convince me

SLIK4

Reaction score
Visit site
hi everyone! i just joined the forum but have been looking around for awhile now and really enjoy it. :) now about the thread...i don't have a bike yet but am really wanting an fz6. i am also looking at the Kawasaki er6-n. its still a really close call as too which one i will get. i just want some input from people that actually ride the fz6 and have experience on lots of different bikes as to why the fz6 should be chosen over the er6-n. btw this will be my first bike as well. thanks in advance for any responses :)

Last edited:
You don't drive bikes, you ride them. :D

FWIW, I don't think you should get either of these two bikes.

Is money an issue? B/C the FZ is likely going to be quite a bit cheaper to buy and own....ESPECIALLY if you buy a used FZ.

You don't drive bikes, you ride them. :D

FWIW, I don't think you should get either of these two bikes.

Is money an issue? B/C the FZ is likely going to be quite a bit cheaper to buy and own....ESPECIALLY if you buy a used FZ.

I drive mine.. or least operate it. "Riding" is too passive a word.

But, to get back on point here, I think the FZ6 has the potential to be a great first bike. It really depends on the individual's maturity level. A mid-weight, mid-power bike like this demands respect, but if operated with care it's not (in my humble opinion) dangerous for a beginner. Most will disagree.

I haven't ridden that particular Kaw, but I have ridden many different bikes. My XT225 is no less dangerous than than my FZ6. Sure it has a lot less power than the Fazer, but the power isn't what's going to get you. There are countless risk factors. Power is just one of them.

To answer the question though, the FZ6 is the ultimate Swiss Army Knife of bikes. It's cliche to say that at this point, but it's true. It's a serious machine, yet it's tame enough to learn on. And it's very reliable with very little maintenance.

I agree with Defy - go used. It's likely just as good as new, but it's cheaper and it will lose very little (if any) value over next few years.

Lastly, I just looked at pics of the '09 ER6-N. This is just a matter of opinion of course, but damn... it's not exactly a looker, is it? (That's a completely unfair statement - I love ugly bikes.)
er-6n-2009-kawasaki%5B1%5D.jpg

caveat: PUI

If you're set on either of these, just get the one that feels most comfortable when you sit on it for 10 minutes and tickles your fancy the most. Unless you want to tell us more about the riding you like to do...oh yeah, you're not sure yet!

And by the way :welcome: and good luck. :thumbup:

I drive mine.. or least operate it. "Riding" is too passive a word.

nah, dude, you RIDE. Wanna argue about it? ;)

But, to get back on point here, I think the FZ6 has the potential to be a great first bike. It really depends on the individual's maturity level. A mid-weight, mid-power bike like this demands respect, but if operated with care it's not (in my humble opinion) dangerous for a beginner. Most will disagree.

You can debate that all day long but it's still only part of the picture, IMO.

Nonetheless, a brand spanking new, 450+ pound wet, 90+ horse, top heavy, I4, mistake masking, mistake amplifying, 2nd gen FZ6 definitely isn't the WORST bike to start with.

nah, dude, you RIDE. Wanna argue about it? ;)
No, I don't have it in me. And really, I'm a big steaming pile of contradictions. I almost always use the term "ride" to describe what I do on my bike.

Nonetheless, a brand spanking new, 450+ pound wet, 90+ horse, top heavy, I4, mistake masking, mistake amplifying, 2nd gen FZ6 definitely isn't the WORST bike to start with.
Well said. And it got me thinking. There really are countless bikes out there that are better for the beginner. The FZ6 surely isn't the WORST. Nor is it the best (for this application.)

I'm not too familiar with the Kaw. Seems that most people think the build quality is better on the FZ6.

