Ebay USB Port Install

larcklorn

Reaction score
Visit site
I am a big fan of USB power as it is used for almost every electronic device I have. My droid is my phone, gps, music player, and food finder - so on trips I like to have it running. As any of you know that have one of these it would last all of an hour running GPS, Phone, and Music all at once without a power supply - so USB Power Supply installation was the key.

After searching on the board I came across this little gem on ebay.

Pros:

Looks nice
Well made
In-line fuse

Cons:

Must place on dash or tie to handlebars
If you mount something on your handlebars to use - you will need the cord long enough to move while steering

This project took me apx. 2 hours to do (first time I had ever pulled up the gas tank and removed trim pieces. If you are experienced an hour max on this. To start I used a piece of tape and traced the outline for the hole needed and then found a location on the bike that I liked. I already have grip warmers installed or I would have placed it on the front dash instead of on the side trim, but I like how it turned out. I then used a 1/2 inch drill bit to start a hole in the center and then a drimmel high grit sandpaper round to finish the deed.

Note: I tried one of the large drimmel circular disc's, but it was to big and could not be used to get a detailed finish.

Once I had the hole I fitted the USB port and tightened her down - then ran the cord to battery and trimmed off with black quick tie cables. No need to go into detail there as you can find other discussions on that.

So the end results are attached.

Conclusion - I really like the look of this as it is professional looking and works very well. My only concern is with running the cord from their to my handlebars where I will have my RAM Mount Waterproof case, but it shouldn't be so bad as long as I have a long enough cord to not interfere with turning. Additionally, I have been doing some research on waterproof USB cables, because how I have it sitting there could be some water transfer if using during inclement weather. You can hot glue a cable into there or I have found a few rubber hose end caps that I think can be ran onto the USB cord, glued in place, and then slip right over the edges of this device to create a nice seal.

Overall - very pleased.

Last edited:

ChurchWVU

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks nice, I have been thinking of adding one.

I see the Grip heaters control, but what is the switch beside it?

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Radio shack might have one of these little jewels too. Im going there tomorrow to see. Great idea, I have a 12 volt cigarette lighter plug-in thingy, but I like the USB better maybe.

larcklorn

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks nice, I have been thinking of adding one.

I see the Grip heaters control, but what is the switch beside it?

The left knob is the temperature control and the right is the on/off switch :BLAA:

Haven't had a chance to use them yet, but Paper seemed to like them.

pulverizer

Reaction score
Visit site
Does this draw any power when nothing is plugged in? I ask because you said you have it plugged directly into the battery, so I am just wondering if there will be any drain on the battery when the bike is off and nothing is plugged into the usb port.

larcklorn

Reaction score
Visit site
It is battery direct - so if you have something plugged in it will draw power from it when the bike is off, but when nothing is plugged in it will not have any adverse effect on the battery.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nicely done! I got a waterproof USB outlet and am deciding where to put it too. Mine isn't panel mount, so I have to do some thinking.

For future reference I've found that simple spade bits work very well for cutting clean holes in the inner fairings.

larcklorn

Reaction score
Visit site
My dremmel has a small round ball bit with drill grooves that simmed to work well. I should have looked on here for suggestions as I was pretty frustrated with my first few choices of bits. I will keep that in mind for the future.