Classification change?

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all. I've been lurking on these and the SBN forums for a couple years drooling over everyone's fantastic bikes and I'm finally taking delivery of a Raven 08 next week. Just wanted to see if anyone else has seen a huge insurance rate difference between the pre-08 and the 08 FZ6?

I was looking at a '05 FZ6 earlier this year and was quoted $146 a year full coverage (which made sense as my 03 BMW F650CS was around 142 a year). Once I found out I was getting the 08 I called just to see what the difference would be, figured maybe $50 a year at the most since its 3 years newer but sadly I was just quoted over $800 :eek: They said this year has been classified as a supersport...I haven't got a VIN yet to give them so I'm hoping its a serious mistake but I just wanted to check if anyone else has ran into this.

If this is correct, I'm going to back out of the deal and get the R1 I was looking at...they only wanted $100 more a year for that :confused: and if I'm gonna pay for a supersport I'm sure as heck gonna ride one!

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

Insurance cost is enough to sway you from an FZ6 to an R1??? Two very different bikes that are good at very different things.

They must have read sportrider's threads and seen some of ped's videos....

No seriously, classifications will differ from company to company...you need to shop around perhaps? I use foremost insurance and they have dropped my rate after every incident-free year.

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all. I've been lurking on these and the SBN forums for a couple years drooling over everyone's fantastic bikes and I'm finally taking delivery of a Raven 08 next week. Just wanted to see if anyone else has seen a huge insurance rate difference between the pre-08 and the 08 FZ6?

I was looking at a '05 FZ6 earlier this year and was quoted $146 a year full coverage (which made sense as my 03 BMW F650CS was around 142 a year). Once I found out I was getting the 08 I called just to see what the difference would be, figured maybe $50 a year at the most since its 3 years newer but sadly I was just quoted over $800 :eek: They said this year has been classified as a supersport...I haven't got a VIN yet to give them so I'm hoping its a serious mistake but I just wanted to check if anyone else has ran into this.

If this is correct, I'm going to back out of the deal and get the R1 I was looking at...they only wanted $100 more a year for that :confused: and if I'm gonna pay for a supersport I'm sure as heck gonna ride one!

If you've been lurking for years on this forum and we still have not convinced you that the FZ6 is a better choice than the R1 then don't let the insurance cost be the decider. Just get what you want. :Sport:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My insurance doesn't care what the classification is. Liberty Mutual bases the rates on engine CC alone. My '08 FZ6 is $241 for full coverage. My wife's '08 V Star 650 is $387 for the same coverage! :eek:

Just as mdr said, get what you really want. Do you want a high performance, aggressive, fast racer or Sport/Tourer with great performance and "standard" ergos?

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
I went to a friend of mine who was an insurance agent so I could trust him to find me the lowest quote. After a day or two of searching the lowest we could find was $2,000 (I'm a new rider) a year for full coverage! He said it was probably because it was a "supersport". There wasn't much of a difference between new and used either. Maybe we should petition Yamaha to change the classification? I really don't think it's a supersport, it's a commuter bike for crying out loud!

dereknjenny04

Reaction score
Visit site
I am with American Family, and my 08 FZ6 costs me around $300 a year. This is my first bike.

My buddy also bought a used 06 FZ6 and went with same company. His is just a little over $200 a year. These are both for full coverage.

I am around 30 years old.

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I'm 19. That's why insurance is so damn expensive. It will probably (hopefully) go down after a couple years.

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
I went to a friend of mine who was an insurance agent so I could trust him to find me the lowest quote. After a day or two of searching the lowest we could find was $2,000 (I'm a new rider) a year for full coverage! He said it was probably because it was a "supersport". There wasn't much of a difference between new and used either. Maybe we should petition Yamaha to change the classification? I really don't think it's a supersport, it's a commuter bike for crying out loud!

$2k... OUCH!!! Ask him to quote you for a new Suzuki GS500F. I'm with State Farm and I pay the same for the GS500 as for the FZ6. Believe me the GS is no SS. :eek:

I don't think Yamaha is the one doing the classification. Sounds like an "insurance industry" thing.

Not to pry, but how old are you and how's your driving record... accidents in last 5 years? Points on license? Gotta be some reason the rates that high (besides "supersport" thing). You don't have to reply. Just something to think about.

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
$2k... OUCH!!! Ask him to quote you for a new Suzuki GS500F. I'm with State Farm and I pay the same for the GS500 as for the FZ6. Believe me the GS is no SS. :eek:

I don't think Yamaha is the one doing the classification. Sounds like an "insurance industry" thing.

Not to pry, but how old are you and how's your driving record... accidents in last 5 years? Points on license? Gotta be some reason the rates that high (besides "supersport" thing). You don't have to reply. Just something to think about.