The key things about the FZ6 are:
* Upright riding position. Can pass as a tourer.
* mild mannered at low rpms makes for smooth relaxed riding, while also being a true sport bike above 8k rpm. You get two for the price of one. You won't accidently transition into sport bike mode, so the possibility is minimal of accidental wheelers or lurchy moves if you're not that smooth on the throttle
* Good feature set of the $. Center stand, full instrument cluster, gas guage.

i would def go with the fz. I know a couple people with the kawi and in my opinion it just isn't made as well. Its definitely slower, and there is no windscreen for long rides.(not that the fz has very good wind characteristics).
As for a starter bike, it was my first bike and had no problems at all. Once you get used to the weight when taking off and coming to a stop and low speed maneuvers, then there will not be a problem. It doesn't have much power below 8k and is very easy to ride.

It's all personal preference.
I think the FZ6 is much better looking than the Kawasaki. The seat and riding position is a lot more comfortable. I had a good look around before settling on the FZ6 - nothing came close in the same price bracket.

I learnt to ride on a Honda CBF250 and as soon as I got my licence bought the FZ6. It is SOOO much fun to ride - fast, comfortable - great for city commuting or long rides.

My husband has a Yamaha XJR 1300 and tomorrow is also buying a Triumph Speed Triple 1050. Whilst he says my bike is a little too small for him, he admits that it is a zippy bike and looks great (he does occasionally steal it from me to ride to work!).

Good luck with your decision.

:thumbup:

I went back and forth between the ER6-N and the FZ6 as well. In the end, I liked the seating position, wind protection, and maturity of the FZ. I would have been looking for my next bike already had I purchased teh ER6. The FZ6 is super-fast, extremely smooth, and rides like a dream. The ER6-N was clunkier with the shifting, slower, and I always felt like I was going to fall over the front of it. Just my opinion. You'll enjoy either one, I'm sure.

I went back and forth between the ER6-N and the FZ6 as well. In the end, I liked the seating position, wind protection, and maturity of the FZ. I would have been looking for my next bike already had I purchased teh ER6. The FZ6 is super-fast, extremely smooth, and rides like a dream. The ER6-N was clunkier with the shifting, slower, and I always felt like I was going to fall over the front of it. Just my opinion. You'll enjoy either one, I'm sure.

I have to agree. I had my heart set on an ER6N until I started riding them. In my opinion, the ER6N felt cheap and uninspiring not to mention sounding like a crappy fourstroke trailbike with the inline twin. The FZ is so much more bike and I can also definitely say that I would have outgrown the ER6 within 6 months if I went that way. The FZ covers all bases as a great commuter, something that can mix it in the mountains and also able to eat up kilometres on the highway without problem. Yamaha quality, finish and reliability are also non disputed. I dont know whether you intend to have a pillion or not but the FZ6 is about as good as it gets for pillions with a nice comfy seat that doesnt look like an after thought.

Have ridden the ER6N a couple of times and actually bought a Kawi Versys with the same basic engine as my first bike. There are a few minor issues with the Kawi's that aren't present with the FZ6. I sold the Versys after 3 weeks and a few hundred miles. If you want to read a fair assessment of the ER6n's pros and cons, google "gladius versus er6n", where the suzuki and Kawi were compared.

Ultimately when I was looking in that price range, the FZ6 stuck out as a great all 'rounder with an excellent mechanical/reliability reputation and alot of aftermarket options to take it to tourer, track bike, or whatever you like.

Good luck.

sorry didn't mean to leave everyone else out. thank you to all of you as well for your input. it's just made me want the fz6 that much more knowing i have an excellent forum with good people to help me with any ?s i might have.

sorry didn't mean to leave everyone else out. thank you to all of you as well for your input. it's just made me want the fz6 that much more knowing i have an excellent forum with good people to help me with any ?s i might have.

Oh yeah. That's am excellent point, and one that not many of us would think to mention. This forum is another big plus for buying the Fizz. It's one hell of a support group.

(btw - even if you were to buy the kaw, this forum would still be a fantastic resource for you.)

hey i had an oppertunity to ride with one this year well the 650r with the fairings. but
it had a small gas tank only about 110mile range compaired to the fz6 i can push 200 miles on a completly full tank.

Back