EZ pass on motorcycle?

marsh0787

Reaction score
Visit site
Curious as to if anyone uses it on thier bikes. In NY there are signs that say cars/trucks with one trailer only (or something to that effect) but I've taken the bike on the highway using ezpass before... Is it illegal in NY to use it with a motorcycle? And where do you guys prefer to mount it... I just got a tankbag and was hopeing it would work if I left it in a top pocket.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got my ezpass for my motorcycle in the mail today. It is a special tag for just motorcycles. All you have to do is call ezpass customer service and they will send you one. You could use a regular car tag, if you wanted, but you would get charged the higher rate for a car. I think the rate for motorcycles is 50% of the car rate, but am not totally sure.

As far as mounting it goes, I think it would fit naturally behind the windscreen and it is safe from coming loose and falling off the bike. One thing though, it is branded with a large "M" and the thing, IMO, looks downright dorky when viewing the bike head on. I want to see if I can find a way to mount it on either of the inner fairings.. there is a flat spot near toward the rear near where it meets the tank. If you have a tank bag, those sensors should be able to read it but I suppose the first time you use it, approach with caution.

One more thing, make sure you register your bike's plate # on the website because if it fails to read your tag and your plate is not registered you get hit with a steep fine.

Dino

Reaction score
Visit site
I have one that I use for my Majesty and FZ6. On the Majesty I use velcro on the windscreen. With the FZ I have it on my tank bag. I find that if I stay to the right of the toll booth lane it ususally can be read by the system - but it doesn't always work. Just make sure your license plate is listed with EZ Pass. That way they'll bill you (as opposed to fine you) properly for the toll.

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Illinios version (i-Pass). In IL motorcycles pay the same as cars. I mounted it to the windshield with velcro. The opening in the front of the windshield (2007) is not big enough for the i-Pass to slide out. It works maybe 80% of the time.

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
That thread got me thinking... do you get charged extra if the pass is not read properly and they have to bill you manually using your plate? If not - why put the EZ pass on the bike anyway?

I got my EZ pass (fast lane here in MA) couple of months ago and I registered it for both my car and my bike and I did not get an extra "motorcycle" pass (only a couple more velcro pieces) so I'm assuming the rate here in MA is equivalent for bikes and cars?

I still haven't installed it on my bike as I got the pass a couple of months ago and the bike has been hibernated in my local dealership since December but that thread really got me thinking whether it's worth sticking it to my bike at all.

Last edited:

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Not aware of any legal issues with using it - I've been using mine (fast lane in MA) for a couple of years now. I used to carry it in the pouch of my tank bag and then use a hand to hold it up as I coasted through the booth but mounted to the inside of the screen last summer. It's read every time for me but once.

I will say I valued having it mounted on a fall trip last year when it was raining - not having to take off a glove to pay a toll and the try to get rain gear situated properly again and ending up with a damp glove lining from the process was totally worth it.

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
In MD it's the same transponder for car or motorcycle. I glued a bit of minicell foam on mine and wedge it behind the windscreen. I tried just putting it in my Fieldsheer pants pocket, as that positions it on top of my thigh, but it failed to read. The only issue with the windscreen placement is remembering to remove it when I park my bike.

Tim

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
In NJ its the same rate car or bike. I jammed my square EZPass between the windscreen and front cowl below the instruments. Thats the only way it reads. I've tried it in my packets, jacket packet up front breast, tank bag and none reads. So I just jam it under the windscreen and it works fine. If I don't have it on me my tag is registered so I don't get fined if I don't have it and go thru the EZPass lane.