engine cuts out

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I just drilled and then used an easy-out on the little bolts. The actual switch looks good. Doesn't look like any bad solder joints. While I had everything apart, I set the pc board in the housing and slipped on the contacts and fired it up. While like that, I wiggled the contacts and wires and it never cut out. Maybe the board and contacts were just a bit dirty. Possible seeing as how the bottom of the switch is open enough for junk to get in there. Cleaned things up and put on some dielectric grease, and I'll see what happens.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just an FYI..

On my Yamaha Marine ignition switch, I was having an issue of NO CRANK (only on the first try) if the boat sits for more than roughly 3 weeks.

Second try, always cranked. Relays had been replaced already sometime way before that- different issue.

I believed it was the ignition switch contacts inside were getting corroded (12 years old, always near the marine environment).

Recommended on a Yamaha OB forum, I picked up this product, MG super contact cleaner:
https://www.mgchemicals.com/product...-cleaners/super-contact-cleaner-with-ppe-801b

Sprayed it down the ignition switch, into the contacts... No more issues. Cranks always, first try..

It does leave a little bit of what seems like an oily film.

*I also used it on one stereo volume switch (which hadn't worked properly in YEARS) and another small radio (also out by the boat). Fixed both of them and still working great! That was about 4 months ago. Not cheap stuff but DOES WORK, no doubt..

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
A person could use a spray like that on these switches. With the bottom being open, it would be easy to spray the contacts. Hmm, actually sounds like cheap insurance.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A person could use a spray like that on these switches. With the bottom being open, it would be easy to spray the contacts. Hmm, actually sounds like cheap insurance.

I try many products (and did so on the stereo & radio), nothing worked (had to use the remote control for the stereo). If the remote died, it was going to be trashed.. Now, it works like new..

This stuff actually works and certainly can be used as preventive maintenance... At about $20 for a small can (adjustable nozzle!), it's WELL WORTH the $.

Saved me easily $150 for a new marine ignition switch..