Cold Hands Dilema !!!

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
I once test drove a BMW K1200RS. It had heated grips and I swore I would never own another bike without them. Checkout this site. I installed a kit just like these but made by Kimpex on my 07 FZ6. I used the stock grips with them and they are discrete and work very well. I was skeptical of this cheap alternative at first but I soon realized that they work great.

I do not buy into the macho BS surrounding heated grips. It is comfortable and SAFE. Your reaction time is slowed down when your hands are cold.

I ride in temperatures approaching zero degrees with my regular gloves so these things are a life saver.

Heated Grip Kit

Now that's what I'm talking about !!!!! Thank you Thank you Thank you !!!

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
And thanks to everyone else for some fantastic info !!!!!

Been on a few 600RR forums and it'd probably take 6 months to get this kind of response !!!!

Dennis start a new one for the RR lol :thumbup:

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Fitted 2008 Oxford heated grips to mine last week (took some photos, going to do a write up when I get time) they are EPIC.

Got them off e-bay for 38 quid, took a couple of hours to fit (a lot of which was me pissing about).

They are a bit obvious. But I know your work, you would do it nice & tidy. That makes all the diference.

Haven't tried it myself, but an old boy I was chatting to the other week swore blind that latex gloves under riding gloves was the solution to cold hands.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great tips from everyone thanks, I too am looking into a solution for next winter. My old (6 years old) gloves have slowly been getting worse, they used to be waterproof but now they start letting the wet in after aprox 30 mins of riding in the rain. They are slowly becoming colder (I think the liner is getting worse through wear and wet). Well I think that the worse of the winter is over now (the freezing weather anyway) so I'm looking for a solution for next winter. I'm thinking of going with heated grips but I haven't made my mind up yet.

I have heard/read that with heated grips you can best use slightly thinner gloves (on the palms in any case) so that the heat comes through (well that's what BMW says). what do the people with heated grips find, does this make a big difference?

I am also debating heated gloves but I just don't like the cables, it will also cost more time getting ready before I leave in the morning (wiring up).

Personally I find the muffs a bit wierd looking, I never thought I would say this but I must be getting vain in my old age. Just a quick question for those with muffs, can you remove them quickly?

I definately don't like the idea of over-gloves as I think I will loose feeling with the controls.

Once again thanks for all the tips :thumbup:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i use my winter snowmobile gloves with the heated grips on the wifes bike and I actually like it better with the thicker gloves. They take a few more seconds to warm up but when they do they retain the heat a bit longer.

YamaSpeed

Dartmouth Ambassador
Reaction score
Visit site
I find the heated grips keep my hands comfortable with thin gloves however on long rides in cold weather I find that my finger tips start to get cold but I am willing to live with that because I like the thinner gloves.

I guess this would depend on how exposed your hands are to the wind. On the 07 the grips work good.

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
I really want to try the Dual Star Heated grip kit but I can't find anywhere that will let me order them online !! :(

I don't want to phone the company direct because phoning the States would probably be more expensive than buying the grips !!!

Anyone got any ideas ??? Know of anywhere I can order online ???

I would happily pay for cost and shipping and transfer funds via paypal If someone over the pond could help me out :)

Thanks in advance Mr Blue hands !!!!! :thumbup:

YamaSpeed

Dartmouth Ambassador
Reaction score
Visit site
I will call the local dealers here in Halifax NS, Canada and see if they have a set tomorrow. If they have them I will have no problem helping you out. If they do not have them and I have to order them than you are better off getting someone from the states to help you as you will save a lot on shipping.

I will PM you with the results.

YamaSpeed

Dartmouth Ambassador
Reaction score
Visit site
I will call the local dealers here in Halifax NS, Canada and see if they have a set tomorrow. If they have them I will have no problem helping you out. If they do not have them and I have to order them than you are better off getting someone from the states to help you as you will save a lot on shipping.

Let me know if you want me to check this out for you

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site

Thank you Yam .... Grommitt has rescued me once again and found a UK supplier !!!!

Thanks anyhow :)

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
- Gene Hunt: I think you've forgotten who you're talking to.
Sam Tyler: An overweight, over-the-hill, nicotine-stained, borderline-alcoholic homophobe with a superiority complex and an unhealthy obsession with male bonding?
Gene Hunt: You make that sound like a bad thing.

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Ordered my set of Symtec Heater elements ... Also ordered some Renthal race grips for them to go under :)

Renthal was my choice because apparently they're quite thin yet still very sticky when warm;)

I'll try and get a write up done in the How to section .... I know I don't have an FZ6 anymore but I should imagine It'll benefit a few of you old wrinklies with circulation as bad as mine !!! :thumbup:

:Sport:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
mittens over gloves? how the hell do you drive? I can barely snopwboard with my winter mittens much less shift!

Its a very thin nylon looking mitten and big enough to get your hands in.

They are waterproof and as you know wet and cold is a real killer.

Steve

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
I KNOW THIS IS NOT ON AN FZ6 BUT I THOUGHT YOU WOULD STILL BENEFIT :)

Got my Symtec Heater elements fitted under some medium compound Renthals today!!!

They are HOT !!!!! :rockon:

No more dead hands:thumbup:

Here's what I bought ....

grips.jpg

Here's where I mounted my heater switch ... HIGH/OFF/LOW (HIGH is 'kin hot !)

heaterbutton.jpg

And here's my lovely Renthal grips :)

renthalls.jpg

I chose the renthals as they are quite a thin grip ... heat gets through them to my hands really good ...

I'm a happy bear and I no longer have to do this ----> :Flip: to keep my hands warm ...

10/10 to Symtec I can recommend them and a big thank you to Grommit for the link :thumbup:

Last edited: