Dirt Bike Pants?

sandctrev

Reaction score
Visit site
Do they provide any protection on the rd? Does anybody wear them on the rd? They are considerably cheaper... Im cheap... But I don't care to throw money at something that won't reach my goal for purchase. Goal being Safty. Most of them seem to be some sort of textile, and I wear a textile jacket. Thoughts? Opinions?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They will provide more protection than regular pants/jeans in terms of holding up to a bit of sliding on pavement (they won't wear away to nothing as quickly as jeans), but that's about it. They have no knee or hip protection.
The cheap MX ones are also quite harsh and have no moisture whicking lining.

Good set of proper pants will last you many years (one of mine is ~8 years old and still in perfect shape), so in my opinion this is one of those proper tools for the job types of purchases.

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought these pants this fall and it definitely made the colder morning commute much more pleasurable. They do come with some knee and hip protection, an insulated liner and rain liner which are both removable. The price is reasonable and it provides me with an additional layer over jeans by themselves.

Sliders Kevlar All Season 2 Pants - Compacc

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought these pants this fall and it definitely made the colder morning commute much more pleasurable. They do come with some knee and hip protection, an insulated liner and rain liner which are both removable. The price is reasonable and it provides me with an additional layer over jeans by themselves.

Sliders Kevlar All Season 2 Pants - Compacc

Those are perfectly nice street pants. I think OP was talking about something like this: O'Neal Racing Mayhem Roots Pants - 2013 - Closeout - Motorcycle Superstore

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
They will provide more protection than regular pants/jeans in terms of holding up to a bit of sliding on pavement (they won't wear away to nothing as quickly as jeans), but that's about it. They have no knee or hip protection.
The cheap MX ones are also quite harsh and have no moisture whicking lining.

Good set of proper pants will last you many years (one of mine is ~8 years old and still in perfect shape), so in my opinion this is one of those proper tools for the job types of purchases.

Actually some do have hip protection. i had a pair of Shift Moto pants with hip pads. also you can stuff knee pads under them.

Look into FLY RACING Moto Knee guards. they have a ball and socket type joint for all the time protection

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually some do have hip protection. i had a pair of Shift Moto pants with hip pads. also you can stuff knee pads under them.

Look into FLY RACING Moto Knee guards. they have a ball and socket type joint for all the time protection

Yeah, most do have little hip inserts now that I think about it (I've got several for DH mountain biking).
Kind of a pain fitting stand-alone knee pads under pants, no?
I'd probably go with full armor under-layer + kevlar jeans if I wanted to maintain casual look.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, most do have little hip inserts now that I think about it (I've got several for DH mountain biking).
Kind of a pain fitting stand-alone knee pads under pants, no?
I'd probably go with full armor under-layer + kevlar jeans if I wanted to maintain casual look.

well the MX pants have a little more room for protection underneath, but trying to stuff kneepads under jeans is a pain. once i outgrew the MX pants i bought the "husky" fit firehose material pants so i could stuff the knee pads in, and that firehose material wont rip or grind through.

if going after MX pants for the street, id look for the full length, over-boot style stuff, that would be great

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I am pretty cheap too. Well, I do want a good bang for my buck, that's my little pet peeve.

Spending $150 to $200 on good street motorcycle pants is a lot cheaper than having multiple skin graft operations and weeks of being out of work because of therapy or laying in hospital.

I justify any motorcycle purchase with this simple analogy.

-"Would I still try to justify not buying proper motorcycle gear because it's too expensive, whilst I am laying in hospital with a road rash all over my ass?"

No, $200 is well worth the investment in protecting your skin.

Look around, you are bound to find a good deal.