Motorcycle Skills Exsist in Vehicles

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's True...

About a month ago, I never mentioned it, but I almost was in a serious Accident (In my Car)on the I-55 in Missouri with my Fiance. There was construction going on and they had the interstate down to 1 lane around 8pm-9pm.

Two Vehicles in front of me, a Truck was not paying attention to slowed traffic and Jammed on the brakes. The vehicle behind him Jammed on his and went off into the ditch on the right hand side of the highway. I was next, I literally Jammed on my brakes and did a swerve subconsciously to the left to to the right and braked passed to cars. I was doing 60 when it happened. I was fully paying attention at this time, but it happen so fast. My fiance has wrote for a post. "I just saw some crazy Bond moves" on facebook that night. I laughed but it was sooooooo close inches and seconds.

I didn't tense up I just did what I was told to do on the Motorcycle Rider Course about keeping that attention. There is a part in the course where you ride toward the Rider Instructor and at the last few seconds the Rider Instructor will lift either LEFT or RIGHT hand or a STOP Signal to do a dead stop without locking up the back tire. This is what kicked in, in the heat of the moment.

I'm not perfect, I tend to change CDs once in awhile or have a cup in my hand, or phone here and there but what happened, happened. I think that course kicked in in those seconds. If you haven't taken the course, try it anyway. There are a few types of courses. Like Beginner, Intermediate and Advance.

It was crazy... I know its only text on here, but just hard to explain. I originally wanted Jessica to drive home, but I decided too anyway.

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Amazing what skills you realize or forget in the heat of the moment! Glad you reacted correctly. 95% of drivers only know how to do one thing when confronted with a situation on the roadway....SLAM THE BRAKES and death grip the steering wheel!

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I got started on the bike first... I think that the "motorcyclist" driving style carried through my cager driving style. I'm always paying attention at what's going on, other driver behavior, road condition and the most important of all. What your car, or bike can and cannot do. Knowing the limit of the vehicle you're driving is an important part of keeping the rubber down and on the road!

Good job... keep it up!