Damaged Stator Cover - Effects?

v1perfan

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

I took a closer look at the stator cover a few days ago and it is very damaged - so damaged in fact that the lower-right corner of it has a chunk taken right out - if I get down on my knees I can see up into the housing for the stator (the lower-right bolt was also sheared off and the remainder is still in the socket).

When I called the Yamaha parts desk about it, they told me the motor bathes the stator in oil and are surprised that I am not leaking oil. Is that true? If that's the case, I would expect to see motor oil leaking out like a sieve.

In any event I am having a heck of a time trying to source a stator cover for my '88 - does anyone know of any place that might sell a new (or even used in good condition!) stator cover, gasket and the bolts to secure it to the motor?

Thanks.

Brian.

#7 on here? 1988 Yamaha FZ600U Parts, 1988 Yamaha FZ600U OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

And, I know my engine bathes the rotor and stator (which together make a generator/alternator) in oil. Can't say much about an 88.

EDIT: There's not usually a lot of oil in my alternator. Just a thin film on everything.

Actually I was wrong - it's not the generator cover - according to the link you fine gentlemen have given me it's the OIL PUMP cover that is damaged (I was lead to believe it was the stator). From what I see in the drawings, the stator (generator?) cover is the one with the fins on it and the oil pump cover is the one with "YAMAHA" stamped into it. It's the "Yamaha" cover that I need to replace.

In any event neither place listed in the links can supply it. So I'll have to do some further investigating.

Thanks guys for the help and the links.

*EDIT* - I will take a picture of the damage later on so that I can get a definitive answer as to what that "Yamaha" cover really is supposed to protect. I'm guessing that it having a gaping hole in it will not do my engine any good!

*EDIT 2* - I still see the ad for my bike is still on Kijiji (I guess the seller didn't take it off). So until I get a chance to get home and take a pic of it, here's the cover I am talking about that is damaged (it's in the red box).

myfz.jpg

Can anyone tell me exactly what this cover protects???

Last edited:
Back