Clutch Cable Routing Help

tucker

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, newbie here both to the forum, and to my FZ6. The previous owner did a side-of-the-road clutch cable replacement, and I'm trying to replace it with the OEM version, but having a hell of a time routing it correctly. Two questions right off the bat, for those of you who have done this before:

Did you need to pull the airbox to get it between that and the frame?

Did you run it through from the lever end down, or the clutch end up?

Any tricks to making this work are much appreciated. I feel like i feed it part way, and it gets jammed on some invisible part of the bike every time.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You do have to remove the air box to access a plastic clip that's INSIDE THE LEFT side of the FRAME and holds the cable.

I would start at the TOP (feed downwards) as the bottom isn't quite as curved leaving the handle bars for last.

As a side note, I cut that plastic retainer off years ago (its really not necessary as the cables not going anywhere).
I have pulled my cable out far enough (tank still on, air box still on) just to get to the middle adjuster and open as necessary.

Route the cable and adjust the mid adjuster before buttoning up. I like to have 3 full turns OUT adjustment at the bars so I can
disconnect the cable for occasional lubing... Make sure the mid adjuster takes up the rest of the play.

And lube it BEFORE you install it.. 22,000 miles + on the original cable so far...