Diesel in FZ6

w5ar

Reaction score
Visit site
As I was entered Argentina, I didn't know that "gasolio" is diesel and "nafta" is gasoline (benzin), I thought it was the other way around. I already did 30-40km on reserve so I filled up the whole tank full of diesel.

Fortunately before turning the bike on, which would probably killed it immediately, I asked a lady that was working there did I do the right thing. As soon as she explained me the difference, I pushed my bike a side, got a bucket and found some hose through which I drained the fuel out. After the tank was light enough to lift it, I unscrewed it, disconnected drain hoses and fuel pump. I turned the whole tank upside down to get all the fuel out and filled it up with normal, unleaded gasoline.

I drove for around 100km after that "incident" and everything seems to be fine.

I thought to write it here also if someone manages to do something as "smart" as this...
Also, here's a short video of me draining the diesel out:
http://youtu.be/Re0OnOcJebo

--
www.earthonwheels.com

Thank you for sharing with us. Last I heard you were looking for a tire. Sounds like you found one and are on your way. You should be good to go after you cleaned the tank. Have a great trip! :D

Last edited:
Wow, that would have been an unfortunate accident. Good thing you asked about it. I would've thought the exact same as you and not asked anyone. So I would've had a toast bike.

On another note, I was born in Zagreb! Had a few minor "Crash landings" there on an old bike due to some poor roadwork, but nothing too serious.

I did that in my Honda Shadow once. I wasn't paying attention & grabbed the wrong nozzle. At least you had an excuse, you were in a foreign country & didn't understand the language; I was right here in the good ol' US of A & the pump was clearly marked in English! :spank: I almost had the tank full when some redneck came out & asked me, "That thang run on diesel?" I said, "Of course not!" He replied, "Well that's what yew juss put in thare!" After recovering from my embarassment, I rolled my bike over to the side where the mechanic on duty let me borrow a few tools to drain it. After filling it back up with some premium, I paid for the gas AND diesel & continued on my trip (with no problems, thank God).

While I don't condone abusing household chemicals...diesel and gasoline do have very distinct and different smells. Glad everything worked out for you.

Back