Corbin Seat or Scorpion Exhaust?

nlheikki

2009 Buell XB12Scg
Reaction score
Visit site
I know this is a strange question, but both are pretty expensive upgrades. The sound of the stock exhaust sounds like a sewing machine and the stock seat makes my arse go numb after 1.5 to 2 hours.

What's a better purchase?

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ehhh is that like comparing apples to oranges? I think you will find the scorpion exhausts easier to appreciate. I've heard from many here that Scorpions are an excellent upgrade. On the other hand I have not heard many reviews about more comfortable seats... Good luck mate! Perhaps you can start on exhaust and then work up to the seat?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, here is my attempt at an intellegent post tonight...

If the only reason that you are looking for an exhaust is that you don't like the sound then think of it like this. Who cares how it sounds if you can't stand to ride it... make the bike enjoyable to ride before making power/sound/ aesthetic adjustments to it. I would vote that if it comes down to the two right now do the seat as it will make you want to RIDE the bike and do the exhaust later when you find a few extra $'s again...

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
And I'm going to post the opposite view... :p
I read somewhere that OEM seats were designed to fit the majority of the population. Makes sense.
The same article said that aftermarket seatmakers strive for the same goal: a seat that fits the majority of the, erm, seats!
So, just maybe, unless you have a seat custom-made for your own tuckus (and they're out there), the exhaust may be a better buy.

Personally, I find the stock seat just fine. Now if the airlines would just give me 1.5" more legroom in Coach... :mad:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Not much fun owning a bike that isn't fun after 2 hours.
Have you sat on a Corbin? Mighty firm seat, customer service isn't always the best. Having said that, a good seat is well worth the $$. Does Sargent make a seat for the FZ6?

W

wrightme43

The customer service sucks monkey butt. I have tried to buy one from them since mid 07. I finally found a used one on here, its on the way to my house now. I will review it when it gets here compared to the comfort seat. The stock seat burned in the house.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There are a lot of reviews on the Corbin seat if you look for them.

Quite a few are sold on E Bay in Europe.

The general opinion is that they slope too much to the front of the bike pushing both the rider and the passengetr forward. I have never been on one, I am just reporting what I have read.

The best thing is to find other people on here who have the Corbin on their bike.

Bagster is another seat you should look into, they look great but again I have not been on one.

Steve

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Fred had a custom seat made, not sure of the MFG. You send a tracing of your toosh in so they can make it specifically for you. He seems to really like it. If you want to go on long rides I guess the seat is most important.

You could always drill out the muffler for now until you can get the exhaust.

rgatling

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the seat and drilling out the stock cans.

IMHO, it's no contest--get the seat. As much as I like aftermarket exhausts, about all you can get for the FZ6 is slip-ons, and they do basically nothing but make it sound better, maybe look better at the tail.

I'd rather put money into suspension or in this case, the seat. YMMV...

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorps!!!

Even though it does depend on that type of riding you do... long trips? def seat... mostly commute and day trips? Scorps!! :thumbup:

nlheikki

2009 Buell XB12Scg
Reaction score
Visit site
The rest of us are Intrigued...

I was sent a link to a cheap corbin seat.........but, I have to say that I ordered the Scorpions today and they should be here by the weekend. I will post some pictures once I'm done with the install.

mg8

Reaction score
Visit site
Strangely enough - I was asking the same question about my 2005 FZ6. I did the corbin seat and I think it was a great upgrade. Much more comortable and a better riding "feel". No numbness either. The spring upgrades were:

Corbin seat, Galfer brake lines, racetech cartridge emulators with higher weight springs (.85), superbrace fork brace and amsoil synthetic enigine oil.

Summary - the bike performes better in all categories, I am 155lbs and like a pretty stiff front end ( I had a second trip to the dealer for more preload).

The Superbrace is a fantastic investment ($139). I have much more confidence in a hard braking corner.

250 miles so far and I am very glad to have made these purchases. Would love the Scorpion but I think it is too loud for my style. Getting old:rockon:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Strangely enough - I was asking the same question about my 2005 FZ6. I did the corbin seat and I think it was a great upgrade. Much more comortable and a better riding "feel". No numbness either. The spring upgrades were:

Corbin seat, Galfer brake lines, racetech cartridge emulators with higher weight springs (.85), superbrace fork brace and amsoil synthetic enigine oil.

Summary - the bike performes better in all categories, I am 155lbs and like a pretty stiff front end ( I had a second trip to the dealer for more preload).

The Superbrace is a fantastic investment ($139). I have much more confidence in a hard braking corner.

250 miles so far and I am very glad to have made these purchases. Would love the Scorpion but I think it is too loud for my style. Getting old:rockon:

Hey mg8 - Good call on the fork. I've eyeballed the fork brace, all of my other bikes have had them (older ones, skinny fork legs) but I wasn't sure about the FZ with the 43mm legs. I've got the .90 RTs and love them, Galfers too. Emulators to come soon, got a couple of other mods in process first.

Thanks!