Classification change?

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Age and Sex has more to do with it than experience. My wife just got her MC license three years ago and insurance wasn't much more than today's cost (It was a new 650 thumper at that time).

I have twins, a boy and a girl. When they both got their used cars (same day, lol!), they both went to Liberty Mutual at age 19 and asked for a quote for the same coverage. These were on older 4 cyl 4 door sedans, one being a Ford and the other a Dodge but basically the same car classification. They asked for liability with medical and a 100k instead of the state's 40k coverage. Twin Girl gets her quote at $694 per year. Twin Boy gets HIS quote (all the same stuff!!!) for $2,100 for the year. :eek:

Explaination was because of the statistics of young male drivers causing accidents.

more like young male swerves to miss young female on cell phone and hits something.......

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine was $600 something a year for full coverage through pregressive. I'm 25 with no MSF or riding experience when quoted and I've dealt with insurance companies before... (i.e. my driving record is not empty). Shop around and make sure they aren't screwing something up. I also got quotes on an 08 GSXR600 and that one was in the $2k range- no thanks!

Oh and yes Yamaha does classify it as a supersport, that's where I found it on their website many months ago.

oldtimer

Oh Noes!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Throwing numbers around doesn't help. You need to qualify your premiums with:

Coverage Amounts:
MSF Course Taken:
AMA Member:
Tickets w/in 3 years?:
Bike Year:

As an example for me:

Sex: M
Deductible: 1000
Coverage Amounts: 20/14/15, Comprehensive/Collission
MSF Course Taken: Yes
AMA Member: No
Tickets w/in 3 years?: No
Bike Year: 2008
Progressive: $841/yr
Nationwide: $722/yr

What does everyone have for coverage amounts? Is 20/14/15 too low?

Shafe716

Reaction score
Visit site
Just a little bit of incentive for those "lowest price" insurance jumpers out there. Stay with one company and it will save you money in the long run. I've been with state farm for my entire driving career. I just bought my 07 FZ6 brand new off of a dealer... first bike ever(i know:spank: but it was too awesome to pass up)... my premium for the year was $115. Granted I only have Liability and live in upstate NY but still 10yrs with the same agent will pay dividends in the end. :thumbup:

oldtimer

Oh Noes!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a little bit of incentive for those "lowest price" insurance jumpers out there. Stay with one company and it will save you money in the long run. I've been with state farm for my entire driving career. I just bought my 07 FZ6 brand new off of a dealer... first bike ever(i know:spank: but it was too awesome to pass up)... my premium for the year was $115. Granted I only have Liability and live in upstate NY but still 10yrs with the same agent will pay dividends in the end. :thumbup:

You should consider getting comprehensive/collision.

I got liability only at first, but then realized if I were to wreck my bike due to a n00b mistake (this is my first bike afterall and I'm a new rider), I will instaneously lose my 6-7k investment because I wanted to save $500/yr.

Bloodbag

Reaction score
Visit site
Allstate quoted $1200 a year for full coverage or $150 a year liability for a 2008 FZ6. Even the agent was surprised at the cost; he attributed it to the 600cc engine, which I guess is a red flag for most insurance companies. This is the same company I have had my car (and my current motorcycle) with for a few years. Also, I am 29 year old male and living in Charlotte, NC.

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Throwing numbers around doesn't help. You need to qualify your premiums with:

Coverage Amounts:
MSF Course Taken:
AMA Member:
Tickets w/in 3 years?:
Bike Year:

As an example for me:

Sex: M
Deductible: 1000
Coverage Amounts: 20/14/15, Comprehensive/Collission
MSF Course Taken: Yes
Bike Year: 2008
Progressive: $841/yr
Nationwide: $722/yr

What does everyone have for coverage amounts? Is 20/14/15 too low?
Sex: Everyday<---- I am guessing this is why mine is cheaper:rof::liar:
Deductible: 250 Comprehensive/500 Collision
Coverage Amounts:25/50/25
MSF Course Taken:No
Bike Year: 2007
Progressive:374.64:thumbup:

Last edited:

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
Well my dealer got the bike in this morning and I was able to get the VIN and got an accurate quote this time of $167 a year, should be picking it up tonight :D

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm forking out 1300 a year to Progressive after I had called them and they told me that it was going to be 500 a year. When I had already bought the bike and went to get insurance they popped in another 800 dollars.

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
You'd insure people for that cheap too if there wasn't a proper twisty road for 100 miles or so :( Also helps that they insure it as a 'pleasure' vehicle even though I usually put about 3-4x the amount of miles on my bike as my car.