Cold Hands Dilema !!!

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
The United Kingdom is currently witnessing a freak storm that is battering our tiny Island !!!!!

Anyhow I was caught out in it today because my bike needed some TLC from experts down the garage ... shame the garage was 50 miles away !!! ..... when I returned after being blown from one side of the road to the other for miles and miles :rant: and sodden to the skin !! My hands were like blocks of ice !!!!

This is one of many times that my hands have suffered like this, does everyone else suffer the same !!??

How do you overcome it other than heated grips ????? I really don't want to go down that route but unfortunatley its looking like the only solution !!

Any advice ????

Thanks JC

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Muffs

Motrax Handlebar Muffs

You can take 'em off when your mates come round.

Thats just what I need !! sod how they look .... Been on too many rides spoilt by bloody cold hands !!

Just out of interest are there any discrete heated grips on the market with nice grips ?? The ones I've seen look as though they belong on a 1957 BSA ;)
I'm so shallow !!

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Jonac, I have this trouble all the time. I work and live partly in the UK but go home to the republic every weekend...a 100 mile drive...and ireland is not renouned for its tropical climate!! :p

I've got heated grips, winter gloves and muffs. Although they look horrible the muffs are a lifesaver...literally!!

Get heated grips...they are a must in our weather expecially if you are riding in the rain like I do all the time. The back of your hands will still get cold so the muffs will take care of that!

I have the oxford muffs with nice comfy inner lining and the new digital oxford heated grips. I SWEAR by them...saved my life when my fingers were able to work the controls at the crutial times!!

You may also consider getting heated gloves, or even inner gloves that slip inside your motorcycle gloves (like thermal clothing!)

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
saved my life when my fingers were able to work the controls at the crutial times!!

Funny you should mention that .... I couldn't feel the clutch or the brake properly by the time I arrived home !!!

I need to spend some hard earned cash !!!

Thanks mate :)

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same problem, but my ride is 8 miles and I just suck it up..but at -6C and at 50mph they freeze pretty quickly! Don't know what's the best winter glove. Here in the states, I weat the Tourmaster cold-tex, which was not expensive, but not great. I am not sure if I get the most expensive from Tour master if it'll be warmer. I think I'll wait until next season for that.
Dani

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have some goretex snowmobile gloves that keep my hands warm and they don't get wet inside until about 70 miles in the rain.

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
i have some goretex snowmobile gloves that keep my hands warm and they don't get wet inside until about 70 miles in the rain.

I did the same thing. Worked pretty good, and mine are rainproof. I have tried the tourmaster gloves but they feel so fluffy that I can't feel the controls well enough. These snowmobile gloves also have room in them for warmers, you can even find some with separate pockets just for the warmers.:thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The United Kingdom is currently witnessing a freak storm that is battering our tiny Island !!!!!

Anyhow I was caught out in it today because my bike needed some TLC from experts down the garage ... shame the garage was 50 miles away !!! ..... when I returned after being blown from one side of the road to the other for miles and miles :rant: and sodden to the skin !! My hands were like blocks of ice !!!!

This is one of many times that my hands have suffered like this, does everyone else suffer the same !!??

How do you overcome it other than heated grips ????? I really don't want to go down that route but unfortunatley its looking like the only solution !!

Any advice ????

Thanks JC
Buy the Claw gloves mate, good for 100+ miles. Hein Gericke £39.00. Bargin.
Those Muffs arent really the Muff you were looking to find on your bike are they now?

YamaSpeed

Dartmouth Ambassador
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats just what I need !! sod how they look .... Been on too many rides spoilt by bloody cold hands !!

Just out of interest are there any discrete heated grips on the market with nice grips ?? The ones I've seen look as though they belong on a 1957 BSA ;)
I'm so shallow !!

I once test drove a BMW K1200RS. It had heated grips and I swore I would never own another bike without them. Checkout this site. I installed a kit just like these but made by Kimpex on my 07 FZ6. I used the stock grips with them and they are discrete and work very well. I was skeptical of this cheap alternative at first but I soon realized that they work great.

I do not buy into the macho BS surrounding heated grips. It is comfortable and SAFE. Your reaction time is slowed down when your hands are cold.

I ride in temperatures approaching zero degrees with my regular gloves so these things are a life saver.

Heated Grip Kit

Beknatok

Reaction score
Visit site
I sometimes ride during Chicago's colder months (like nowadays) and use skiing gloves myself. The key I've found, is to make sure the gloves are windproof (as many winter gloves are not necessarily). There are silk-inner glove liners that are useful as well. After all, you know what they say about wearing layers in winter.

Those handlebar muffs look awesome... think I might try digging around State-side to see if I can find a vendor with 'em here.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For short term comfort, you can always place your glove/hand somwhere near the frame of the engine and warm it up that way. But again, you will be riding with one hand. Sometimes, you have to improvise given the situation you are in.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I live in denmark and it gets cold here. For those who ride in the winter a lot seem to like the hand muffs.

They are not pretty but they say they work well and keep your hands dry.

Those look good Jonac

Motrax Handlebar Muffs

Steve

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For the cold I stick a pair of liners inside the gloves I think they were Oxford but cant remember, and when the rain comes down I stick a pair of large surgical gloves over them. You could even swipe some gloves off the diesel pump at your local garage.

Works for me.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I once test drove a BMW K1200RS. It had heated grips and I swore I would never own another bike without them. Checkout this site. I installed a kit just like these but made by Kimpex on my 07 FZ6. I used the stock grips with them and they are discrete and work very well. I was skeptical of this cheap alternative at first but I soon realized that they work great.

I do not buy into the macho BS surrounding heated grips. It is comfortable and SAFE. Your reaction time is slowed down when your hands are cold.

I ride in temperatures approaching zero degrees with my regular gloves so these things are a life saver.

Heated Grip Kit

that kit is the way i would go on my next set, I installed the hot hands heated grips on the wifes bike and they seem hard and they are a pain in the a$$to keep regulated to the right temperature.

How did you use the stock grips? didn't you have to cut them off? I am thinking of some gel grips and when i do those i will be adding this type of heated grip.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hein Gerich actually make waterproof mittens that go over your leather gloves.

They make a similar thing to go over your boots.

Steve

YamaSpeed

Dartmouth Ambassador
Reaction score
Visit site
that kit is the way i would go on my next set, I installed the hot hands heated grips on the wifes bike and they seem hard and they are a pain in the a$ keep regulated to the right temperature.

How did you use the stock grips? didn't you have to cut them off? I am thinking of some gel grips and when i do those i will be adding this type of heated grip.

No. You don't have to cut them off. You find yourself a heat gun and heat them up. The glue used is designed to let go at a certain temperature. I think it is somewhere around 70 degrees C. Once the glue lets go you have to twist them off which is a bit off work but you can do it without damaging them if you take your time.

when you put the grips back make sure you use hand grip glue. NOT EPOXY. If you use anything other that hand grip glue you will make future grip jobs hell. I picked up a small tube of grip glue from the local bike shop.

A note: if you do not want to hack into your wiring harness use an "add a circuit" fuse holder to the tail light fuse position. Run the wire up to the switch and make a two way split for the ground connector on the horn. this is how I did it as I don't like the idea of hacking a brand new harness.

hope this helps.