Cutting and splicing the Headlight Cord

CountryBoy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all.

I'm importing a British bike into Europe, so I need to change the headlamp around. I'm looking online for one and so far have found a few (pricy) options. One thing that really rattled me though, was that I also need to change the Headlight Cord (part 10 in the attached diagram). This wasnt a problem until I found them in the €150-€200 range! :eek:

So my question is this, how difficult would it be to cut and splice the one I have and swap the cables around? (See arrows in the attached diagram). Would it simply be cutting the end off or are there different wires going into each connector (would make sense).

I've considered a naked mod and a HID nod, but for the people at the import office, having it as close to stock as possible is a good idea. Otherwise who knows what problems they will throw up!

Thanks for your help.

CB

Last edited by a moderator:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for editing your post but we're not allowed to post copy write material on the forum.

You only need to swap the hi and lo beam wires. The ground wires (black) don't need to be changed. The low beam wire is black with a green tracer and the high beam is the black with a yellow tracer. How ever you do it they just need to be swapped. :)

CountryBoy

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry about that, thanks for pointing it out.

And thanks for the explanation! One more question, would both wires go onto both sides of the harness or would I need to cut open the entire harness and cross them over (the high and low beam wires)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
All depending on how handy you or a friend are at wiring I would just get new flag connectors and run extension wires to swap the hi and lo beam wire. Solder and heat shrink insulation on the wires. Then wrap them with electrical tape into the existing harness. You should be able to get an H4 plug from any auto parts store and remove the flag connector to use on your sockets.

Good luck! :)