Exhaust indecision

Last year when I was stationed in Yuma, AZ a friend of mine suggested scorpion and it seems that I looked only for that because it was all I knew, as far as I can tell they have a great sound to them but even at 23 years old I have an appreciation for something that looks like it grew there and Scorpion seems a little out of place. How it looks has great value to me as well.

Bear in mind that ANY custom alteration is based on personal "taste" and is very subjective. There's not much point in spending thousands of dollars on custom parts that nobody notices because they "look like they grew there".
I initially did not care for the appearance of any other slip-on besides the Two Brothers, which are pretty unique, and closest to the profile of the OEM mufflers (I'm talking length here). The "other" slip-ons with the extended tailpipe just didn't look right, but I only had photos to rely upon. However, once my Scorpions were on and I saw them "in real life", they look great. Carbon fiber is the only way to go on an FZ6, in my (subjective) opinion...it just looks right. Even on the blue ones.

craiglumsden said:
Also I looked at two brothers and noticed that the CF is 200 bucks more than alum.. WHY? are a couple of ounces really worth hundreds of dollars?

Replacement carbon fiber parts are always more expensive than the "original" material. It's what Ducati relies on for cash flow.;)

So TB or Scorp pros and cons, and should I go CF?

I don't know, should you? LOL...dude, you will eventually have to make your OWN decsions here. :thumbup:

Pro's and Con's are kinda pointless as what might be a 'pro' for me, others may see as a 'con'. What I like, others may not. Welcome to the world of modding. It's an individual thing.

You've narrowed it down to two so that's a good start. Now go do some research of your own on these products. There are plenty of posts, pictures and reviews on here and over on SBN-FZ6 forum.

You can ask all the questions you want, but in the end this is something that you will have to just do. Go with what you want and for how much you are willing to pay.

Last edited:
Different sounds and way different frequencies. The cruiser exhaust is driven by coffee cans for pistons where the sportbike uses 4 of these little dinky pistons that make a high frequency sound that can literally hurt under the right circumstances. Clearing 100dbA is nothing for an I4.

Yup, I hear you there (bad pun intended). This is just part of my whole "amusement" at the stark differences between the FZ6 and my Vulcan cruiser, since this is the first non-cruiser I've ever dealt with in the 4 years I've been riding. It's such a different but awesome experience, for sure!

So TB or Scorp pros and cons, and should I go CF?

Both are excellent products...you'll be happy with either. At the end of the day, it's going to have to be YOUR decision. ;)
If expense is a factor, Scorpion cf's are around $500 to $600, Two Brothers cf's run around $900 to $1000.

Scorp2.jpg

Both are excellent products...you'll be happy with either. At the end of the day, it's going to have to be YOUR decision. ;)
If expense is a factor, Scorpion cf's are around $500 to $600, Two Brothers cf's run around $900 to $1000.

Scorp2.jpg

this is probably one of the best pictures I have seen of the scorps. I felt they protruded too much but this puts it in perspective and I am definately considering the fact that they are cheaper than TB, I suppose if I dont like them I can always revert to stock and then later something else, I think that I am going to stick with my first idea of Scorps but I feel much more confident now after having everyone chime in on it, thanks everyone.

The feature that gives the edge to the Scorpions over other non-Two Brothers systems are the larger, more substanial looking tailpipes.
As I mentioned earlier, Two Brothers have (arguably) the finest appearance on an FZ6, but Scorpions come a very, very close second, imo.
Two Brothers are reportedly "louder", but that is still moot until both systems are in the same place at the same time.
I should mention that since installing the Scorpions, I feel a bit more vibration through the seat and tank at around 5000 rpm....that's the extra db's at work. Under and over that rpm range, the bike's just as smooth as before. I may install isolating rubber grommets between the muffler support bands and the upper frame attachment to see if it subdues that a bit. It's not to point of being irritating, but it's there. The motor seems to have a bit more response between 2000 and 4000 rpm as well. That may be all between my ears, but perception is reality, right? :D

Ok I did it, ordered the Two Bros carbon with their juice box for tuning from my local Yamaha shop where I bought the bike. They were close to internet prices, 1384.00 USD out the door. Big thanks to Boneman for the great install write up. I have been on the FJR forum for years, nice to have a good forum for the 6!

if design has anything to do with it then i would go with devil if you can believe it or not. I have been acquiring designs from the major companies so that i can make my own and from the looks of it the Devil has the best designed mid-pipe. It splits off further up and looks like it will allow a more even flow between the pipes...You can see by my beautiful arrows how the flow of exhaust would be with each design...

