I picked up an R6 project

visions

THAT guy
Reaction score
Visit site
As I move forward with my fighter fz I wanted to pick up something else to daily... Been browsing for a while without a big budget, then I spotted this (incorrectly) listed as a "Yamaha 650 RS" on CraigsList for $1500. I knew I had to jump on the deal...

So this thing has been through some ****, pics showed a bike with a broken right clipon and said "runs but dead battery, bought at auction this morning" I called the guy super early in the morning the next day, at lunch time went to see the scoop on this thing. It had been let down a few times by the looks of it, nothing major tho. We couldn't get it started (even with a jumper pack) so I was able to knock some money off the $1500

Registration was out since 2004 (!) which would later cost me $850. Clean title. I've had the bike about a week now, just installed a used clipon from eBay, brake lever too. Changed the oil (which was surprisingly clean) brake pads are good, checked the important stuff for tightness and went on its maiden voyage today... All I can say is :rockon::rockon::rockon: the bike is fine, transmission shifts fine up to 3rd (didn't go very fast today) and holy **** is it quick. Much much faster than the FZ. The bodywork up front, headlight and fairing stay are all broken and rattle around... but I ordered a new light and stay today, should be getting some chinese race replica fairings from a buddy this weekend.

She needs some tlc, but here is what you guys really wanna see:

7611782716_d1e5e3dd5c_z.jpg

7611782264_e07755cfff_c.jpg

7611784640_5b037e3356_z.jpg

7611785680_0bda78c774_z.jpg

7611785942_3fbd0a86f0_z.jpg

7611783506_8239d35106_z.jpg

not bad for $2200, eh? I'm glad I got this, I can finally say: Let my fighter project begin (to the fz that is)

6839014555_be08f7ddd3_z.jpg

Last edited:

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Here in CA you pay for all the back years registration if it was never paid. That plus late fees etc etc adds up. Thats why its so important to to put it as non operating if you plan on not using it.

Where can i buy those red twisty caps on your adjustable forks?? I dont even know the name to google haha

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here in CA you pay for all the back years registration if it was never paid. That plus late fees etc etc adds up. Thats why its so important to to put it as non operating if you plan on not using it.

Where can i buy those red twisty caps on your adjustable forks?? I dont even know the name to google haha

Ebay:thumbup:

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Straight here in Cali it's a freaking rip for DMV fees and it's 10% tax on what you pay 10k for a car add 1k for sales tax makes you want to shoot yourself

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
I would say that is a great find! The R6 is a fun one indeed. I wish I did go and sell my FZ for those longer tour rides...:spank:

You can have that thing looking and running great in no time. If you are looking to spend the money you should get the inverted forks for the 05 model.

and is that action figure head the rear brake pedal?!:BLAA:

visions

THAT guy
Reaction score
Visit site
You can have that thing looking and running great in no time. If you are looking to spend the money you should get the inverted forks for the 05 model.

and is that action figure head the rear brake pedal?!:BLAA:

Sadly Hulk Hogan fell off on the way home, it was attached to some sort of weird slider coming from the swingarm pivot

And you mean THESE inverted forks? They are going on the FZ fighter project instead! Also, those are titanium headers for an R6, going on the fighter too... and that swingarm

7613558148_b79d859ebe_z.jpg

You can have my fork adjusters, did you do the R6 swap?

PM me your address if you want em

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sadly Hulk Hogan fell off on the way home, it was attached to some sort of weird slider coming from the swingarm pivot

And you mean THESE inverted forks? They are going on the FZ fighter project instead! Also, those are titanium headers for an R6, going on the fighter too... and that swingarm

7613558148_b79d859ebe_z.jpg

You can have my fork adjusters, did you do the R6 swap?

That's sad that Yamar's continued to use ball bearing instead of the tapered roller bearing. Looks like you have the calipers too so another Project is under way! Have Fun the 4 uhm will love it!
Should put that NIN sticker on the R6! :p

visions

THAT guy
Reaction score
Visit site
just finding out the fork seals are leaking, also one of the throttle cables is frayed and taped up :confused: & the key doesnt work for the rear seat... i am bidding on a stock exhaust from a newer r6 and still searching for a tail fairing

pics:

stripped the front down, i ordered a chinese headlight and it sucks.. so now i have to send it back and find an oem one... $
7638548936_35c0a980eb_z.jpg

started painting
7638548368_986056cd16_z.jpg

visions

THAT guy
Reaction score
Visit site
ordered front and rear stainless brake lines, new fork seals, 07 stock exhaust (looks badass i think) ... found a stock headlight on eBay ($275 OUCH)... now waiting for the postman and a paycheck to get the tail fairing and more paint... just rattlecan but its coming out good enough

7644976742_99705f701b_z.jpg

visions

THAT guy
Reaction score
Visit site
update: nose fairing arrived, windscreen, ss brake lines, throttle cables... and my tracking # says the headlight is at my parents house, woohoo

7692828048_10366a1ee1_c.jpg

im trying to decide if i want to do graphics on it or not... thoughts?

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
im trying to decide if i want to do graphics on it or not... thoughts?
I'm a fan of subtle graphics that are unique to the rider. Like if you named the bike have someone paint it in small letters or a favorite expression (letters permitting, or abbreviate it so it's a conversation piece). Otherwise, I don't much care for garish skulls or card playing jokers or w/e...

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
just finding out the fork seals are leaking

check out this vid about leaky fork seals....it might just be good for a bandaid untill you get to a rebuild.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USac5G4SI-U]How to fix leaking fork seals with SealMate - YouTube[/ame]

visions

THAT guy
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a fan of subtle graphics that are unique to the rider. Like if you named the bike have someone paint it in small letters or a favorite expression (letters permitting, or abbreviate it so it's a conversation piece). Otherwise, I don't much care for garish skulls or card playing jokers or w/e...

I agree with the lame graphics thing, skulls + sport bike = ever too common. Anyways, I've got a vinyl cutter, was thinking of doing something similar to the factory stripes, or a bunch of 'race' sponsor looking logos. Not sure yet, but I will post pics when everything is put together with ideas

visions

THAT guy
Reaction score
Visit site
i got the headlight on, loose fit the fairings just so i could see what it would look like... still have to paint the tail. waiting for turn signals & license plate bracket before i can ride it

7698585130_4239250fda_c.jpg