Dead bettery after just one night !

Th3thre3

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, I am having a little trouble with my 2004 Fz6. I hadn't use the bike for over a month so I wasn't surprised that the battery was dead. After charging I went on the ride everything was fine. Then next day it died on me during a ride. No big deal I had bought a new battery fully charged drove the bike home everything was fine the bike felt good no issues. Four days letter, in the morning I was trying to start the bike and ....... nothing, battery dead again. I have taken it out putted in different one (fully charged) next morning it was dead too (about 5.8 V). I checked the Amps being drawn from the battery while the bike is off and it shows 0.13 A, when the key is in on position it shows 0.94 A.
I don't think that there is a problem with charging, because it tops the 14 V when the bike is running. My only trouble being besides dead batteries I have noticed that the red light that should be flashing while the bike is off and locked is not flashing anymore. Does that have to do anything with my battery problems?
I will gladly hear yours solutions or advices !
Many Thanks

p.s
I have already checked all the fuses and none of them is blown.

Archeon

Reaction score
Visit site
I am having some similar problems with my Fz6, ultimately if I ride it every day it is fine. If i leave it for 36-48 hours the battery dies.

It is going into a mechanics tomorrow for a full diagnostic, basically something is draining more power than it should.

Regards,

Simon

Edit - 0.13A seems a lot to be running at - that would mean in a 10AH battery (if my maths is correct) your battery would be completely empty after sitting idle for 76 hours - which isn't very long.

Last edited:

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
You could try selectively pulling fuses while monitoring the amps being pulled from the battery. If you pull a fuse and the amps drop, you know the problem is on that circuit.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If possible, pull the fuse for the immobilizer as both your bikes are European models. Its a common denominator in this instance.

I haven't read of any US versions (with stock running gear-no add on electrical goodies) drawing down the battery (we don't get the immobilizer here in the states)

Good luck and please post the results/fix.. :thumbup:

Th3thre3

Reaction score
Visit site
Could I get any clues where to look for immobilizer and does it have a separate fuse ? thanks a lot

Th3thre3

Reaction score
Visit site
Is the US version the one with the indicator relays in the front headlight insted of the back left hand side next to the seat ?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is the US version the one with the indicator relays in the front headlight insted of the back left hand side next to the seat ?

Nope, separate, stick out ugly stalks!

The outer space, in the headlight assembly, is also NOT utilized by Yamaha for anything in the US version..

Last edited:

Th3thre3

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I managed to reset the immobilizer using the red master key, :cool: HOWEVER I have now discovered that the stator is not charging my battery anymore what the heck ? :jawdrop: Has anyone ever had any problems with theirs stators before ?

Oh and by the way thank you all for your responses it had helped my tremendously so far.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I managed to reset the immobilizer using the red master key, :cool: HOWEVER I have now discovered that the stator is not charging my battery anymore what the heck ? :jawdrop: Has anyone ever had any problems with theirs stators before ?

Oh and by the way thank you all for your responses it had helped my tremendously so far.

There's a bunch of threads of stators failing. Its not uncommon. Do a search.

If you get stuck, PM Motogiro, he's the expert in electric's (IMHO)...

Here ya go to get started:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/gara...2-condensed-wtf-wrong-my-charging-system.html

Last edited: