Failed Soupy's lowering link

GrayHatPaul

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I had my local dealership install a Soupy's lowering link but I think they performed the install incorrectly.

I say this because a few months and a few hundred miles later, the threads on the bottom of the rear shock stripped off and came free from the lower mount.

The dealership claims no responsibility for a faulty install when it clearly looks like they only screwed the lowering link half way onto the shock.

So now I have to save up for a new shock ($305 for stock at Boats.net) and another lowering link ($79).

I am considering attempting the installation myself and need to call on the expertise of you other forum members.

1. Do you have to drop the rear tire or chain to remove and replace the rear shock?

2. I understand a shock compressor (small enough to fit onto the installed shock) is required, any suggestions on brand/model of an inexpensive but quality spring compressor that will only be used once? Anyone have one they used once and would like to sell?

3. Any other gotcha's while doing the shock replacement that I should know about?

I also have to invest in a motorcycle jack as my FZ6 no longer has a center stand.

Thanks for reading and more importantly, your responses.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Go to Skooter and get used shock from part out. Take it to shop, have them remove the spring.
Take shock home and carefully clamp the shaft at the shocks end and use a large wrench to unscrew the end.
Determine length required from old part to existing part.
- If i were doing this, i would do the math to determine how deep your threads need to be, drill to depth and then use a bottom tap to cut new threads. The benefit here is you have a guide. Once threads are cut to depth, now cut length and clean the threads with brake cleaner. Apply red loctite to threads and tighten to the shock shaft as tight as it was before.
Install spring.

If any of that seems out of reach, buy a new lowering link and have the shop intall it.

Please be careful! That spring can unleash some serious kick @ss and mess you up...

Just remove the pods and rear huger. Shock comes right out.... Pic in this thread... http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...-alternatives-how-install-r1-shock-w-pic.html

GrayHatPaul

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice [MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION] [emoji4]

My plan is to obtain a new/used shock. Buy a new lowering link and install. I would like to do the install myself but know I need a few tools.

Any advice from someone who has actually removed their rear shock? What spring compressor did you use? What about a jack or lift under the bike? Recommendations?

Thanks

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice [MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION] [emoji4]

My plan is to obtain a new/used shock. Buy a new lowering link and install. I would like to do the install myself but know I need a few tools.

Any advice from someone who has actually removed their rear shock? What spring compressor did you use? What about a jack or lift under the bike? Recommendations?

Thanks

I'm just saying be safe! People have lost fingers for less!

That spring is rated at 727 lbs/in. On its lowest setting its compressed about 0.5 to 0.75" and to remove the hat you need to compress it roughly 2.25" so like I said, use the right tools or this can be VERY DANGEROUS! I'd guess you'll be up over 1400 lbs and you don't need anything to go wrong!
  • This is NOT the time to make do or do an experiment.
  • Either get the right tool for the job or let someone else do it.
Most shops will do it for nothing if you bring them some kind of work. It takes a special compressor to get these small springs off as there is little room to work to remove the C shaped retainer.

I've had mine out and apart a couple times (link -> How to install an R1 Shock w/pic but I used the right tool as I built a relationship with the suspension guy.....
As stated, its just basic tools to get it out.
Good luck and BE SAFE!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just to add to the above, if buying a used shock, just get it with the spring.

Most folks don't change them out, especially if going aftermarket...

It'd likely be harder to find one WITHOUT a spring already installed...