Cracked Gen 2 Speedometer screen

cca310

Reaction score
Visit site
I dropped my bike in my garage and it managed to crack the screen. Do I have to get a new speedometer?

I've tried researching it, but I cannot figure out if the screen can just be replaced.

gFeuR4N.jpg

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I dropped my bike in my garage and it managed to crack the screen. Do I have to get a new speedometer?

I've tried researching it, but I cannot figure out if the screen can just be replaced.

View attachment 69172

Ouch, sorry to hear that. Ultimately it looks like it will need to be replaced, or at least the part pulled from a working spedometer.

I looked at the speedometer, it does look serviceable. However I cannot find just the LCD for sale, even worse I do not see a working (used) spedometer for sale. The parts web site I use doesn't even have it listed. Might need to snipe eBay, unfortunately it probably wont be cheap. Broken ones are going for $200.

Capture.PNG

cca310

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with you about the screen. I cannot source just the screen anywhere. I took it apart and the screen has 36 very small pins soldered onto the circuit board. I generally don't mess with small electronics because they're so easy to break.

My local Yamaha dealer wanted $600. No way am I going to pay that. I suppose I'll keep browsing online for a used speedo.

Thanks for your reply.

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with you about the screen. I cannot source just the screen anywhere. I took it apart and the screen has 36 very small pins soldered onto the circuit board. I generally don't mess with small electronics because they're so easy to break.

My local Yamaha dealer wanted $600. No way am I going to pay that. I suppose I'll keep browsing online for a used speedo.

Thanks for your reply.

Any luck with this? I looked into it a bit more. You may be able to order a FZ6R spedo and swap the LCD from that. They look identical on the outside. I'm guessing they are compatible.

- Buy a used FZ6R Speedometer that has a return policy. Disassemble it if you feel you are up to it
- Take it to a cell phone or computer repair shop (these guys solder a lot) - Have them see if they can swap it. Most places shouldn't charge you for this just to check. The service shouldn't be more than $50

Might be able to get this fixed for under $200 - If you cannot find a repair shop I can solder very well, I'd be happy to give it a shot, may be able to test it too with my FZ6 :)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have good soldering skills I have had two of the LCDs off the PCBA to clean and make repairs (other forum members from this site), and its not that bad.

That said I think the R speedo is different. An FZ1 of our era may be possible tho.

PS these are assembled with lead free solder so a typical tin/lead solder and solder tip will not be friendly for this level of rework/repair.