Perfect driving record, not even so much as a ticket. But I'm 19:banghead:

I'm not paying the $2k a year. I had to go with Liability only so I could afford to eat.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Age and Sex has more to do with it than experience. My wife just got her MC license three years ago and insurance wasn't much more than today's cost (It was a new 650 thumper at that time).

I have twins, a boy and a girl. When they both got their used cars (same day, lol!), they both went to Liberty Mutual at age 19 and asked for a quote for the same coverage. These were on older 4 cyl 4 door sedans, one being a Ford and the other a Dodge but basically the same car classification. They asked for liability with medical and a 100k instead of the state's 40k coverage. Twin Girl gets her quote at $694 per year. Twin Boy gets HIS quote (all the same stuff!!!) for $2,100 for the year. :eek:

Explaination was because of the statistics of young male drivers causing accidents.

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
I am with American Family, and my 08 FZ6 costs me around $300 a year. This is my first bike.

My buddy also bought a used 06 FZ6 and went with same company. His is just a little over $200 a year. These are both for full coverage.

I am around 30 years old.

Thanks for the info - I'm with American Family as well and have car and renters insurance through them too. 25 years old, single, clear record and 3 claim/ticket-free years of bike insurance through them. After your reply I'm thinking she almost certainly must have misquoted me.

Mostly kidding about the R1 - a friend of a friend is in a tight spot and really needs to get rid of his and was asking next to nothing for it. After riding it, it was uncomfortable and scared the piss out of me - the outrageous insurance was just the stinkbait cherry on top of the crap sundae

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Call several companies. I have never riden a bike before. This is my first bike. I called three companies each wanting $1000 a year. Progressive I only pay 35$ a month full coverage, 28 yrs old, no previous bike experience, and no drivers training courses. O and I have a 07 FZ6.

PrayHarder

Keep on driving !
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info - I'm with American Family as well and have car and renters insurance through them too. 25 years old, single, clear record and 3 claim/ticket-free years of bike insurance through them. After your reply I'm thinking she almost certainly must have misquoted me.

Mostly kidding about the R1 - a friend of a friend is in a tight spot and really needs to get rid of his and was asking next to nothing for it. After riding it, it was uncomfortable and scared the piss out of me - the outrageous insurance was just the stinkbait cherry on top of the crap sundae

You might try State Farm as well....mine is only $250ish for a year of full coverage with $500 deductables...

Ben

hot4teach

Reaction score
Visit site
Dairyland/Sentry Insurance. Look them up on the web. Half of the Allstate quote. Allstate had the FZ6 classified as high theft risk.

dereknjenny04

Reaction score
Visit site
Call several companies. I have never riden a bike before. This is my first bike. I called three companies each wanting $1000 a year. Progressive I only pay 35$ a month full coverage, 28 yrs old, no previous bike experience, and no drivers training courses. O and I have a 07 FZ6.

Wow. I tried Progressive and I was quoted over $800. I'm 29 years with same, no training;first bike.

FZ6er_FSR

Reaction score
Visit site
As mentioned from someone before, your agent must have selected the wrong bike in the computer. I even had one agent tell me that the FZ6 didn't exist in the system so they fill it in as an R6.:confused: Well, it didn't really matter, I ended up going with a different insurance company because they gave me a better rate.:D

For vehicle registration, the SAAQ or DMV in my area still classifies the FZ6 as a regular motorcycle. My motorcycle dealer told me depending on which insurance company I go with, they may classify the FZ6 as a supersport. Some care if you have an alarm installed and some don't, etc.....

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow. I tried Progressive and I was quoted over $800. I'm 29 years with same, no training;first bike.
I did a online form and it quoted me at $600 with progressive. I called there tech help number listed above the form. I told the guy I was hoping to get a better rate. He asked me a bunch of questions about were I work what was my insurance package and benefits like at work. I am considerd a state employee and have gov benefits. He said some of the stuff I had with my comany ins cancells out others on the bike insurance. He told me what to put into the blanks and it got it all the way down to 400 a year :thumbup:

KensFz6

Wreck in progress
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got an '08 FZ6 and was quoted over $1200 for full coverage through progressive.

My brother-in law had full coverage on both a HD 1200CC and a YZF-R6 and both were less than $300 for full coverage.

I'm still in the process of looking for quotes but I think the difference is mainly because of location (I'm from chicago, he's in southern IL) and he's married and I'm single.

jrgimaging

Reaction score
Visit site
a lot of it is based on where you live

progressive where i live, for a new '08 for a 33 year old with a clean driving record full coverage with 1k deductibles is 1500 a year