Custom undertail, FE, and chain guard (lots of images)

nnowatzk

Reaction score
Visit site
Here’s the undertail and fender eliminator that I proposed in a previous thread

Nothing too fancy, but after a few hundred miles it seems to be working just fine. I haven’t washed the bike since installation, but the underside of the tail will definitely be a lot easier to clean up, and the chain guard is easy to remove and clean too. It remains to be seen how well the powder coat will hold up, especially when riding on gravel.

Materials and cost:
16 GA steel sheet: $20.00
¼” x 1” aluminum: $2.50
Nuts/bolts/washers: $10.00
Powder coating: $60.00

Tools:
5” bench vise, jig saw, hack saw, hammer, drill, clamps, and some files. Pretty rudimentary stuff, and not ideal for fabrication like this. A drill press and a metal brake would have helped a lot.

I’m not sure how detailed to get here, so I’ll let the photos do the talking and answer specific questions as they come up.

Just to help figure out the general size and shape of the undertail, I started with a rough cardboard mockup that I could bolt into place:
0004.jpg

Starting with a sheet of steel cut to the right width, plenty of length, and tabs that match up with the passenger peg brackets:
0003.jpg

Trimming and bending to match sub frame, cut an arc for shock clearance, and marked holes for bolting to the brackets:
0011.jpg

More trimming and bending, first holes drilled:
0012.jpg

First complete test fitting with all eight bolts in place:
0016.jpg

Made a card stock template for the FE, using the FAZR6 kit design as inspiration:
0042.jpg

Finished fabricating the undertail, FE, and two aluminum blocks to give a more finished look where the passenger pegs used to be:
0024.jpg

Parts in place for a few days of test riding. Everything seems to be OK!
0039.jpg

Bent, cut, and bolted a new chain guard into place for some testing.
0067.jpg

Everything powder coated (except the nuts and washers, which I just spray painted black). Great work by Mike at ProTec in Grand Forks ND:
0041.jpg

Part 2 below…

nnowatzk

Reaction score
Visit site
Here’s a look at the assembly and a summary of the hardware used:
hardware.jpg

Assembling and running wires. Instead of using the stock plastic retainer plate, I just zip-tied the wires using the two slots in the sub frame:
0042-2.jpg
0043.jpg
0048.jpg

All done!
0058.jpg

0059.jpg

0060.jpg

0062.jpg

I’m happy with how it all turned out. For folks with an ’06 or earlier, I think the undertail could have extensions that reach forward, attaching to where the sub frame bolts to the main frame. Hard to say without trying it on an actual bike.

Thanks for looking! Custom radiator guard is in progress, I’ll post that project too when it’s done.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
I'll just jump in with all the rest ...

Beautiful! Excellent workmanship, looks GREAT, done really well.

One of the first mods i've seen i would go out and buy!

peace :thumbup:

nnowatzk

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everybody!

Just wondering does the seat get hot without the airflow around the pipe?
I haven't noticed any heat, but it hasn't gotten above 70°F here yet.

Would you consider making more if there was enough interest?
Sorry, I have too many irons in the fire. If I don't finish painting the house this summer I'll be in trouble! I can post more details about making the blanking plates if anyone's interested in making their own.

Out of curiosity, How did you make this assembly drawing?
Photoshop! Started with photos of the bike before and after installation and drew the line art on top.