Ebr 1190sx

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Some of the similarities are there. The huge perimeter style front brake IIRC is a Buell staple. Also the new EBRs are storing fuel in the frames, just like the old Buell line did. Older Buell bikes did other interesting things, including under-engine centered exhausts.

Buell also did oil in the swing arm! :)
Buell was an engineer at HD before starting his own company as an offshoot of HD. so naturally things associated with HD would be involved like belt drive on past Buells which has some great advantages.

The engine that was used in the 1125r was a BRP Rotax made in Austria. This new engine is also a Rotax but they did some interesting tricks with the intake valves getting them to stagger the opening time to create a swirl effect that gives more mid band power. This equates to better useable power in street application as a road bike. I think this bike will be equal to the Panigale 1199 on the track once the front brake rotor issue is solved. :)

The 1190RX
Erik_Buell_Racing_1190RX_Superbike.jpg

Also check out the cooling scoops for the brake assembly!
2014_Erik_Buell_Racing_1190RX_1146033.jpg

Last edited:

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Buell also did oil in the swing arm! :)
Buell was an engineer at HD before starting his own company as an offshoot of HD. so naturally things associated with HD would be involved like belt drive on past Buells which has some great advantages.

The engine that was used in the 1125r was a BRP Rotax made in Austria. This new engine is also a Rotax but they did some interesting tricks with the intake valves getting them to stagger the opening time to create a swirl effect that gives more mid band power. This equates to better useable power in street application as a road bike. I think this bike will be equal to the Panigale 1199 on the track once the front brake rotor issue is solved. :)

How could I forget the oil-in-the-swingarm! A testament to Buell's ingenuity is that you can never remember all of the things he did to his bike line.

The history of the man is also pretty fascinating to read about. IIRC he implemented (or tried to implement) an idea to get radiators to generate thrust to offset their high drag contributions. I was told that it probably wouldn't work, but the idea alone was interesting.

A toast to the geeks!

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
I wish Erik the very best. The motor company handed him a raw deal. The only thing I can't understand is him going into WSB without a proven platform. It seems to be somewhat embarrassing so far.

I think they just announced a naked version as well.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure the pictures are everywhere as soon as they're somewhere, but here's a link:

403 Forbidden

The front exhaust header appears to be rectangular. Am I seeing that right?

Man that bike looks awesome...

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
That's actually the first time I'v seen the Cycle World article.

2015-EBR-1190SX-static-1.jpg

That is one good looking bike.

Hopefully my FZ lasts long enough for me to afford one.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
161 HP per their dyno, nothing to sneeze at but not 185HP. 24 HP parasitic drag?

It seems most bikes lose 11-13% of HP from crank to wheel.

For example, FZ1 is rated 150, but average WHP is 129.

FZ6 is rated 98 and average WHP is in high 80's.

I'm thinking this bike will be very very fast. Being a V-twin, I'm also guessing there'll be ridiculous levels of low end torque.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It seems most bikes lose 11-13% of HP from crank to wheel.

For example, FZ1 is rated 150, but average WHP is 129.

FZ6 is rated 98 and average WHP is in high 80's.

I'm thinking this bike will be very very fast. Being a V-twin, I'm also guessing there'll be ridiculous levels of low end torque.

Power to weight ratio of a Honda CBR1000RR without rider is higher than that of a Bugatti Veyron.

The EBR will go, I would bet.