DIY Polycarbonate Windshield addition?

ryanag

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone tried to make their own windshield addition? I'm 6'8" and have the Puig touring screen but at highway speeds the air is hitting me right in the neck. I'm taking a trip next month and would like to get that problem fixed before I go. I've seen all the different windshield options and I'm trying to keep the cost down.

I'm curious if anyone has cut their own piece of polycarbonate and attached it to your windshield? How did it turn out? Was it worth it?

I've often thought about this myself. Seems like something that would be pretty easy to do. I have the same screen, but it does pretty good as is. It helps that I'm 6'0". You have another 8". You a pretty tall dude.

I am 6ft 6 and found a used Madstad screen which I have been playing with. What I have found is that higher is not always better.

Being this tall I started with the screen in almost it's highest position and with the wind now hitting me at about brow level the noise in my helmet was deafening (even with plugs). Over the next 3 or 4 rides (adjusting the screen is a pain in the ar$e) I dropped the screen down so now the airflow hits me just below my helmet making the helmet much quieter while still keeping most of the air off my chest.

Remember your mileage may vary !!

P.S. Nice to see another FZ6 in Houston area.

texcollect, that's why I've been hesitant to just pull the trigger on a tall windscreen. I don't want to shell out all that $$ just to have shifted the problem somewhere else. If worse comes to worse, I may just have to put on a windcollar or something similar to alleviate the pressure on my neck. I've got a little over a month to take care of it as well as many other things (seat cushion, rain gear, etc).

And yep, I'm a native Houstonian. We may not have twisties but we can still have fun.:thumbup:

I did on my 6R and I end up with a great screen. But it's right, it's not all about how tall the screen is. If you need just a bit more look into a laminar lip. That work great. I notice that the width has a lot to do with it too. I build a few screen before I got it right... wasn't a cheap project for sure. I build a few and sell them also but it was way too time consuming to be profitable, or even brake even. But if you build one for yourself time doesn't really matters.

I used Lowe's lexan to test at first... much cheaper! I might still have my template somewhere... I end up with 22" to be the sweet spot.

http://www.fz6r-forum.com/forum/f89/custom-windscreen-19649/

http://www.fz6r-forum.com/forum/f89/marthy-22-windscreen-light-tint-21349/

Last edited:
Let me know if you want to try out a standard screen. Also on the seating front I went from Standard -> Spencer mod -> Corbin -> raised and lengthened Corbin. It's still not perfect, but it's getting there !!

texcollect, I actually came across your older posts about your seat evolution and am currently looking at a Corbin. How long was the turn-around-time from order to delivery?

Marthy, your work looks very good. What tools did you use to make the cuts and bends to make it fit correctly.

I have both the Puig and the stock screen so I have options on which I want to add on to.

Last edited:
I bought both of mine used so there was no real turn around (1 from eBay and the other from here). For my Spencer mod'd seat it took 8 days door to door to door to do (UPS Ground).

Can you please post the pictures as images? Otherwise, it requires me to register at the FZ6R site. Thanks.

I did on my 6R and I end up with a great screen. But it's right, it's not all about how tall the screen is. If you need just a bit more look into a laminar lip. That work great. I notice that the width has a lot to do with it too. I build a few screen before I got it right... wasn't a cheap project for sure. I build a few and sell them also but it was way too time consuming to be profitable, or even brake even. But if you build one for yourself time doesn't really matters.

I used Lowe's lexan to test at first... much cheaper! I might still have my template somewhere... I end up with 22" to be the sweet spot.

Custom Windscreen - Yamaha FZ6R Forums - International FZ6R / XJ6 Motorcycle Community Forum

Marthy 22" windscreen light tint - Yamaha FZ6R Forums - International FZ6R / XJ6 Motorcycle Community Forum

Yeah, I went through the mess of registering to see them, only to find out that they are dead links on the FZ6R site.

Really? Sorry about that... wasn't aware? Here's few pics of the final result I got. I tested a few ones. From 20", 22", 24" and even 26". Pass a point it doesn't make any difference so I stick with the 22" After I redid my seat I end up 1" higher... so I add the laminar lip type on top of it. That did a big difference for me.

I will admit that the screen is huge, but do a hell of a fine job. I also got a Puig touring screen to drive around here. I did 4K in a week earlier this year from West Palm Beach to Laconia, NH (Bike week) and my neck was fine. I drove back one shot, that was good for a IBA Bun Burner 1500. I was beat up and tired of riding for 24 hrs in a row after a week gone riding but I will ever have done it without my custom screen.

So I tested with 1/8" clear stuff I could find at Lowe's or Home Depot then bought the tint stuff online at eplastic.com I bought a 24" x 48" x 3/16" the 1/8" tick was flexing too much. 3/16" was much better but a B&^% to bend. I made myself a little wood bender with few piece of wood and hitches then I used a heat gun and a truck load of patience.

Have fun!

Back