Electric bikes.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely maybe. :) If I had a place to store/charge it, AND infrastructure starts to improve, then definitely.

I think e-bikes are awesome, and I hope to live long enough to see it become a real mainstream reality. Because I think it will over a long enough timeline. :thumbup:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i'd definitely be interested, it's a 16 mile round trip to work for me, provided it didn't have a chain drive then it would probably make an ideal commuter bike for me

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Bought a Chevy Volt a month ago, never thought i would have an electric car but so far am totally amazed at it. Took a 350 mile trip today and yes the battery didn't last but the first part but was able to do the trip as basically a hybrid. During the week the commute to work (for the few days I don't ride the motorcycle) are perfect. Adequate acceleration and great offline zip. Quite and smooth. So yes I amazed! An electric bike would be incredible - great torque and acceleration, smooth and quiet (now how to get loud electrons to save lives). Biggest hurdle is the limited range but if they could get 60 to 80 miles range I'll certainly be interested. Very interested in the new Yamaha electric bike concept. I'm not on a crusade to save the planet or anything but like the low fuel costs.

Bought the Volt because of low cost. A month ago the 2013's had $6,000 in rebates, $500 if you went thru Costco, plus GM credit card accumulated $ plus $7,500 tax credit makes it hard to not consider it. First car I have bought that had ZERO defects or problems!

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
In 25 years maybe, but of course I'll be 98 years old then. LOL Not likely. But my grand dad was in Ripley's Believe It Or Not because at the time he was the oldest known person to get his solo pilots license at 92. Maybe.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Check out the Zero. Great city bike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would love one for around town and shorter commutes! I would still need a gasser for road tripping, though.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i'd love a hybrid car, but my biggest gripe is most of them seem unable to tow anything, i'd like to be able to tow my motorcycle to trackdays

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
no. the feasibility of electric vehicles for all round and everyday use just isnt very good. they would have to make some massive breakthroughs in technology for me to consider going electric. there is no infrastructure as well.

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if you havent watched yet check it out.....Charged on netflix

from Netflix site:

'CHARGE is proof that maniacs on motorcycles can be a force for global good. The movie follows several teams to the world's first zero-emissions grand prix on the Isle of Man in 2009 and on their return in 2010. For the visionaries, this is history.'

Good stuff. The teams were all on a massive learning curves as they prepared to race and many did not finish. At one point the Motoczysz had crossed some wires on their bike and when they hit the power the rear wheel spun backwards. Fortunately the bike was still on it's stands.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it might be an alternative pretty soon, and might be worth it for my 50 mile round trip commute, but as I ride through the winter, and store my bike outside I doubt the quoted range of these machines, oh and I use heated grips as well. ;)

BTW there was a thread started here a bit ago discussing the same thing (but not specifically for the UK)

I also think it will be economically viable for us europeans earlier than for you guys across the pond due to the amount of extra tax that gets added to fuel over here. But this brings up the scary issue that when the government loose taxes then they have to regain them again somehow :eek:

Last edited:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Seems like some states and communities are already "discovering" the lost revenue due to electric cars and want to tax based on miles driven. Politicians may be not so bright most of the time but amazingly brilliant when it comes to revenue! When that happens it will take away much of the cost advantage of electric cars, but at the same time I don't mind paying my fair share of the upkeep of our roads. Around here there is not much of a push as there are not many electrics.

Electric bikes will be great commuter bikes but will take a long time before they can really replace the touring bikes. Cool thing about an electric is the silent torque that slings you down the road, if you ever have the chance to experience a Tesla it is amazing! A good electric would recover a lot of the energy used in acceleration in slowing down so the actual energy used is that consumed by frictional losses, heat in motor windings and electronics and wind resistance. Easier to do an electric car but an electric bike is not impossible, just needs to find the right balance between practical and fun. Look at the Honda Grom - great little bike but not a fast, long distance, etc. An electric version would be very interesting - just need to hit the right range.

Biggest risk to having an electric bike is they can't be fitted with loud pipes and therefore are inherently dangerous. :)

Yammi Dodger

Reaction score
Visit site
Biggest risk to having an electric bike is they can't be fitted with loud pipes and therefore are inherently dangerous. :)

Totally agree on that one, but I'm sure they will come up with some kind of sound as it would put people off from buying one if they don't.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site

Sorry, but IMHO, "this is wrong". Car drivers don't hear your loud "safety pipes" until you're at their side and revving the knackers off it, and then they get a long note as you disappear off into the distance.

Ride sensibly, overtake safely and keep a good road position so as to be seen. That'll make riding a silent bike as safe as riding with the loudest pipes you can find.

What else would you suggest? Tuning our engines so lean we can have a big blue flash out the back for every gear change at night?

Last edited:

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The Bramma Electric Bikes are made in Oregon I wouldn't mind one myself. They are pretty darn good and are making more models all the time. I bought a Ford Fusion Hybrid Last January 2nd so 11 months ago and love it. I did get sort of a lemon as I am not getting the 47 mpg it's supposed to as we have super bad gas in Oregon and it's somewhat hilly. The technology is pretty cool to say the least. Love the car. I've never had a 4 door car. Ever. It's sure a great looking car for a hybrid. One thing I don't like about this perticular hybrid is you have to have a super, super, super light foot on the gas to keep it in electric mode. Very hard for me to get used to being mister lead foot. LOL I am a much mellower driver now days. Except on my FZ6. :rockon: