CVN-65 Decommissioning 1 Dec 2012

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I served on board the enterprise as ship's company, from 1980-1983. She's on her last deployment now, and will return to be taken out of service in. 50 years and who knows how many miles steaming in war and peaceful times.

I visited Perth, Sasebo, Mombassa, Diego Garcia, Singapore, Hawaii, Subic bay during my time on board. Rode the ship from Bremerton, WA to San Francisco with all of the ship's dependants on board, as well as all of their cars parked on the flight deck and hangar deck.

Saw an air power demonstration for visiting dignitaries that involved a supersonic fighter flyby so close to the ship it popped a window out of a helicopter, and the dropping of full loads of 500, 1,000 and 2,000 lb bombs by A-6 Intruders.

From a couple of miles away, you could see the flash, and watch the shock wave racing across the water.... then feel it in your chest a few seconds later.

The ceremony is in Norfolk, Va if anyone is interested... 1 Dec 2012.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for your service!!! My uncle actually served on the USS Nimitz CVN-68 for over 15yrs and I went up to VA when he retired and checked out the ship then. He was even in that movie The Final Countdown too. You see them on tv but never realize just how massive they are until you see them in person!!! They really are floating fortified cities!!!

Once again thank you for your service!!!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for serving!

The Midway is retired here in San Diego and is now a museum ship. I was fortunate enough to get to work on some of the museum displays and was amazed at the feeling of one of these ships. It's like a floating city. Amazing team work to make these ships perform their tasks.
Respect!

sniff6

Be nice i am
Reaction score
Visit site
CNO wants faster decommissioning for Enterprise - Navy News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Navy Times

Down to 10 Flat tops, We have no flat tops or any aircraft carriers here in the UK.So if Argentina or any other country decided to Attack one of our islands .We would be stuffed

040509_navy_enterprise_800.JPG