Devil.jpg

scorpions.jpg

Interesting diagrams. Would you happen to have the Akrapovic and Two Bros diagrams? I am interested in: Scorpions, Devils, and Akropovic but have a hard time deciding. I do not want to pay as much as Two Bros is charging.

cheers.

Interesting diagrams. Would you happen to have the Akrapovic and Two Bros diagrams? I am interested in: Scorpions, Devils, and Akropovic but have a hard time deciding. I do not want to pay as much as Two Bros is charging.

cheers.

Here is what i have:

BOS Exhaust:

BOS.jpg

Akrapovic:

Akrapovic.jpg

Devil:

devil.jpg

Leo Vince:

leos.jpg

Scorpions:

Scorps.jpg

i think that two bros is keeping theirs under lock and key... but i hope that those help.

Excellent work there ! Thanks mate. I tried ordering the Scorpions in CF from 2 different vendors and they are out of stock for about a month! Can you believe that? I was hoping to pay around $500 for them.

What do you think of the Akrapovic design? Any good compared to Scorpions?

Excellent work there ! Thanks mate. I tried ordering the Scorpions in CF from 2 different vendors and they are out of stock for about a month! Can you believe that? I was hoping to pay around $500 for them.

What do you think of the Akrapovic design? Any good compared to Scorpions?

have you tried E-bay, they seem to always have the scorpions and they are cheaper. The Akro's are very nice as well as the Leo's... i am still a huge fan of the Devil mid-pipe.

What the heck is the BOS? That chamber looking thing prior to the mufflers is a bit odd. Is it to act as a cross over pipe or something? Or, it is to dampen the sound a bit more? That's unusual.

What the heck is the BOS? That chamber looking thing prior to the mufflers is a bit odd. Is it to act as a cross over pipe or something? Or, it is to dampen the sound a bit more? That's unusual.

i have no idea who BOS is but i found it the other day, the "Pre-Chamber" (thats what I named it) is just their way of splitting the pipe, very simple design and that pre chamber is my least favorite mid pipe design.

the pipe mounting system however is nice in the way that the pipes mount directly to the mount which eliminates the need for the muffler straps (which i don't mind, but i know a few people have expressed a distaste for them. also fairly inventive on their part.

If anyone can help find me best deals on either:
  • Akrapovic
  • Scorpions (Carbon Fiber)
  • Two Bros
I would appreciate it.
I tried Ebay for the CF Scorpions could not find any (only stainless steel)
Both indysuperbikes.com and MotoDepot.com had confirmed that the Carbon Fiber Scorpions were out of stock for about a MONTH!

Damn they cried...

If anyone can help find me best deals on either:
  • Akrapovic
  • Scorpions (Carbon Fiber)
  • Two Bros
I would appreciate it.
I tried Ebay for the CF Scorpions could not find any (only stainless steel)
Both indysuperbikes.com and MotoDepot.com had confirmed that the Carbon Fiber Scorpions were out of stock for about a MONTH!

Damn they cried...

iMotorcycle Store - Home hands down the best prices around and FREE shipping in US! Sorry, but as much as I like Bayside performance here in Vancouver, they couldn't beat imotorcyclestore's prices and shipping ($10 to Canada!!).

I researched prices for almost 2 years on exhausts and imotorcyclestore ALWAYS had the lowest prices. Even if the price was close, their FREE US shipping more than made up for any deals on eBay as you would often get hammered with a $50-$80 shipping quote!

Last edited:
Back