mentioned; the red oil suggests someone has already been into these forks before so it may already have heavier weight oil than it came with new. SO - if you put stock wt oil back in, you may be very disappointed. Was the original owner a bigger person also?