Changing headlights

boars

Iced coffee fiend
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never done wiring or much in the way of modifications in any way shape or form so forgive me my lack of knowledge in this area...

I'm looking to switch headlights from the stock FZ6 light to something from another make of bike.

Do I/should I buy a wiring loom for the new light and one for the FZ6 and then wire them together? I don't want to touch my existing wiring so I can switch back at a later date (should I choose to).

If anyone knows a thread I should be reading or something I've missed here, please let me know

Any help/insight welcome - thanks! :cheer:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Assuming they use the same headlight bulbs, the connector will work with both.

I'm not sure how the Naked harness looks though

boars

Iced coffee fiend
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thought I'd update with a pic of my intentions...

20120113_171344.jpg

I've been slack and it's been sitting in a box :spank:

Going to probably get this mounted in the next month or so when i can get some time off work

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Thought I'd update with a pic of my intentions...

20120113_171344.jpg

I've been slack and it's been sitting in a box :spank:

Going to probably get this mounted in the next month or so when i can get some time off work

Get some bi-xenon projectors to fit inside that headlight, (they will be powered through the ballast and battery and make the appropriate connections on your OEM H4 plug (1 plug can make the switching for 2 projectors ;))

Grtz,

Degake

boars

Iced coffee fiend
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Get some bi-xenon projectors to fit inside that headlight, (they will be powered through the ballast and battery and make the appropriate connections on your OEM H4 plug (1 plug can make the switching for 2 projectors ;))

Grtz,

Degake

Does that mean I can have both lights running at the same time?

Which is something I really want - I dislike the whole have one light running and the other off... makes it feel lopsided.

Any recommendations on what brand to buy?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Which is something I really want - I dislike the whole have one light running and the other off... makes it feel lopsided.

If you do a the BD43 mod, its a plug and play wire that lights up BOTH STOCK LOW BEAMS, the HB works as it should. Its about a 30-60 minute mod depending on your mecanical skills..

If all you want is two low beam headlights, this, IMHO is the best solution and under $30.00

http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/1666-bd43s-07-headlight-mod-part-2-a.html

Last edited:

boars

Iced coffee fiend
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think legally speaking in Australia/queensland... we need to have high beams?

Not one hundred percent sure on that however...

Either way I do intend to have high beams as you can never have enough light on some roads. :thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think legally speaking in Australia/queensland... we need to have high beams?

Not one hundred percent sure on that however...

Either way I do intend to have high beams as you can never have enough light on some roads. :thumbup:

With the BD43 mod, the high beam will work as it does now, that same bulb will, with the mod, Illuminate. When switched to HB at the switch, that LB bulb turns off (as it should) and you have your high beam. The mod actually plugs into the factory harness.

I suspect Yamaha didn't hook it up to same some wattage. I've never had a problem wattage wise with the mod and I do, in the winter (it does get cold in Florida occasionally) use a heated vest and gloves, again without any problems. Just turn them off when stopped at a red light so you don't drain the battery..

Put some PIAA power sport 100/110 watt bulbs as well (draws 55 watts-takes an H4 and an H7 bulb) and you have a fairly easy, much more light, upgrade with any major mods...

Last edited:

boars

Iced coffee fiend
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah the bike is naked, I've never paid the bulbs much attention to be honest, will have to pull the light off the bike again and have a look at what it all looks like. Did have a quick attempt at detaching the primary light and it was a right pain ... so didn't bother as I was just doing so out of curiosity...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah the bike is naked, I've never paid the bulbs much attention to be honest, will have to pull the light off the bike again and have a look at what it all looks like. Did have a quick attempt at detaching the primary light and it was a right pain ... so didn't bother as I was just doing so out of curiosity...

If the bike is a naked bike the original lamp should have been a single dual filament H4 type lamp and in order to have the high beam function the low beam filament should shut off when the high beam is turned on. This prevents the lamp from over heating and premature failure. The non-naked FZ6 (Fairing version) does not do this because they use two different lamps for low and high beam operation. The BD43 and Motogiro headlamp mods provide the ability to use the existing low beam (right side on fairing version) that is not wired by the factory and provide proper low beam switching. A simple test light will confirm whether your low beam turns off when the high beam is turned on.

