Custom bag supports for Nelson Rigg throwover bags

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
So, after finding that my Nelson Rigg Saddlebags occasionally have hit the tire (presumably while riding two up and hitting a nasy bump) I decided that I needed to create a set of saddlebag standoff supports to keep the bags standing straight.

I used alumiunum from a Harley Davidson shipping crate (yes the crates they ship motorcycles in) to build the whole support.

I cut a 48" piece about 3" wide out of the aluminum and rolled the edges and flattened it until it was 48" by 1.5".

I then measured 15" in from each end and marked that to give me 18" in exactly the center. Next, I measured 6" out from each of the 15" marks to build the sides, that left 9" on each end.

I used a bench vise and my bare hands to do all the bends and formed a rectangle that is 18"x6".

Next I overlapped the 9" sections by about 1.5"-2" and rivetted it together to give the box a slightly more aerodynamic shape.

Finally I cut brackets out of the 90 degree bends of the crate edges to mount the standoff under the tail of the FZ6.

All in all, I think it will work pretty well but haven't installed it yet because I am waiting on the rubberized undercoat paintjob to dry and it is supposed to be stormy here today anyhow, so the bike stayed home.

Here's pics of the finished product before and during paint.

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I've wrestled with the same issue on my bags. Under load they tend to sag and come close to the wheel.

I'm still not clear how your bracket will be installed/mounted.

Matthew

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've wrestled with the same issue on my bags. Under load they tend to sag and come close to the wheel.

Matthew

I am intrigued by this setup, i am probably going to just slide some PVC piping on the rear passenger pegs to give mine support...

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Denver_FZ6 said:

Matthew

I am going to mount it to the four 4mm allen bolts that are under the tail. I will have more pics later.

I am intrigued by this setup, i am probably going to just slide some PVC piping on the rear passenger pegs to give mine support...

My wife wouldn't like it too much if the bags were over my rear pegs.... I have my bags slid back to where the back strap goes just above the tail light and the front strap is under the seat. Works like a charm!

Se7enLC

Nerd
Reaction score
Visit site
My wife wouldn't like it too much if the bags were over my rear pegs.... I have my bags slid back to where the back strap goes just above the tail light and the front strap is under the seat. Works like a charm!

That's just where I have mine (and for the same reason - keeping the passenger footpegs open). I have a pair of Cortech Sport saddlebags hanging on Givi soft saddlebag racks. As shipped, the saddlebag racks touched the stock blinkers. They come with a spacer, but not a bolt long enough to work with it, so bolts had to be procured to make it work properly

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I am able to get both staps under the seat of my bike which allows my g/f to use the rear pegs.

I have the givi rack mounted up on mine and I took a piece of 1inch PVC and cut it down to, two 6 inch peices and zip tied the pipe to the mounts on the givi rack. Works like a charm.

You idea should work fine. I would just be worried about clearance issues with swingarm travel. That and you are cursing your bike by putting Harely Davidson material on it....

-bryan

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
bad pics but here is my bracket mounted. I had to cut out the piece between the front mounts to keep the bracket out of the hugger.

I need to straighten out the bags a bit, but this should do the trick and the best part.... it was FREE!!!

oh.... and the bracket isn't bent, it's the weird angle of the shots.

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I considered a similar design using the same mounts, but felt the rear bracket mount (closest to taillight) could rub the tire under full suspension compression.

It appears to me the area above the rear wheel is designed so the fender/tire will almost touch it during full compression. For example the small storage area under the seat which protrudes into the wheel well has a corresponding recess in the fender, and the factory bracket (which you're using as your brackets rear mount) has a "U" shape which allows the fender to travel upward to the seat.

I'm not sure how much this is a risk, but something to consider.

Matthew

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
i have my rear preload maxed out and basically jumped up and down on the pillion seat and it never hit. i will keep an eye on it though.

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I considered a similar design using the same mounts, but felt the rear bracket mount (closest to taillight) could rub the tire under full suspension compression.

It appears to me the area above the rear wheel is designed so the fender/tire will almost touch it during full compression. For example the small storage area under the seat which protrudes into the wheel well has a corresponding recess in the fender, and the factory bracket (which you're using as your brackets rear mount) has a "U" shape which allows the fender to travel upward to the seat.

I'm not sure how much this is a risk, but something to consider.

Matthew

ok so I didn't want to deal with worrying my bracket would hit the tire.... so I modified it again.

Here's the new design as it is ready to install and going on the bike.

The back of the bracket is behind the factory metal undertail so it can't hit now! :rockon:

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
much easier and cheaper and quite easy....

Take a 2 foot length of PVC .... about 1.5 inches in diameter cut it in half

spray paint black.... then when you are ready to place your saddle bags on your bike... slide the PVC pipes over the passenger foot pegs and VIOLA

the bags are held away from the tires

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
I have the NR CL-900 bags. Fully loaded, here they are as much as I got a good picture from this weekend...as you can see, I did some canyons fully loaded and had no problems with clearance. As is also visible, I have the straps going under the seat, the front one is in front and over the rear grab bars and the rear is basically in the middle of the middle hold for the grab bars.

I have the front clips attached to the bars holding the passenger foot pegs and the rear goes under the tail to connect to each other to hold em down.

I went 2-up with my gf and some other girls as well and they said they had ample space to put their heel up to the middle of their arch on the pegs if they pushed back on the bags and once sitting, their feet didn't budge. If it looks like the bags are right behind the pegs, try sitting on it yourself before saying it won't work...they're soft bags and I made it work

That's just my experience. I love the bags...don't know how I didn't have these a LONG time ago!

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
much easier and cheaper and quite easy....

Take a 2 foot length of PVC .... about 1.5 inches in diameter cut it in half

spray paint black.... then when you are ready to place your saddle bags on your bike... slide the PVC pipes over the passenger foot pegs and VIOLA

the bags are held away from the tires

yeah.... but my passenger needs my passenger pegs. Plus, my bracket looks sooooo good :thumbup:

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I have the NR CL-900 bags. Fully loaded, here they are as much as I got a good picture from this weekend...as you can see, I did some canyons fully loaded and had no problems with clearance. As is also visible, I have the straps going under the seat, the front one is in front and over the rear grab bars and the rear is basically in the middle of the middle hold for the grab bars.

I have the front clips attached to the bars holding the passenger foot pegs and the rear goes under the tail to connect to each other to hold em down.

I went 2-up with my gf and some other girls as well and they said they had ample space to put their heel up to the middle of their arch on the pegs if they pushed back on the bags and once sitting, their feet didn't budge. If it looks like the bags are right behind the pegs, try sitting on it yourself before saying it won't work...they're soft bags and I made it work

That's just my experience. I love the bags...don't know how I didn't have these a LONG time ago!

I did try putting my bags on that way, but they were too far forward for my wife's comfort. Besides, the week I got them we did over 1,000 miles two up. :Sport:

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
I did try putting my bags on that way, but they were too far forward for my wife's comfort. Besides, the week I got them we did over 1,000 miles two up. :Sport:

Congrats on the 2-up 1/2 Iron Butt!!!

I only did 800 miles Moto GP weekend, with only about 100 of those 2-up. Comfortable for shorter distances I guess, but I wouldn't know about 2-up for such a long distance.