Question Error code 53 - immobilizer - SOLVED - Important for anyone!

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Been a long time since I looked and posted here - sorry about that :)

2 days ago when I started the bike to go to work the following occurred:
Turned the key and immediately dash showed that temperature was maximum and it said "53" where the mileage is usually shown. The red light immobilizer lamp was flashing. Was of course not able to start.
Turned the key 2 times more and same happened. 4th attempt gave no errors and I was able to start my bike. Went to work. No issue then I had to go home. Yesterday same thing happened when I had to start at the morning. This time I only had to give it one more go before problem was gone. Today I had no issues in the morning?

A little search/google/youtube tells me that this could be the immobilizer itself or wires to it (maybe cable loom just under the key/immobilizer). One youtube video clearly showed a yellow wire in the cable loom that was broken and caused this exact error.

If I have a bad connection somewhere... Will I only experience problems when starting the bike or could I experience a cutoff during riding? o_O

3 days ago, before I first experienced this, I rode through the worst rain ever. Was about 90 minutes of heavy rain on the highway so lots of splashes from cars. Next 90 minutes was mostly dry so I was almost. Perhaps the key insert (and immobilizer?) got moist?

I guess I need new boots cause the old Puma's have a small crack in the side of the sole so I got one wet sock. Unfortunately my pants couldn't quite cope with the 90 minute rain puddle between my inner thighs so I I erhmm... well my sack got wet :eek:

EDIT: When trying to start with error "53" the engine turned but didn't fire up.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good to see you!
If you live where roads get salted in the winter and a connector gets dirt and then gets wet, the salt helps give a better electrical path between pins in the connector. The immobilizer may think there is a wiring problem and react with a logical solution. Pull the connectors apart, flush with cold water and dry with compressed air. Lubricate with silicone grease to help prevent future water invasion.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Was at work when I started the thread. And whatayaknow... Wouldn't start when I wanted to ride home - same error and constant now.
Luckily for me I even parked the bike at the back of the Factory workshop. In the morning I thought about looking at it if I had time during my 12 hour saturday shift. So had all required tools, wire and whatever available within 20 metres :)
Checked the cable loom from the immobilizer and there was a small opening in the rubber covering the cables. Pinched it a little more open and a piece of yellow wire popped out. On my way to work it must have completely parted. Theother 4-5 wires looked and felt fint. Of some reason the yellow wire easily breaks. Fixed it within 30 minutes and was good to go.

Doesn't seem like there is a plug unto the bottom of the immobilizer. I only had about halv an inch of yellow cable to work with from the immobilizer so I might have to consider buying a new if it happens again. And seems like the immobilizer itself can't be removed without some drilling? Removing the two small rubbercaps on each side of the key-insert shows shows that Yamaha have snapped the bolt - probably for security reasons. The immobilizer can't be removed without removing the keyinsert. The black collar around the keyinsert is part of the immobiliser so it's stuck unless you remove the whole keyunit.

Attached some pictures...

64279134873__1648076A-EB23-4B18-9E69-3870BF073C50.jpeg

Would recommend ANYONE to inspect the cable loom. Our bikes are more or less the same age. The cable loom has some sharp corners that can potentially, and quite easy, open up and expose the poor yellow wire.

IMG_5323.jpeg

IMG_5325.jpeg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Great find! I bet you could make a permanent fix for that and secure it so that it doesn't bend so much in that area. Wonder if the other wires are also weakened in that same bend.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
The other wires felt a bit more flexible than the yellow? Maybe the yellow wire, of some reason, reacts worse than the others to water?
Got some time off work the next week so will, like you mentioned, make a more permament fix :)
Might open up the rest of the flex rubber and secure it much better. Maybe the yellow has more weak spots.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The other wires felt a bit more flexible than the yellow? Maybe the yellow wire, of some reason, reacts worse than the others to water?
Got some time off work the next week so will, like you mentioned, make a more permament fix :)
Might open up the rest of the flex rubber and secure it much better. Maybe the yellow has more weak spots.
It looks like the outer harness sheath was damaged. Is it possible that wiring/sheath is getting pinched in a steering stop?