If you have the OEM naked FZ6 you should not need any additional switching. The factory switching is already set up.

Color code for the FZ6 head lamps:
Black = Ground
Black with green tracer = Low beam
Black with yellow tracer = High beam

You can run both low beams and both high beams on your new assembly with the existing circuit on your FZ6 with the existing wires, provided the new lamps are dual filament. If the lamps are a HID type with a shutter/plunger the lamp transformers will be powered by an ignition controlled source of voltage. The shutter/plunger will be operated by by the high beam circuit. :D

Last edited:

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site

Yes, you will be able to run both lights at the same time!!

If you do a the BD43 mod, its a plug and play wire that lights up BOTH STOCK LOW BEAMS, the HB works as it should. Its about a 30-60 minute mod depending on your mecanical skills..

If all you want is two low beam headlights, this, IMHO is the best solution and under $30.00

http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/1666-bd43s-07-headlight-mod-part-2-a.html

With the BD43 mod, the high beam will work as it does now, that same bulb will, with the mod, Illuminate. When switched to HB at the switch, that LB bulb turns off (as it should) and you have your high beam. The mod actually plugs into the factory harness.

I suspect Yamaha didn't hook it up to same some wattage. I've never had a problem wattage wise with the mod and I do, in the winter (it does get cold in Florida occasionally) use a heated vest and gloves, again without any problems. Just turn them off when stopped at a red light so you don't drain the battery..

Put some PIAA power sport 100/110 watt bulbs as well (draws 55 watts-takes an H4 and an H7 bulb) and you have a fairly easy, much more light, upgrade with any major mods...

There isn't any mod necessary with an FZ6N, as it has the proper switching from factory.

Boars, can you tell me what headlight that is you will be using? (From which bike? What lights are fitted in it? Are those projector lights? Or just reflectors?
If you could tell me, I might be able to give you directions towards the proper HID lights (or projectors).

Grtz,

Degake

edit: I should've seen there was a second page of this thread!! :spank: Anyway, Motogiro is 100% correct!! :thumbup:

Last edited:

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
To answer my own questions:
It seems like it's the '08 Ducati 1098 headlight you want to use, right?
Those are fitted with 2 H11 bulbs.
If you want to use H11 HID bulbs, you will have to modify the wiring, as there is no Hi/Lo option on those bulbs.
So you'll have to split your OEM H4 fitting, to provide power to the bulb for low beam, and the proper switching for the high/passing light. This will have some difficulties, as you will have to make sure your low beam stays on when using high/passing (using relay/diode).
With this, it will also mean the bulb in the High/passing projector will fail sooner, as it will be used to flash, instead of burn continously.
The headlight is in fact designed to be used as the FZ6 (faired version) headlight; only 1 light lit. This means that the 2nd projector is designed to be used as high beam only (so you will definately blind oncoming traffic, unless you aim it lower, which will leave you with a useless high beam when/if you need it.

Plus;
People at the Ducati forum complain that the light output of the standard halogen projectors is really poor. Putting some HID's inside it will give a bit better light, but also the forementioned problems.

There is however another, better option, if you are willing to do some work.
There is a guy at a Ducati forum that fitted the Morimoto Mini H1 bi-xenon projectors inside that housing, giving a full dual Bi-xenon headlight.
You will have some brackets/adapters to be made (but the CAD design is available, so it should only be a problem finding a machinist that can make the drawing into an actual bracket.)

Here are the links:

Thread at Ducati.org forum about installing the Morimoto Mini H1 into a 1098 headlight
Complete install, howto and specifications

Parts needed:
Morimoto Mini H1 4.1 Projectors Note: these are only the projectors!! (The loose projectors are an updated version of the ones included in the complete retrofit package). You will also need to order the bulbs of your choice.

H4 Bi-Xenon relay This relay will give you the necessary connections/switching coming from your OEM H4 socket.
The OEM socket will make the relay switch, which delivers the power from the battery towards the 2 ballasts you'll need.

