Decided to Wear my Birthday Suit

Torq_Shep

Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up an 05 FZ6 for $700 with no front fairings and a crap ton of zip ties holding the headlight. Runs, shifts into all gears, needs a few things here and there, but overall not too bad. My goal is to keep the cost down on this project and daily this thing for a while. With that being said I am waiting on a CB919 headlight, NT650 headlight brackets, and a kickstand so that I can start on the streetfighter look. Here she is right now.
20180814_180808[1].jpg
20180814_180822[1].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Fixed the title for you unless you actually are naked with a secret decoder ring. Then I'll change it back, Lol! Decoded to Decided)

Oh yeah I've seen the FZ6 with that headlight. Looks pretty cool! I'll assume that lamp uses the dual filament H4 bulb for hi and lo beams. If that bike has not been set up for a BD43 or other headlight mod you will need to get that done so that when you use your hi beam the lo beam will shut off to prevent the H4 bulb from overheating. The faired FZ6 did not come wired for this because they use 2 different discrete lamps for hi and lo beam.

Torq_Shep

Reaction score
Visit site
Fixed the title for you unless you actually are naked with a secret decoder ring. Then I'll change it back, Lol! Decoded to Decided)

Oh yeah I've seen the FZ6 with that headlight. Looks pretty cool! I'll assume that lamp uses the dual filament H4 bulb for hi and lo beams. If that bike has not been set up for a BD43 or other headlight mod you will need to get that done so that when you use your hi beam the lo beam will shut off to prevent the H4 bulb from overheating. The faired FZ6 did not come wired for this because they use 2 different discrete lamps for hi and lo beam.

Thanks for the information. I wouldn't have even thought of that! Looks like parts show up next week!

The PO had an airhorn on this bike that I may re-install. However, I am thinking about running a delay relay so that the regular horn goes off for ~1 second before the air horn kicks on. Or maybe just leave it off entirely.

Still have no idea where I am going to mount the god awful speedo... Too cheap to replace it with something better...

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Contact LeaN69 via PM and see if he has any brackets remaining. I used one of his speedo brackets and was very happy (check my log in this folder). In my opinion it does require a support rod so the speedo doesn't bounce. I'll be making mine this winter when I have the bike painted.

jesse_sanders

Reaction score
Visit site

I had no idea there was a mod for this. So does the mod just splice the two plugs together so you can have one plug for high/low?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had no idea there was a mod for this. So does the mod just splice the two plugs together so you can have one plug for high/low?

No, it's not quite that easy. Doing just that, when you turn the HB on, the LB filament is ALSO ON. Besides drawing extra power, it shortens the life of the bulb considerably.

The "BD43" mod allows the stock harness to light up the normally OFF, RIGHT SIDE bulb on LB.

When the RIGHT HB is turned ON, the LB turns OFF, IE; ONLY ONE filament is on at a time in the right headlamp (It doesn't affect the left bulb at all)

jesse_sanders

Reaction score
Visit site
No, it's not quite that easy. Doing just that, when you turn the HB on, the LB filament is ALSO ON. Besides drawing extra power, it shortens the life of the bulb considerably.

The "BD43" mod allows the stock harness to light up the normally OFF, RIGHT SIDE bulb on LB.

When the RIGHT HB is turned ON, the LB turns OFF, IE; ONLY ONE filament is on at a time in the right headlamp (It doesn't affect the left bulb at all)
Sounds pretty involved... I'll continue to ride around with the dimmest high beam in existence.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds pretty involved... I'll continue to ride around with the dimmest high beam in existence.

The BD43 mod is a simple wire, NO cutting / splicing, literally plug and play, but you have to get to the harness under the battery with the correct "terminal" to plug into.

I've had mine a decade now so I don't remember, (nor have the directions). A search here (or on-line) may find it.
[MENTION=2579]Motogiro[/MENTION] may have the link..

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There are a few ways to skin this cat. I would try to contact Daryl (bd43) to see if he has any if his kits remaining. If not get back here for a how to. :)

Torq_Shep

Reaction score
Visit site
As far as the "BD43" mod goes I will look into it shortly. The PO did a number on the wiring in the front (nothing missing just cut and spliced) so I am going to fix that properly and probably shorten the wires even further as I do not think anyone will ever re-fair this thing...

With that being said, I got most of my parts in and started working on brackets and such. I have the headlight stay tacked up and will only modify it slightly from here.
First Try...
20180821_184957[1].jpg
Too Low...
20180821_190554[1].jpg
2nd Try
20180821_212628[1].jpg
20180821_212641[1].jpg
20180821_212650[1].jpg
20180821_212658[1].jpg

Looks decent. Need to do some wiring work, see if I need to add any brackets, then clean it up, weld, and paint. I plan to mount the god awful speedo back onto the bike as I am too cheap to replace it. They made a back cover for these things right? Mine does not have one.

Torq_Shep

Reaction score
Visit site
20180826_124005[1].jpg
20180826_124024[1].jpg
20180826_124029[1].jpg
20180826_124011[1].jpg

All DIY brackets. And the fender eliminator looks like it blocks the plate but that is the angle that I took the picture at. From the rear and from 45deg overhead the plate is fully readable. I doubt the fuzz will bother me about it.