Dumb question. How often do I lube the chain?

Nooj

Reaction score
Visit site
With a spray can lube, a VERY light spray every 250 miles or so, 100 miles if it's been wet weather, one revolution of the chain will do. Most importantly... directly after a ride while the chain is still warm so the lube thins out and creeps into all the places it needs to be!

If chain wax is used, it needs to be cleaned off regularly as the dirt sticks to it and forms a grinding paste that will eat your chain and sprockets.

What ever you use, little and often onto a warm chain is the best way to do it. I highly recommend using a Scottoiler or something similar, it's so much less hassle than crawling round on the floor with a spray can.

schumacher62

Reaction score
Visit site
all that said, the object of keeping on the chain lube/cleaning is to make the bike operate as it was designed, ease shifting and transmission of power, and of course to extend the life of the chain.

so how much does a new chain cost anyhow? and what is a short life for a new chain, and what is a long life? in miles i mean...

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
Cost of a new chain is anywhere from $75 to $150 depending on brand and quality. Not sure of the typical life, depends a lot on maintenance and how hard you ride.

Intoxicologist

Reaction score
Visit site
I check my chain every week and lube as necessary. But I make a point of cleaning it every 600 miles just in case. Doesn't take to long and it gives me some quality time with my baby :)

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's another dumb question...

What happens if the chain isn't lubed regularly? What is the "chain" of events that follow? I plan to continue to lube the chain regularly, but just curious...

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
What happens if you lub your chain regularly??

Your chain won`t rust and will live longer? :thumbup:

aaronrosencrans

Reaction score
Visit site
Now make sure you don't do what this guy did!

"My friend lost about a centimetre off his right index finger last month cleaning his Dakar chain in a campground with the engine running. Good thing it was here in Japan and not in Russia where he was a couple months ago, or he may have lost more than just the tip of the finger and a lot of money in hospital bills. It seems that this is a common type of accident in the rural area of north Hokkaido he was in at the time. The doctor took one look and new exactly what to do. An then a farmer came in at about the same time with a similar injury from an engine or something. Why is it that some people feel the urge to stick their fingers in moving machinery? Chris in Tokyo"

That was found on F650 General Chain FAQ

Turn your engine off and spin the rear tire with your HAND. Also, make sure your hand isn't on the chain when you're spinning said tire -- you never know! I wish there were pictures....:rockon:

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:rolleyes: Thanks for the excellent story and warning. I'll gladly learn from that example above than painfully on my own. Like wrightme has said "...make sure your ignition key is in your pocket..."

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
:rolleyes: Thanks for the excellent story and warning. I'll gladly learn from that example above than painfully on my own. Like wrightme has said "...make sure your ignition key is in your pocket..."

I always wipe and spray the bottom loop of the chain while spinning it away from me. In other words, while I'm holding onto the chain I'm turning the wheel in the direction that moves my hand away from the rear sprocket should something get stuck.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used WD-40 to clean my chain. Wiping continuously till the rag showed no more grime coming off the chain. I let it dry for a few minutes. Riding the bike a block around my house I warmed up the chain. I then joyfully sprayed on DuPont Teflon Multi-Purpose lubricant. :rockon:

Scott64a

Reaction score
Visit site
I went ahead and wiped it clean after break-in, and every couple weeks I wipe the grime off and spray it well with a good synthetic chain lube.

If I ride in the rain, I let it dry out completely and then hit a 4-6 inch section with chain lube and let it set up before riding it. The lube works its way around the whole chain after a few miles, and I've never had any problems.