Do you consider the FZ6 a "crotch rocket"

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I put it this way, My buddy rides a super sport (zx 6R) and everyone says its a crotch rocket. Everyone calls my Fz6 a crotch rocket. But when I bought insurance the man said oh thats a sport touring bike so I pay 48 a month while my buddy pays 119 for insurance. So I call its sport touring.[/QUOTE]

Whoa. Statefarm for me calls it a standard. R1 rates must be pretty high.

Around my insurance agent, it's a standard or a tourer and I sit upright. When I'm alone, I crouch down and call it something else :D.

Dennis

Here' s proof:

No one should be paying R1 or even R6 insurance prices for the FZ6. If you are, you're just simply getting RIPPED OFF!

Woe257

Reaction score
Visit site
For what it's worth I've had it called a "street bike" verses a "sport bike". The "sport bikes" have more often been called the C. Rockets. Guess I don't know what I should call it myself other than is is a great all around multi purpose bike. That's a mouth full when someone asks though.

Whatever you call it...I LIKE it!

Getaway

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I call it a Sport Standard or a Sport Touring when asked, but that usually just generates more questions. The answer that works best for non-riders is, It's just a motorcycle, man. Not a hog, not crotch rocket, just a bike.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
It is a sport bike, not a crotch rocket. I liked the term "upright sport bike" used earlier in this thread.

Now, for a rant.

Most people that not familiar with bike always think japanese bike is always croch rocket...well tooo bad
I believed FZ6, CB599, SV650 are more famous in Europe & Asia then here in US. They more into standard bike position while having tuned sport engine..
All can be a rocket in 2sd gear ......

um.... What!? When I first read this, I was certain that I was reading a post from someone in Greece or Belgium or *insert favorite European country here* but I definitely, DEFINITELY did not expect a Texan.

Most people that not familiar with bike always think japanese bike is always croch rocket

Priceless.:thumbup:

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I call it a Sport Standard or a Sport Touring when asked, but that usually just generates more questions. The answer that works best for non-riders is, It's just a motorcycle, man. Not a hog, not crotch rocket, just a bike.

Best description i've heard yet. It is a standard and a sport bike. Sport Standard has it nailed. BTW if you're paying supersport insurance rates you're getting ripped. American family classifies the sv650, gsx650f, ninja 650r, and fz6, among a few others, as touring bikes. Cheap$$.

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never considered it a crotch rocket. But sometimes when talking to people I have to say "kinda like a crotch rocket" because no one knows what a standard or a sport touring is.

Unfortunately, Progressive considers it it a sportbike with the likes of the R6 and R1 ("well it says super sport on the website":Im With Stupid:), so the rates are just the same as if I had an R1.

Your definetly getting ripped if you pay the same insurance as a R6. I mean I was 24 (I am supposed to pay higher rates) when i got my insurance with mcgraw and I had an accident on my record (with the cage on ice:spank:) and I pay $650 a year for the FZ. That comes out to about $54 a month. My housemates who both have a FZ6 pay a little less then me a month because they have clean records. But unless your labeled an at risk driver by the insurance you are getting ripped paying high insurance prices for this bike.

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
Luckily I'm no longer with them. When I go back to my bike insured I'm definitely going to fight for the right price.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
No one should be paying R1 or even R6 insurance prices for the FZ6. If you are, you're just simply getting RIPPED OFF!

Why not? Am I safer ripping through a canyon road on an FZ6 compared to an R6 and why?
Insurance rates have nothing logical about them... a Busa is cheaper to insure than a GSXR600 with some carriers... Cali_Rider was quoted the same (very low) price to insure his Kawi compared to his FZ6... why???

:)

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am with Liberty Mutual and they (at least in NH) go strictly by engine size. When I had the FZ6 at 600cc and my wife had her S40 650cc thumper with ZERO power/performance, her insurance was much higher than mine with only a 50cc difference even though the FZ6 would leave that thumper standing still. Same when she got the V Star 650 custom.

I am happy to say that my trade from the 600cc to 998cc bike didn't jack the insurance much at all. :D

David is correct though... it's no safer on the FZ6 vs. an R6 carving the canyon. The difference is the insurance company placing a label on the bike AND the rider simply because of the ergonomics and a few more HP. As humans, we're chastized is we sterotype and/or label, but it's OK for the insurance companies to do so?

coachestabrook

Reaction score
Visit site
I've never considered it a crotch rocket. But sometimes when talking to people I have to say "kinda like a crotch rocket" because no one knows what a standard or a sport touring is.

Unfortunately, Progressive considers it it a sportbike with the likes of the R6 and R1 ("well it says super sport on the website":Im With Stupid:), so the rates are just the same as if I had an R1.
You might want to check with another Progressive agent. When I started looking for bikes in Feb '08, I was intitially quoted $2500 per year for a Gixxer 750. I was 45-years-old with no tickets and I told them I thought they must be smoking crack. I almost put my dreams of getting a bike on hold. The same Progressive agent quoted me more than $1000 for the FZ6. I looked around and found another agent who got me a full coverage policy with progressive for $30 month. I have since added medical and I am still below $60 mo.

And I have always referred to my bike as a crotch rocket. The way it hurts my azz if I ride more than 60 miles, it certainly can't be called a cruiser. Anything that gets me from 80 mph cruising to 115 passing in just a couple of seconds is a rocket.

C-bus Biker

Reaction score
Visit site
The only person that has described it as a crotch-rocket to me was the secretary at my insurance agency who was determined to charge me three times more than she should because it's a "crotch-rocket". I won the argument eventually, but it was the difference between a little under $400 per year and over $1200 per year as a "crotch rocket". Because of my debate, my wife now calls the FZ-6 my "not-a-crotch-rocket".

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 a crotch rocket? Get out! (but, that's a good one)Now, if you want to put on some clip-ons and a new lower set, okay, now you got some gas. You guys complaining about high insurance rates: Suck it up and pay the man (hah, hah)

Last edited:

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
Every single person I ride with has a crotch rocket, none of them think my FZ is a crotch rocket.

To me, a crotch rocket is a super sport bike with clip-ons.

The FZ is a sport/touring bike because it has ergos that of a touring bike with the engine of a super sport bike.

and crotch/touring just doesnt sound good. lol.

jcbarr318

Reaction score
Visit site
The cagers only know two types of bikes...Harleys and crotch rockets. Everything fits into one of those categories. So speaks my wife everytime I try to show her something in Cycle World.

"But look honey, it's an inline four with a dual underseat exhaust!"
"That's nice dear, now take out the trash!"

But no, I personally do not consider the FZ6 a crotch rocket.