Slimline ballast You will need 2 of these. (Note: you can't use the ballasts from TRS, as they are too thick to be placed under the gas tank. (If you want to fully sacrifice you're storage compartment under your seat, you can go with some non-slimline ballasts, I guess.)

HID extension cable You will need 2 cables in total (the link provided is an auction for 4 cables). The length should be 1 meter! (otherwise they will be to short!) I've used a shorter version (60cm), which is really tight fitting (and I have an extra adaptor cable going from a D2S bulb to an AMP connector of 20cm).

Grtz,

Degake

Last edited:

boars

Iced coffee fiend
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not 100% on this but I believe it's an 08 848 headlight... which is essentially the same thing?

It was listed as "DUCATI 848 1098 08 FRONT HEADLIGHT LIGHT" CAPS being theirs.

Either way, I was going to have to stick this headlight in the oven, even if i went for just hi one side and not the other... for I bought it from the USA and their lights are setup for the other side of the road and the inserts in the headlights are set up on the wrong sides, I figured (and hoped) I should be able to reverse that and use standard bulbs if worst came to worst.

Some extra modification while they're apart wouldn't be too big of a deal I guess... depending on the cost!

Wow degake, that's really helpful, thanks a lot! I'll shout you a beer or two (somehow) when this is all done.

Time to do some more reading - thanks!

Edit: so hrmn another ~300 in parts - need to find someone to fab the extra mounting bits, pay them too, ... get a new mount so the headlight fits the bike... then do all the electrics which I have next to no experience with haha... oh well... onward and upwards!

Probably a conservative guess but I think 500 should see me finish this... >_> anyone want to buy some 18" car rims? ;) ;) ;) or a leupold rifle scope? ;) Time to sell some excess crap I have around the house ;)

Last edited:

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not 100% on this but I believe it's an 08 848 headlight... which is essentially the same thing?

It was listed as "DUCATI 848 1098 08 FRONT HEADLIGHT LIGHT" CAPS being theirs.

Either way, I was going to have to stick this headlight in the oven, even if i went for just hi one side and not the other... for I bought it from the USA and their lights are setup for the other side of the road and the inserts in the headlights are set up on the wrong sides, I figured (and hoped) I should be able to reverse that and use standard bulbs if worse came to worst.

Some extra modification while they're apart wouldn't be too big of a deal I guess... depending on the cost!

Wow degake, that's really helpful, thanks a lot! I'll shout you a beer or two (somehow) when this is all done.

Time to do some more reading - thanks!

The '08 ducati 848 and 1098 use the same headlight :thumbup:

Let me know if you need some help!! ;)

p.s. You could also just go for a single Bi-Xenon projector in your OEM FZ6N housing ;) I'll get a thread started when mine is completely finished and qualified :D

boars

Iced coffee fiend
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The '08 ducati 848 and 1098 use the same headlight :thumbup:

Let me know if you need some help!! ;)

p.s. You could also just go for a single Bi-Xenon projector in your OEM FZ6N housing ;) I'll get a thread started when mine is completely finished and qualified :D

I'll probably run into issues as soon as all my parts arrive ;) First, I need to wait for next pay day... I ordered a new exhaust (mivv souno full carbon) ... booked a holiday... and then half my yearly bills came in... house/car insurance/rego/rates/etc/etc ... my credit card needs a moments peace! As soon as that recovers I'll be getting them sent :)

I'm pulling the stock light off and hopefully that will be the last i see of it, no point putting a projector in it! It'd probably be great for visibility but I didn't want to switch to the 848 light for better light, just thought it'd look nice. :D

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll probably run into issues as soon as all my parts arrive ;) First, I need to wait for next pay day... I ordered a new exhaust (mivv souno full carbon) ... booked a holiday... and then half my yearly bills came in... house/car insurance/rego/rates/etc/etc ... my credit card needs a moments peace! As soon as that recovers I'll be getting them sent :)

I'm pulling the stock light off and hopefully that will be the last i see of it, no point putting a projector in it! It'd probably be great for visibility but I didn't want to switch to the 848 light for better light, just thought it'd look nice. :D

It will definately look unique!! :thumbup:

Grtz,

Degake